Faulty Subway Sign Mixes up Colors for B and C lines

Quill Depot

[float=left]post-5097-0-04121600-1345728260_thumb.jpg[/float]Subway riders in New York navigate by a combination of rote and conditioned reflexes — making the correct turns, choosing the right platform and (except on rare, embarrassing occasions) jumping on the right train without much thought.

They also rely on a poetic sense of color: Broadway lines, for example, are red; the Eighth Avenue lines are blue.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-04121600-1345728260_thumb.jpg

They should leave it up as a social experiment. See how many people actually notice it or not. Also, it's pretty wild seeing the B as a blue line. It makes me think of re-organization of the lines where the (A)(B)(C) go on 8th ave while (D)(E)(F) go on 6th ave.

They should leave it up as a social experiment. See how many people actually notice it or not. Also, it's pretty wild seeing the B as a blue line. It makes me think of re-organization of the lines where the (A)(B)(C) go on 8th ave while (D)(E)(F) go on 6th ave.

But change the (C) orange to the real darker orange. And the (E) terminates at Second Avenue.

Oh boy... Can we not get all philosophical here? <_< It was just a wrong sign. Besides when trains have to run on different tracks ( (2) train via the (5) in Manhattan for example), people get on just the same. All they care about is that the train is going somewhere, perhaps in their direction. Sad but true.

Unfortunately, this re-organization isn't possible...The (B) can't run on 8th Avenue, not to mention that having the (B), (E), (F), and (M) all on one track doesn't work.

Sure it can. You'd probably get tie-ups with the switches, but all you'd have to do is have it use the switch by West 4th Street to get back onto the 6th Avenue Line to Brooklyn.

The (E) makes its way over to 6th Avenue whenever it has to terminate at 2nd Avenue.

It looks like it can be done northbound, but not southbound. Northbound, the (B) would have to pull into Broadway/Lafayette on the express track, cross over to the local track, and then cross over to the 8th Avenue local track.

Southbound it can't do it because there's no crossover by Broadway-Lafayette.

In any case, I don't see the big deal here. I mean, it's still pointing them to the (B)(C) trains.

Archived