( 3 ) to the bronx.

depotofrelax

This is slightly related.

Since the New Lots line has a higher demand for 7 Av than does the Flatbush line (since that also has the (5)), would it be reasonable to send the (2) back to New Lots, with the (3) going to Flatbush? This isn't for foam reasons, it just seems like a good idea. Since the 3 runs less often than the 2 IIRC, the (5) trains to Utica could be rerouted to Flatbush if needed.

I never knew the IRT Livonia Avenue Line has a higher demand for Broadway/7th Avenue service than the IRT Nostrand Avenue Line. To my experience, many people got off at Utica Avenue for the (4) express if their destination is Manhattan's East Side of course. But yeah, the (3) is crowded at rush hour due to Brownsville and East New York goers.

I never knew the IRT Livonia Avenue Line has a higher demand for Broadway/7th Avenue service than the IRT Nostrand Avenue Line. To my experience, many people got off at Utica Avenue for the (4) express if their destination is Manhattan's East Side of course. But yeah, the (3) is crowded at rush hour due to Brownsville and East New York goers.

I said that only because there is no second service to help the (3) east of Utica Av. Hence, the more frequent service should go to New Lots, with the (5) s to Utica being rerouted to cover decreased 7 Av service along Nostrand.

@Donald: It's a one-time change, so people will get used to it pretty quickly.

Exactly, six minutes combined. That means a (2) or a (3) train every 12 minutes.

But the thing is, the (2) and (3) on the weekend don't always run on an even headaway of 6 minutes apart. It really isn't uncommon to have one train come not long after the other and then wait some 8-10 minutes for the next one.

But the thing is, the (2) and (3) on the weekend don't always run on an even headaway of 6 minutes apart. It really isn't uncommon to have one train come not long after the other and then wait some 8-10 minutes for the next one.

That is true. The combined headway is 6 minutes, I never said the trains would come 6 minutes apart, but the combined waiting time of all trains arriving is 6 minutes. If it was spaced out, then probably the headways would be more even.

This is slightly related.

Since the New Lots line has a higher demand for 7 Av than does the Flatbush line (since that also has the (5)), would it be reasonable to send the (2) back to New Lots, with the (3) going to Flatbush? This isn't for foam reasons, it just seems like a good idea. Since the 3 runs less often than the 2 IIRC, the (5) trains to Utica could be rerouted to Flatbush if needed.

what would run to flatbush over night, or are we suggesting 24/7 3 service, which would mean 3 IRT lines in brooklyn overnight, as you can't short change the east side.

you would also have to think of all those 3s that will still need to head to Livionia. Even though the others do send a few runs that way today, this would be basicly shifting the 3 back once it's time to start laying them up for the night.

Will there ever be plan to sent the (3) to the Bronx in near future. Some R62 store at 239 street yard. home of the (2)

Sure, to be washed at 239 Yard. Really, no. Yes, the (2) covers that (going to the Bronx) and the Lenox Terminal was added later, which is why, although the tracks run straight into 145th Street, Train Operators have to accept a Divergent Route lineup to go to Lenox.

The way I see it, the extra-long (2) to New Lots will just cause more delays. The (2) really needs fewer delays, not more.

Not saying I advocate for it, but I don't think going to New Lots would make the (2) any more delay-prone. The route is fairly straightforward, and there is more capacity at the terminal. Plus, I think it would have an easier time passing through Rogers Junction.

But in any case, I think the setup is fine as is.

Archived