Clever Devices on Neoplans and MCI in Fairview

SirJokaPlaya

Will there every be an MCI over haul program? Considering many are entering senior-hood... I remember when I was a kid the MC9s were being retired and the introduction of the D4000's was beginning... from what I remember those buses were in much worse shape than the 4000's at this same point..

The most notable wearing on these buses is the destination signs themselves.. are there any plans on them being replaced with the new LED signs? On my drive home from work every night I see these things that are almost illegible.."554 Atlantic City" looks like "54 At--.ti- C-ty... and it's not just one, its a lot of them.. would be cool to see them utilize the LED

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saw some 7400s and 8200s out of Howell with Clever Devices just now. Not sure if the stop announcements are working, but the route ones are. Videos coming soon.

Videos up yet?

Will there every be an MCI over haul program? Considering many are entering senior-hood... I remember when I was a kid the MC9s were being retired and the introduction of the D4000's was beginning... from what I remember those buses were in much worse shape than the 4000's at this same point..

The most notable wearing on these buses is the destination signs themselves.. are there any plans on them being replaced with the new LED signs? On my drive home from work every night I see these things that are almost illegible.."554 Atlantic City" looks like "54 At--.ti- C-ty... and it's not just one, its a lot of them.. would be cool to see them utilize the LED

I'm sorry dude but I'm old school. I grew up with the flip dots and I will always love the flip dots. LED looks worse than flip dots when LED is fubar'd, IMO. The only thing GOOD about LED is that they can display more info since the fonts take up less space than the flip dots due to the size of the actual dot. Plus, since some of these buses are over 10 years old and NJT will no doubt start the process of looking into buying newer buses, especially with all the garages having MCI's that are 10 years old or older, some of the older MCI's in Howell and Ironbound (2000's and 1999's), I don't think it would be feasible to waste money on that technology at this moment, even using the Clever Devices. There are over 600 MCI's out on the road that is 11 years old or older. They will soon need to be replaced.

Yea, it sucks that only the 7100s and the 9000s (and CNGs) are the only MCI cruisers with the LED signs!

Nice shot of the 132 and 8229 with clever device btw the 10 is finally programmed with everything i rode it at noon from NJCU so thats a plus, As SJP said the MCI is taking a beating and sooner or later they will repaced of course i would like to see LED they have in Orange it is much easy to see than the current they have now. The question is which bus will it be since it will be MCI with the contract that remains other than the designline for South Jersey

You have to consider the MC-9s were nearing or were at 20 years old when they were being phased out by the D4000/4500s. Huge age difference there.

I give it a month before they take it off the MCI's, especially the 130's, 166, 167, 128, 129, 319, and 551. Too many snobby people would complain about them on the buses.

You are saying that they would remove the stop to stop annoucements on those 'express' routes? The Clever Devices have to stay on the MCIs is so we can also track them online in real time.

They recently added a new PSA, that says "visit njtransit.com for realtime updates and alerts"

I give it a month before they take it off the MCI's, especially the 130's, 166, 167, 128, 129, 319, and 551.

Too many snobby people would complain about them on the buses.

Learn something everyday...

Didn't know there were snobs on the 551.... the other routes you list, I'm well aware of those of 'em on them....

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="B35 via Church" data-cid="637864" data-time="1359324510"><p>

Learn something everyday...<br />

Didn't know there were snobs on the 551.... the other routes you list, I'm well aware of those of 'em on them....</p></blockquote>

Ride that shyt everyday.....lol youll see.

I only rode it twice in my time and there were a few people that I wouldn't mind telling them to fly a kite to be quite honest. As for realtime updates and alerts, fine, keep them, but take off those damn announcements. Bad enough the passengers have to hear them. The B/O has to hear em. It's super annoying. I liked it old school.

Didn't the O7 NGs have the "Please exit through the rear door" announcement under the MTA? When I rode 1810 and 1777 this past weekend they didn't do that, so I guess they got rid of that now.

Don't the OGs suppose to have that feature? I heard they came with it, but the MTA never used them.

I like 'em. At least they work, unlike on NICE's 3G's.

Both don't call out the stops just yet (at least out of Howell). 

It's basically the same system between the two, they even have the same "STOP REQUESTED" announcement, they just never bothered programming it at NICE yet. I don't think NJT really programmed anything either, except the route announcements when the doors open.

Remember, this is a different system than what's used on the other LIB/NICE buses, it's a newer GPS-based system that probably takes time to program.

Archived