The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

Dave come on now thats how it always is with New Folks chit happens..

No matter how much some think "They got it"...

BTW im hearing "stories" about a T/O in the B Div posting hes already starting to Piss folks off a know it all..

Thats Ok though hes gonna learn and quick...

I think hes in Mediccjh's class...

Find out

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hope they weren't all from my class. I know of one where the mc slipped out of his hand. What were the others?

Hope they werent from our class either. I havent heard anything other than a mc slip while stopped at a station.

Why is that such a big deal?! I know they dont want you going bie, but if you're stopped at a sta and you mistakenly let go of the mc why do they take it so seriously??

Monday morning, did a trip on the (B) and one on the (C).

Lessons learned:

1. Getting up at 2 in the morning SUCKS, and I have to do it again tomorrow.
2. I do not like the R68As.
3. I like the R68s.
4. The R32s still are my favorite trains to operate. 
4a. The best way to operate the R32 is to do so standing.

Today, did a job on the (M). No issues.

Dave come on now thats how it always is with New Folks chit happens..

No matter how much some think "They got it"...

BTW im hearing "stories" about a T/O in the B Div posting hes already starting to Piss folks off a know it all..

Thats Ok though hes gonna learn and quick...

I think hes in Mediccjh's class...

Not my class. Same induction date, but in the other B Division Class. And I'm not surprised at who it is.

Pleasure to meet ya, RTO. 

Hope they werent from our class either. I havent heard anything other than a mc slip while stopped at a station.

Why is that such a big deal?! I know they dont want you going bie, but if you're stopped at a sta and you mistakenly let go of the mc why do they take it so seriously??

Yeah I heard about that one. He was reaching for the route request box and didn't keep enough pressure on the master controller while reaching out the window and it dumped.

I noticed today when leaving Grand Central 42nd St heading to 59th st on the express track there are quite a few new signals (I counted about 5-7 new signals) installed along the way that are not operational yet. I'm guessing those are going to be new timers to slow us down coming into 59th St northbound on the (4) and (5).

I'll be keeping an eye out for that bulletin.

Edited by elantra06

Yeah I heard about that one. He was reaching for the route request box and didn't keep enough pressure on the master controller while reaching out the window and it dumped.

I noticed today when leaving Grand Central 42nd St heading to 59th st on the express track there are quite a few new signals (I counted about 5-7 new signals) installed along the way that are not operational yet. I'm guessing those are going to be new timers to slow us down coming into 59th St northbound on the (4) and (5).

SMH, slowing down the railroad. Edited by Success7

Ok now this new class of A div T/O's got us TSS'S and Supts working overtime. We had 3 incidents and one of them had 2 of the 3 today.

No one hit a signal to when we went down the road today. 2 trips. Burnside to Bowling Green to Burnside to Bowling Green to Mosh Yd. There were, however, 3 dumps.

I did dump twice and put a bonnet out of one station our first time down the road a couple of weeks back. It was nerve racking enough to get control of my train.

Edited by kevinetics

No one hit a signal to when we went down the road today. 2 trips. Burnside to Bowling Green to Burnside to Bowling Green to Mosh Yd. There were, however, 3 dumps.

I did dump twice and put a bonnet out of one station our first time down the road a couple of weeks back. It was nerve racking enough to get control of my train.

Lol I guess that's why my follower was 20 mins behind me when I pulled into Mosholu Parkway today. I was like that can't be right. I said to the T/O I was posting with something is plugging up the road behind us.

Edited by elantra06

Improper Operation they start with five days in the street..

READ that Rule book....

Monday morning, did a trip on the (B) and one on the (C).

Lessons learned:

1. Getting up at 2 in the morning SUCKS, and I have to do it again tomorrow.

2. I do not like the R68As.

3. I like the R68s.

4. The R32s still are my favorite trains to operate. 

4a. The best way to operate the R32 is to do so standing.

Today, did a job on the (M). No issues.

Not my class. Same induction date, but in the other B Division Class. And I'm not surprised at who it is.

Pleasure to meet ya, RTO. 

Same!  :)

Yep, those have been there for a while. I'm guessing they're going to be to help enforce the posted 10MPH leaving GCT going northbound.

Should still be able to fly into 59th, the downgrade isn't "that" bad and you can stop a train from 46 with ease. If you're doing it right, it should be impossible to run out of the station anyway - take a big brake 50 feet from the entering end of the station and hold it till you're down to about 15-20 by or just past the CR board, then coast up to the marker and make your final stop. Why? Give the announcement time to play, and you'll be certain not to overrun it. If you can make your stop right as the announcement finishes "and using your Metrocard" you've done it perfect. If you fly in, make a perfect stop, the announcement does not complete, you enable, and your CR opens, the next stop announcement will not play for almost 20 seconds (if your CR lets it play at all).

RE: punching for lineup, that's why you always take a full service before you punch. Then let the deadman go, and punch. (not for you specifically...just in general for anyone reading this)

Edited by SubwayGuy

Question for the vets: does MTA offer other training/development courses once passing schoolcar and probation? if so is it done on your dime and time?

Yes. There are additional qualifications.

OPTO (One Person Train Operation) - trains you to operate doors while operating the train (no conductor - used on some shorter train lines)

Also, once you are able to pick a job in the other division, you can qualify on that division's equipment and routes.

You can also pick work trains and get miscellaneous qualification which allows you to move diesels etc.

We got one Student put the train BIE 3 times. We got a few other new T/O's with issues. My hand is hurts from all the paper work 4 reports since yesterday 3 Improper train operation cases and a 12-9.

i got stuck at 96 for 2 and a half hours because of that 12-9. They cut the power and we had to sit there. Then sill had to go down to NL. I got to take that train lite back up to 148, that was fun.

Now that's one I don't understand. Why didn't that individual simply take a full service which is the most logical and easy thing to do.

Now that's one I don't understand. Why didn't that individual simply take a full service which is the most logical and easy thing to do.

Just a guess, but if he was posting, the trainer probably suggested that it takes too much time to take a full service, punch, and then release. So instead, said to just reach over and punch with one hand while holding the MC with the other. But since it dumped, it wasted even more time.

Just a guess, but if he was posting, the trainer probably suggested that it takes too much time to take a full service, punch, and then release. So instead, said to just reach over and punch with one hand while holding the MC with the other. But since it dumped, it wasted even more time.

Exactly a BAD HABIT...

Those are the things you should not be picking up while posting and"Letting go" of that controller and having the train go into emergency isn't "just ok"...  <_<

Ahh...improper operation...got you RTOman. I've heard that term thrown around a lot. Guess thats a really big deal!

Had a good time this past week posting on the 4. Tomorrow im on my own out of WDL!!!! Kinda excited!

Heard some details about the 12-9 that happened the other day...pretty gruesome.

Ahh...improper operation...got you RTOman. I've heard that term thrown around a lot. Guess thats a really big deal!

Had a good time this past week posting on the 4. Tomorrow im on my own out of WDL!!!! Kinda excited!

Heard some details about the 12-9 that happened the other day...pretty gruesome.

Welcome to the grind have a safe one..

I know the TO who is involved with at hes doing better spoke to him.

Operated on the (RR) today (Yes, I know it hasn't been that since 1985. I grew up calling it that. Deal with it). 

Got stuck on the Broadway Conga Line, again, due to the (Q) that was stuck at 57 St. 

On the (G) tomorrow, then back in the classroom next week. 

Operated on the (RR) today (Yes, I know it hasn't been that since 1985. I grew up calling it that. Deal with it). 

Got stuck on the Broadway Conga Line, again, due to the (Q) that was stuck at 57 St. 

On the (G) tomorrow, then back in the classroom next week. 

(G)uess the Stop Marker Marker!!! What a fun game!!!   :D  :D  :D  :D