The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

Ill say it again if you are a probie TO working Overtime(on the List) is not recommended.

Now if you get turned or something else job wise (penalty job) thats another matter.

That's the truth, RTOman. I don't know what they teach in schoolcar these days, maybe some of the current classes can tell me. I do know that back in the day we were specifically warned not to work OT, especially while on probation. The specific wording was on the order of " you'd be a dumb a** to blow your job and pension" on a day you had no reason to be on the property. With the way I've heard Labor Relations works these days I'd stay as far away from the job as I could. Back then they weren't as cutthroat as they appear to be today as far as discipline is concerned so I doubt the risk is worth the short term monetary reward. Just my opinion. Carry on.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the truth, RTOman. I don't know what they teach in schoolcar these days, maybe some of the current classes can tell me. I do know that back in the day we were specifically warned not to work OT, especially while on probation. The specific wording was on the order of " you'd be a dumb a** to blow your job and pension" on a day you had no reason to be on the property. With the way I've heard Labor Relations works these days I'd stay as far away from the job as I could. Back then they weren't as cutthroat as they appear to be today as far as discipline is concerned so I doubt the risk is worth the short term monetary reward. Just my opinion. Carry on.

Exactly Trainmaster Labor Relations is out for blood these days.

You think Schoolcar is going to like taking a hit for a TO who posted on a line Once Seven months ago then runs a homeball during rush hour?

Dont even Know the railroad as it is yet thirsty for OT ? Smh...

Nothing wrong with wanting to get paid but at least make sure you know what yer doing though..

Edited by RTOMan

Schoolcar today pretty much tells us the same thing, get through your probation first before jumping on any OT.

Edited by Big Blue

I'm going to play off of RTOMan on his last comments. You have vets out there now gunning for OT and messing up on an RDO. So on that note. Do your homework and know what your doing out there. Get familiar with the line on the first half of the trip and respect the yellows to the tenth degree of the law. If it's required of school car probies who all have to post and work the various lines on the XX list then it should be required of the vets too. To all...read the bulletin board and be aware of any supplements running for the day. However if you're new don't go jumping through hoops to grab OT on an RDO especially if you only worked a regular 5 day a week job before coming to transit. You of all will need your rest and getting the mind to focus in that cab is difficult on short rest.

They taught us in schoolcar not to be in a rush to work an RDO, just as you guys r saying. However, it is up to the individual T/O if they wanna risk it. I've been thinking about it, only cause I would like to bank another day or two but i am very hesitant. Things been going well on my regular shift and i dont wanna mess anything up!

Edited by beneka

I'm starting schoolcar 5/20, what will the paychecks be "ballpark" while I'm in training

$1500

thats 40 hours a week with no OT and your pension and retiree health benefit deductions. it'll be less if you do 401(k) and other stuff. you get paid $30.0375/hr, even in training

They literally just finished up their pick process last week. The next one won't come up for awhile.

so early november? my last day of schoolcar is nov 21st!!! i hope it gets delayed for some reason so i get to pick. i'll be senior to 470 train operators by then (actually around 500 since i'm pretty high in my current class too). if the B division is really hurting for T/Os there should be some leftover jobs, even if they suck

$1500

thats 40 hours a week with no OT and your pension and retiree health benefit deductions. it'll be less if you do 401(k) and other stuff. you get paid $30.0375/hr, even in training

so early november? my last day of schoolcar is nov 21st!!! i hope it gets delayed for some reason so i get to pick. i'll be senior to 470 train operators by then (actually around 500 since i'm pretty high in my current class too). if the B division is really hurting for T/Os there should be some leftover jobs, even if they suck

$1500

Depends upon your tax bracket as well. I figure to walk with 1700-1900 every two weeks. 

I was'nt being arrogant when inquireing aout OT just trying to figure my budget. You hear so many different stories out on the street about how much TO'S earn "Are you kidding those guys make over $100,000" ect. " It's a city job peace of cake" I have alot of respect for you guys even 30 years ago as a punk in High school. Anyway for financial reasons as well as a million other things I'm going to decline the position. Thankyou for your service.

Mike

"

Are you kidding those guys make over $100,000" ect. "

Those Folks who make that Money is Blood Money.....

Trust me they Crawl to their homes on their Friday...

Maybe in another 20 years i can crack the 70 grand a year number...

Good Luck in what you got going!

As a New T/O you will have a bigger spotlight on you..

My point stands.

I don't disagree at all. As a matter of fact I completely agree. I just wish that guys working RDOs on a line they haven't worked in awhile would do the wise thing and respect the yellows. You can't treat a RDO line like your pick line. Yeah the expression goes you don't know if signals came out and re-calibrated the timers overnight. That statement bodes even more true for an RDO job on a different line.

I don't disagree at all. As a matter of fact I completely agree. I just wish that guys working RDOs on a line they haven't worked in awhile would do the wise thing and respect the yellows. You can't treat a RDO line like your pick line. Yeah the expression goes you don't know if signals came out and re-calibrated the timers overnight. That statement bodes even more true for an RDO job on a different line.

Thats why im glad a heck i have no need to work and RDO period... Now i have been turned and have done extra trips late clears for lay ups yes..

The end is nigh.....

Past 2 days have been nothing but review and busy work (for lack of a better term).

Taking an R68A for a joyride tomorrow; probably Concourse to Brighton Beach via Local. We want to practice on the 68As one last time.

The end is nigh.....

Past 2 days have been nothing but review and busy work (for lack of a better term).

Taking an R68A for a joyride tomorrow; probably Concourse to Brighton Beach via Local. We want to practice on the 68As one last time.

Go get em!  :)

Lots of road posting going on out there. Any of the TSS' hearing any feedback or crazy stories yet? I know there was a station over run at 14th gap fillers yesterday. Actually, I think he pulled out too fast and hit the stop before the gf cleared. Not sure if it was a student though.

Edited by subwaydriver

Lots of road posting going on out there. Any of the TSS' hearing any feedback or crazy stories yet? I know there was a station over run at 14th gap fillers yesterday. Actually, I think he pulled out too fast and hit the stop before the gf cleared. Not sure if it was a student though.

Actually the leaving signal was hit. The person was focused on the gap filler signal off to the distance and forgot to check the leaving signal which is closer as well as it's associated stop arm which is not visible unless you stand up and if you are of a certain height you won't even notice the leaving signal unless you make a mental note to lean forward and double check it.

It happens. It's a learning experience for everyone out there in the field.

It was neither. He just pulled too for back on the handle and put the train into emergency leaving the station. Said he took a hard brake because he thought the leaving hooligan signal dropped on him but it didn't. That red out the corner in the side window just scared him and he pulled back to far and put the handle in emergency. I heard the RCI say the was no strike mark and snow block was intact so no signal overrun. Gotta defend my classmates lol. Edited by Success7