No. 7 line short for Lunar New Year

realizm

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe you're sitting up here comparing Toronto to New York City.... Two very different places... 

VG8 the TTC (Toronto version of the (MTA) does run on major holidays i.e Christmas, New Years, Easter Sunday but with subways and most bus lines running every 20 minutes or more. This guy must be talking the 'burus' of Toronto.

And with realizm i do think a compromise could made here. I let you guys dicuss it. However the work has to be done for CBTC improvments as what i say.

VG8 the TTC (Toronto version of the (MTA) does run on major holidays i.e Christmas, New Years, Easter Sunday but with subways and most bus lines running every 20 minutes or more. This guy must be talking the 'burus' of Toronto.

And with realizm i do think a compromise could made here. I let you guys dicuss it. However the work has to be done for CBTC improvments as what i say.

Even so you really can't compare NYC to Toronto... Sorry, you just can't... No place like NYC and I've been in Canada and in Europe... Transit is good in both places but NYC is unique in and of itself.

Even so you really can't compare NYC to Toronto... Sorry, you just can't... No place like NYC and I've been in Canada and in Europe... Transit is good in both places but NYC is unique in and of itself.

Montreal is not the same as Toronto(Canada's largest and 4th biggest metro area in North America.) And you only been to couple of countries in Europe VG8 including Italy. Lets not make it you travelered the world.

Well yeah this is a sort of catch 22 in a way sort of speak considering the upcoming Baseball season and possibly the US Open. I'm just saying that Chinese New Year I think is something that should be a top priority as well. I think what some posters are not understanding is that I am trying to look at things objectively, even as I am Chinese/Indian American with a heart for the residents in Flushing who need to observe the new year as it is a very important part of their culture, I means millions of Asian Americans and also immigrants from oversees.. One weekend can't possibly set the MTA so severely that they will not make the deadline. 

For one thing with the increased ridership one can only imaging the delays and conjestion at QBP and 74thSt/Roosevelt on the (7) and the (E), (F) and (R). (Considering that that the (M) does not run on weekends.)

Montreal is not the same as Toronto(Canada's largest and 4th biggest metro area in North America.) And you only been to couple of countries in Europe VG8 including Italy. Lets not make it you travelered the world.

Listen buddy... I've been to more places than you know about... I spent months doing nothing but traveling, so I've been around... Can you say the same? The point still remains that you can't compare NYC to any other city... Period, not even here in the U.S. 

Now I think of it my original plans were to do even more traveling than what I do, spanning close to hundred cities... I didn't too bad at close to 40...  :D 

May I ask what exactly makes New York so 'unique' that you can't draw parallels to any other city, anywhere?

Is it the population? If so, give your head a freaking shake.

Are you kidding me?? New York is like the capital of the world... Name one place that you can compare to New York?? Milan comes to mind but even that is a joke... It's a very small New York... Now Toronto... I get it... It's the financial hub of Canada and the largest city... Some similarities to New York I'd say, but I still wouldn't consider it anywhere on par with New York in some many areas.  And even when I was Germany, Frankfurt was a joke... Cute but certainly no New York... Montréal... A little European, slower version of New York... I bring up Europe because it is known for having great transit, but a lot of lines are shut down overnight because they can.  In New York, you don't have that luxury because people are out and about 24/7.

After living and traveling for months and coming back to New York I actually have to come to realize what a special place this is on so many levels... Transportation is like no other place.... Cultural institutions... Amazing restaurants... And on and on...

On a cultural level I felt that when I've been to Rome on several occasions, but still no New York.  Anytime I have clients in from abroad they always remark at how grand New York is and that's some you cannot deny.

The question is where do you draw the line in the sand...??

You have to start somewhere... Giving in will just start giving other groups the same argument about 'what about me' when it's their turn to be impacted by service interruptions. Thus why nothing will ever be done because the MTA has to cater to every group's demands.

The people are over blowing the issue. You'd think the (7) was suspended entirely and replaced with a bus. But it's just suspended west of QBP. (Q) trains are being extended to Queens to help boost frequency on the Astoria line to accommodate the extra riders. There's also a fairly large Asian community in Brooklyn, so perhaps now instead of getting off the (N)(Q) at 42nd-TS, they'll just get off at QBP. What is so end of the world about that? I mean are we talking about over 30,000-40,000 riders compared to the amount of people going to the baseball games each day?
Asians don't currently transfer from Broadway to the Flushing line at Times Square anyway. The station is too much of a maze, and they don't like reading signs not in their language. Meanwhile, everyone understands what it means when a train signed (7) or <7> pulls up right across the platform…

So normally what trains do they usually take besides the (N) to QBP: (6) to 59th-Lex* and transfer or (R) to 74th?

*for the sake of things the (7) is not included.

Well the (E) or the (F) from Roosevelt Ave to the Flushing IRT which is insanely crowded on the normal weekends as it is. Or the LIRR but as someone brought out not everyone got the money to take the ride on the railroad to Main Street.

From the footnote: the (7) has to be included, obviously. How else a person can get to Main Street? (Please don't tell me the bus!)

Asians don't currently transfer from Broadway to the Flushing line at Times Square anyway. The station is too much of a maze, and they don't like reading signs not in their language. Meanwhile, everyone understands what it means when a train signed (7) or <7> pulls up right across the platform…

True, it's usually 5th Ave from the 6th AVE IND or Grand Central from the IND or Lex IRT.

So normally what trains do they (in Chinatown) usually take besides the (N) to QBP: (6) to 59th-Lex* and transfer or (R) directly to 74th?

*for the sake of things the (7) is not included.

Most people in Chinatown don't actually use the (N) - Canal St has an extremely confusing station layout, and the station is at the western fringe of Chinatown. (Chinatown used to be centered in that area, but has expanded eastwards towards the East River.)

Nowadays, I'd say the preeminent "Chinatown" station would be Grand St on the (B) and (D), which is much closer to the geographic center of Chinatown (and doesn't require breathing the noxious fumes of all the cars trying to cut to the Holland Tunnel). A handful of people even make the trek to East Broadway on the (F) or even Delancey. Asian people in Brooklyn also tend to be clustered around the (D) and (B), and to a lesser extent the (N) and (R), so 5th Av and Times Square are the biggest transfer stations for Flushing-bound Asians. (They could transfer at QBP, sure, but why would they, when they could get a seat at Times Square or 5th Av?) Obviously that's not an option with the GO, so there are going to be a lot of confused elderly Asians (and some younger ones) who are going to have no idea what to do.

Slipped my mind about the (B)(D), good points there. I take it they would transfer for the (F) to go to 74th? I mean technically taking the (F) is the better option as it is an express and the (7) is local on the weekends. I would usually take the (E)(F) to the (7) on the weekends if I needed to visit my grandparents in Flushing.

74th is bound to be a dangerous place on Lunar New Year, because there are only two routes between the Queens Blvd and Flushing Line platforms.

I would say they'd actually take the Chinese vans, but since those won't be available on Lunar New Year they just might not make the trip at all, which is the reason why businesses in Flushing are crying foul in the first place.

True, it's usually 5th Ave from the 6th AVE IND or Grand Central from the IND or Lex IRT.
Hah! Grand Central? Surely you jest.

EDIT: I do remember my mom holding on to me to visit the doctor in Chinatown as we went down the (6). I believe this was during the time when there was also no <7> due to long term construction on the local track. Going to Chinatown via the (6) was otherwise rare since Spring Street was on the fringes of Chinatown (or maybe not even Chinatown at all).

"Because we have such a limited opportunity to perform Flushing line work during baseball season, these general orders for work must move forward during the remainder of the year"

-- Kevin Ortiz (MTA) spokesman.

Couldn't they also do this work even on weekends when the Mets aren't playing, like they did in 2011?

And also just like how there was no (4) service from Woodlawn to Yankee Stadium on a couple of weekends last summer; both weekends the Yanks were away.

Difference is you have the (D) still running to Yankee Stadium on those weekends, and the Bronx stops are for the most part within walking distance of (4) stations, plus you have the Metro-North Station nearby as well.  The Yankees probably don't care as much about a G.O. being done when they are away because even in the unlikely event you have an emergency situation where a weekend series (not even necessairly involving the Yankees) had to be moved by MLB to Yankee Stadium for whatever reason on very short notice, the (D) (possibly supplemented by (B) service) and Metro-North could handle that. 

On the other hand, the Mets probably asked the (MTA) not to schedule any G.O.'s during baseball season even when the Mets are on the road in case a series where the Mets are supposed to be the road team had to unexpectedly be moved to Citi Field on super-short notice, much like what happened a couple of years ago when the Phillies were supposed to play the Blue Jays in Toronto at the Rogers Centre (formerly SkyDome) only because of an economic summit that had to be moved to Toronto from elsewhere, that series had to be played at Citizens Bank Park.  The Mets would likely be concerned that a similar scenario to that one, no matter how unlikely winding up happening to where the Mets likely asked the (MTA) not to do anything that shuts the (7) down even when the Mets are on the road just in case that scenario happened (that that seems to have happened in recent years with increased frequency, although it's still rare it happens) or even where a series involving teams other than the Mets had to be moved to Citi Field so employees who would be needed at Citi Field in such an emergency situation can get there.  Add to it the (MTA) can't have G.O.'s taking place on the (7) during the US Open at Flushing Meadows (late August-early September) and that's where the big issue involving doing G.O.'s on the (7) during baseball season comes in.

Off topic but I see they are also doing a fasttrack on the (D) next week (Starting Jan 14th?) - in preparation for the Yankee baseball season. I saw the signs posted already a week in  advance. All trains will terminate at 161 street, with Manhattan bound trains skipping 155th Street.

They can cancel G.O.s at the last minute too.

Off topic but I see they are also doing a fasttrack on the (D) next week (Starting Jan 14th?) - in preparation for the Yankee baseball season. I saw the signs posted already a week in advance. All trains will terminate at 161 street, with Manhattan bound trains skipping 155th Street.

Yeah, like how there were only 3 FasTrack nights on the (4)(5)(6) (Mon-Wed nights) in early Sept last year, due to a Madonna concert that Thursday, although that week was coming off a labor day weekend.

They can cancel G.O.s at the last minute too.

That may be true, but that may not be good enough for the Mets. 

The Wilpons might be much more concerned about a very unlikely scenario where what was supposed to be a Mets road series had to unexpectedly be moved to CitiField in maybe 12 hours notice (which has happened as noted with other teams and other stadiums a handful of times in recent years) or a series not involving the Mets in the same position.  The Yankees likely don't care about that because even if you shut down the (4) or (D), you still have the other line operating PLUS you have Metro-North to 125th and Grand Central nearby.

I would say they'd actually take the Chinese vans, but since those won't be available on Lunar New Year they just might not make the trip at all, which is the reason why businesses in Flushing are crying foul in the first place.

This should end this thread if they still carry out the G.O.

The Chinese vans...or Flushing vans as we call it are fairly popular as well.  This includes vans that go from 8th Avenue, Brooklyn to Chinatown as well.

And I can tell you besides all the chaos in CNY/Lunar New Year, some of us are still crazy enough to drive over to Chinatown.  Especially me since I know my way around the area to find parking easily.

Archived