New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks, how long does it usually take to get the results and sit up the interview from the day you take the test ?

couple days to a week.

Judging by the "732" more then likely youll be out of Howell, if you live closer tords old bridge id go with meadowlands, as howell only give overtime by senority.

Edited by 553 Bridgeton

thanks, howell is an option because i live in toms river but my god mother has drives out of {orange} for the past 20 years, so because of that i know a lot of the drivers there already and tbh i know a lot of the lines (routes) that come out of the garage from riding with her through the years soo im really hoping that i can get that garage. not to mention im obsessed with the nabis and howell doesn't have any.... what are you thoughts on orange vs howell ???

Oof... they are like two different planets! Personally, I'd go with Howell, hands down no contest. Even more so given your location. Toms River to Orange, you're looking at least an hour-hour and a half commute each way. Also, at Orange, you'll be dealing with "Nork" (that's Newark to outsiders ;) and the Oranges and the surrounding areas. But it seems like you're somewhat familiar with it so if that doesn't bother you go for it. Howell is a long distance garage with lots of highway driving and nothing but coaches. Orange is an urban city garage with local routes. They also have a handful of Novas left too!

Good luck with everything too btw! Let us know how everything works out!

Thanks, I will def keep you guys posted !! I'm a big transit geek lol because I literally grow up on a metro d and nova bus !! I'm still in the very beginnings of my journey in becoming a b/o ! I've been reading a lot of the comments in here and I hear it's a pretty long journey until you get out on the road !! I still need to be interviewed, trained and get my cdl !!! How long does the whole process take!! Most of the comments I read were from NYC transit drivers. Is the NJT and NYC process similar ?

Hmm Toms River, Howell would be my choice. Atleast if Howell calls you in youll be a short drive away vs orange. But if you want orange go for it. I was a busfan before i came to transit but after a while it becomes a job and i lost it.

Well training is 18-22days, after the interview you do your medical on a different day. Within the first 7 days of training you go for your cdl rd test on the course they have at howell. You must pass it the first time or thats it.

If i were you id think long and hard between Howell & Orange. Put your busfan side away and make that choice based on not being a bus fan.

If i were you id think long and hard between Howell & Orange. Put your busfan side away and make that choice based on not being a bus fan.

Exactly.  While you may be a fan of the NABI's and know some people out of Orange, think about stuff like this:

-Orange lines travel through some pretty rough areas.  Would you be willing to work late runs in those areas?

-Would you be willing to deal with some unsavory characters? 

-Would you be willing to travel more than an hour each way just to get to work?  Keep in mind that if you make full time and are on the extra board, you will eventually be in the situation where you get EXACTLY 8 hours off - how much sleep will you actually get taking into account travel time, etc?

Consequently, think about this with Howell:

-Would you be willing to drive MCI coaches over the highway for long stretches?  

-Would you be willing to deal with New York, the Lincoln Tunnel and the Port?  Check out some of the other threads to pick up on the mess that place is in the afternoon.

-Would you be willing to deal with snotty, stuck-up passengers?

Lots of food for thought... more like a buffet lol!  Either way, think about what appeals more to you.  You indicated you are already familiar with Orange operations, so if you feel that's a good fit, go for it.  You can always move closer.  

I picked back onto extra board for the fall pick. And when he said EXACTLY 8 hrs hes not kidding. Ive sat on roll call for 3hrs 59mins and the 4th hour got sent on a 10hr job come back and by the time ive turned my money in i have under 8hrs left to be back. It doesnt mean 8hrs of sleep either. Living close to your assigned garage helps. You dont want to be in a situation driving 1hr-1hr 1/2 having exactly 8hrs off. They dont care how far you live.

Thanks guys sooo much for your feedback !! Def gives me a lot to think about !! But as far as the travel to and from work !! If I got into orange I would def move up to hillside with my godmother so the commute to orange garage would only be like 10-15 mins !! So the travel I'm not to concerned with !! Which garage do you think I'll be able to get my 520 hours from the quickest !! I've heard sooo many different things about part timers getting work !! I've read a lot about drivers unfortunately being part time for like a year plus because they wasn't getting work !! But those are stories that I read !! Personally I know of a driver that started this year and I believe he's in the meadowlands garage and he got his 520 in like 6 months ..

Howell youll get your 520 fast just from working the 139 and being stuck in traffic. I went full time in 3months. You want to be at a garage where they going to work you. Some garages will keep you at exactly 30hrs/part time for up to 2years. Find out how many drivers are at orange and you can quickly find out how fast youll get full time. If they have under 200 drivers its gona take a while.

I dont know anything about orange. As was stated you need to put your bus hobby out of your choice cause it can hurt you and youll end up saying you should have picked another garage.

Look at it like this, most drivers work full service then retire on a local line. Here at egg harbor most retire on the 319 or 501/502/504/505. Do you want to work a local for 25yrs, or do you want the option to retire on a sweet full service line or retire on a local after working full service for 20yrs.

You want to have an option thats just my opinion. Now being howell is all full service they still have easy routes that you can retire on. 137 for example is one the parkway express 137.

Locals your gona be working but you deal with no money, but can you deal with the constant stop and go every block vs long haul your always moving, full service your making change.

Do not make your choice based on liking the nabis/novas.

I think Veiola is out of monmouth county area. i saw the Transdev on the side of the 833 routes. Also i am surprised how they reroute the bus from Freehold Center to Monmouth County Courthouse to Freehold raceway mall. I haven't gone to that mall in long time by bus.  Also this afternoon driver got little mix up when going into Brookdale College. He accidentally turn right way to early causing him to zigzag the parking lot. he was going over few bumps on the median(soft and easy). Also he tried to make a 360 degree right hand turn. he couldn't do it and had to back up a few inches. I bet he was sweating like crazy and saying to himself what the hell did i do. 

I think Veiola is out of monmouth county area. i saw the Transdev on the side of the 833 routes. Also i am surprised how they reroute the bus from Freehold Center to Monmouth County Courthouse to Freehold raceway mall. I haven't gone to that mall in long time by bus.  Also this afternoon driver got little mix up when going into Brookdale College. He accidentally turn right way to early causing him to zigzag the parking lot. he was going over few bumps on the median(soft and easy). Also he tried to make a 360 degree right hand turn. he couldn't do it and had to back up a few inches. I bet he was sweating like crazy and saying to himself what the hell did i do. 

Veolia renamed itself to Transdev.