Bus Operator (OA) Exam No. 3101 is out

RTS4Life

New York’s Civil Service System: The One in Three Rule

By Cynthia Devasia, Esq.   

Many State and Local government jobs are part of the competitive class of the Civil Service and can only be filled by candidates who succeed on civil service examinations.  In 1883, New York became the first state to establish a Civil Service system. As mandated by the state constitution, this system was created to make sure that government jobs were given to individuals based on their “merit” and “fitness” for a position, rather than based on who they know. Thus, New York State and its local governments administer open, competitive examinations designed to find the most qualified applicants for competitive class civil service positions.  Competitive examinations are also administered for purposes of promotions as well. Positions in other civil service classifications, such as the non-competitive, exempt and labor class, do not require competitive examinations.

Over the years, there has been some controversy in the administration of the Civil Service system. Legal challenges to appointments or promotions have been brought over improper test administration and grading, and discrimination grounds. One of the biggest issues concerns the Civil Service Law provision known as the “rule of three” or “one in three” rule (“One in Three Rule”).  Civil Service Law Section 61 allows public employers to choose individuals for appointment or promotion from the top three scores from an Eligible List. An Eligible Lists is the list of candidates who have passed civil service examinations, identified in order by their test score and from which State and Local agencies will hire or promote employees. The Civil Service uses a scoring methodology that first calculates a raw score (i.e. the number of questions correctly answered by a candidate), and then creates a band scoring table which groups the raw scores within certain ranges in the same band. As a result, all eligible individuals falling within a particular scoring band will tie for the same rank. In promotional examinations, typically, seniority credits will be applied to the raw score before a band score is applied. Veteran’s credits are also added in open-competitive and promotional exams after the score band is applied.

The rationale of the One in Three Rule is to allow employers to consider factors other than test scores when making appointment and promotions. However,  many argue that the One in Three Rule actually undermines the fairness of the Civil Service system. As a result of score banding, often an employer is given a large number of people, not just the three top individual scorers, to choose from. Some say that the Rule allows for abuse by an employer who is given too much discretion and can pass over the highest scoring candidate in favor of someone who scored lower. In the case of promotional exams, the Rule has been described as encouraging an employer to pick favorites amongst top scorers. Anyone making a civil service challenge to a missed appointment or promotion based on a competitive exam, should also keep the One in Three Rule in mind. Because the public employer is granted the discretion to choose among the top three scores,

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This maybe nothing. But exam 2301 was for Brooklyn and Queens bus depots and exam 3101 was for Bronx and Manhattan if I'm not mistaken. But I notice that when I went to take the exam 2301 my test Proctor was a female lady who had an ID card and it said MabSTOa on it and when I went to take exam 3101 again another test Proctor had her ID card which says she worked for MabOSTA. My point being if these two tests are for two different Depots why was MABOSTA administering both test. Wouldn't each depot administer their own test.

This maybe nothing. But exam 2301 was for Brooklyn and Queens bus depots and exam 3101 was for Bronx and Manhattan if I'm not mistaken. But I notice that when I went to take the exam 2301 my test Proctor was a female lady who had an ID card and it said MabSTOa on it and when I went to take exam 3101 again another test Proctor had her ID card which says she worked for MabOSTA. My point being if these two tests are for two different Depots why was MABOSTA administering both test. Wouldn't each depot administer their own test.

Just different agency but same process through mta headquarters. So if you filled out 3101 application, You will be hired for Mabstoa agency which covers manhattan and bronx division. Exam 2301 was for Mta Bus agency, which you will be hired for that agency. Each application pool is for a certain agency division in mta. Regardless who was there on the day of the exam, it still gets process through mta corperate level.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my CDL permit Today. As I'm looking at the temporary license they gave me i noticed that it say CDL class B with a passenger endorsement and it has restriction on it  ( A3*B*K ) what does it mean and will it affect me if I happen to get a call for B/O position.

When I first got my license, there was a code reference on the back of the paper permit receipt that explained what the restrictions are for. You could also try looking on the DMV website. That should help. L1 stood for not being eligible to drive with airbrakes on a Class A CMV. It may have changed.

@DueceDrives  your right 

B- is for Corrective Lens 

A3- is for Municipal / School operation Only

K- is for CDL Intrastate. But regardless it still has restrictions which they may make an issue out of. 

@Bravo659  I highly doubt that would affect me for wearing glasses. the other 2 is what i'm worried about. 

Enlighten us as to what APPOINTED means, because as far as I can remember I've Had corrective lens restriction on my regular NYD DL for 19yrs now and that was with me even on my learners permit. Then other 2 restriction are irrelevant because the purpose of me getting the license was to drive a bus which I have a class B CDL and P endorsement for passenger .  So why make it a restriction

@Pumacell, i doubt that too but you said your restriction is A3 that's the restriction you cannot have on your license.

I really dont understand why DMV used those codes maybe depends on the test you took and the score of it.

I mean why DMV would place such a restriction on your permit?

The letter states no restriction, hope it will not affect you.

Wish you the best. 

The B restriction is not an issue at all as long as you pass the medical eye exam which tests you with and without your lens I still can't understand why I've heard folks failed the exam without lenses which is crazy because if your required to wear glasses or contacts you won't ever be without them anyhow, I wear corrective lenses and I was appointed with that B restriction on my license and cdl permit.

The other 2 restrictions I have no Knowledge of So I Can't Speak on them.

The B restriction is not an issue at all as long as you pass the medical eye exam which tests you with and without your lens I still can't understand why I've heard folks failed the exam without lenses which is crazy because if your required to wear glasses or contacts you won't ever be without them anyhow, I wear corrective lenses and I was appointed with that B restriction on my license and cdl permit.

The other 2 restrictions I have no Knowledge of So I Can't Speak on them.

Yeah i agree I wear contacts too.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Archived