B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

So its been a month since i took my boss exam. Is it safe to say i passed? Thanks in advance

Well, from reading other threads, some people who took the BOSS for 3600 are also taking the BOSS for 4105...therefore, in my opinion, if you don't hear any negative feedback by the end of the year, you should be safe.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's ocrrect....the first BOSS I took was for 2301, and I got a letter in the mail a couple of weeks later saying that I didn't make it, compared to waiting for the list to come out.

Exam 2301 was for MTA Bus and other applicants who have "failed" BOSS have received similar notifications for OA and Bus Company.

I am not sure if that applies to NYCT, per the e-mail "MTA Broadcast" regarding the 4600 BOSS Exam:

BOSS is a written job questionnaire it is not a test and you will not receive notification regarding the BOSS results. BOSS will not prevent you from receiving your official test results once the list is established.

I worry that if I or anyone failed we will not be notified by the MTA that we specifically "failed" the exam, but will be subject to that pesky (drum roll) "1 in 3 rule" and dropped from the list. With these personality exams, I get a little nervous.

Edited by 161passenger

I worry that if I or anyone failed we will not be notified by the MTA that we specifically "failed" the exam, but will be subject to that pesky (drum roll) "1 in 3 rule" and dropped from the list. With these personality exams, I get a little nervous.

Don't be nervous. In my opinion, here's why:

a) If you do fail, I think the MTA will notify you if you "failed", especially if they have notified OA and Bus Company applicants in the past.

b) From going through the hiring process with B/O exam 2613 (as a friendly reminder, my list # was 27* and I failed the 10-day training session), they are not just going to drop you from the list. Providing you passed the civil service and the BOSS exams, the MTA will give you a chance, or an opportunity, to come down to 180 Livingston Street to take a drug test, and if you pass, to go for medical, etc. I personally think that the "1-in-3" rule is b/s, especially for Bus Operators since a lot of them take promotions to T/O, retire, etc.

Now, without mentioning any names, someone from the 2613 or 2301 thread had a criminal background and because of that, he went to 180 Livingston Street once, gave in all the necessary documents, and never heard back. Therefore, if you stay clean (both criminally and your driving record), you should be fine and NOT 'dropped' from the list.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Don't be nervous. In my opinion, here's why:

a) If you do fail, I think the MTA will notify you if you "failed", especially if they have notified OA and Bus Company applicants in the past.

b) From going through the hiring process with B/O exam 2613 (as a friendly reminder, my list # was 27* and I failed the 10-day training session), they are not just going to drop you from the list. Providing you passed the civil service and the BOSS exams, the MTA will give you a chance, or an opportunity, to come down to 180 Livingston Street to take a drug test, and if you pass, to go for medical, etc. I personally think that the "1-in-3" rule is b/s, especially for Bus Operators since a lot of them take promotions to T/O, retire, etc.

Now, without mentioning any names, someone from the 2613 or 2301 thread had a criminal background and because of that, he went to 180 Livingston Street once, gave in all the necessary documents, and never heard back. Therefore, if you stay clean (both criminally and your driving record), you should be fine and NOT 'dropped' from the list.

how did you fail the 10 day training session?

@youngnycsubwayfan. How did you fail the 10 day training??

Days 1 to 7 I had an instructor out of the Flatbush Depot who I really didn't like. I even wrote 2 letters to Mr. Irick, the VP for the Department of Buses about him. In the first letter I wrote, I mentioned how the Superintendent did not wear his seat belt when driving the bus, because of his weight. Mr Irick said to me that "appropriate action was taken", but I just hope the instructor got into trouble.

Day 9 was not bad except I almost hit a pedestrian when servicing a bus stop. If it wasn't for that crazy person, I would've qualified.

Day 10 was with 2 Superintendents, and one of them was my instructor from Days 1 to 7, which I'm not going to talk about.

What's the 1 in 3 rule??

The 1 in 3 rule states that for every 3 people on the list, 1 will be automatically dropped for an unknown reason. Example: If 9 people are on a list, 3 will automatically get dropped, if 15 people are on a list, 5 will get dropped, etc.

Now from the start this is not true and everyone will have a chance to go to 180 Livingston Street to take the first drug test. However, if people fail the drug test, or do not pass medical, etc., then the list will get smaller accordingly.

So it's an actual set rule regardless of people's results, or it's an average of how many people out of 3 will fail out for some reason on their part (drug, criminal, driving records)?

The answer to this specific question is neither. However, based on the group of people that are called down to 180 Livingston Street, either a small number of people or a large number of people will fail out for some reason (drugs, criminal, driving records, etc.)

NYCTA does not recognize any point reduction courses, you have time to fight it I would do so. Go to court see if you can negotiate higher fine for no points.

@Apprentic3, I hear 5 points or more is a problem. I have 3 points myself.

I have two points, illegal left turn :( .

From the head supervisor at the DMV on Rockaway Blvd, Going to court is to see if you can get the fine reduced, "i don't know where people get less points or no points from, the difference between the court and the paying is the amount in which you pay if you are found or plead guilty, the fines are non-negotiable".

From what I read, 4 points is the minimum they accept :mellow: .

My friend has gotten a ticket for speeding; doing 35mph in a 25 zone (because of the new speed limit in effect). 10mph over the limit. I think I'll invest in a bike until I hopefully get called off the list. :D

Thanks alot for the advice guys, always appreciated. :ph34r:

I have two points, illegal left turn :( .

From the head supervisor at the DMV on Rockaway Blvd, Going to court is to see if you can get the fine reduced, "i don't know where people get less points or no points from, the difference between the court and the paying is the amount in which you pay if you are found or plead guilty, the fines are non-negotiable".

From what I read, 4 points is the minimum they accept :mellow: .

My friend has gotten a ticket for speeding; doing 35mph in a 25 zone (because of the new speed limit in effect). 10mph over the limit. I think I'll invest in a bike until I hopefully get called off the list. :D

Thanks alot for the advice guys, always appreciated. :ph34r:

In my opinion, there is some good news about this...

As of now (11/11/2014), the HR Department @ NYC Transit is still working with the 2613 list. From reading that thread lately, it is safe to say that they are up to the halfway point, since some of the folks in the last class had list numbers in the 1900s and 2100s, and there are 3,617 candidates on the list. Therefore, with the 'temporary' hiring freeze going on, in my opinion the 2613 list will be finished by late 2015, which means that the list for 4600 won't be released any time soon, like within the next 3 months.

Therefore, even with these points and/or infractions, the HR Department only looks at your driving record for the past 3 years. Therefore, depending on the score you got from the initial civil service test back in December of 2013, you might be alright providing you don't get any more tickets or points, depending on how big, or long the list is for B/O exam 4600.

Also, from my experience from going through the hiring process from B/O exam 2613, some people were getting turned away because their license was not clean for 3 consecutive years. Therefore, as an example, if you got into an accident in January of 2012, and you got called to Employment Processing in late November of 2014, HR would simply tell you to come back in two or three months when the accident is past 3 years old. It's not like they're telling you "good-bye" and your chances of working for the MTA are completely gone.

Hope this helps...

In my opinion, there is some good news about this...

As of now (11/11/2014), the HR Department @ NYC Transit is still working with the 2613 list. From reading that thread lately, it is safe to say that they are up to the halfway point, since some of the folks in the last class had list numbers in the 1900s and 2100s, and there are 3,617 candidates on the list. Therefore, with the 'temporary' hiring freeze going on, in my opinion the 2613 list will be finished by late 2015, which means that the list for 4600 won't be released any time soon, like within the next 3 months.

Therefore, even with these points and/or infractions, the HR Department only looks at your driving record for the past 3 years. Therefore, depending on the score you got from the initial civil service test back in December of 2013, you might be alright providing you don't get any more tickets or points, depending on how big, or long the list is for B/O exam 4600.

Also, from my experience from going through the hiring process from B/O exam 2613, some people were getting turned away because their license was not clean for 3 consecutive years. Therefore, as an example, if you got into an accident in January of 2012, and you got called to Employment Processing in late November of 2014, HR would simply tell you to come back in two or three months when the accident is past 3 years old. It's not like they're telling you "good-bye" and your chances of working for the MTA are completely gone.

Hope this helps...

Not sure how I did on the BOSS, but from the December pm test, i had one wrong from the proposed answers. This was my first ticket ever, never had one before so this is my first anything on my license. How do you know what number they're up to when they're calling off of previous lists? is it posted somewhere?

Not sure how I did on the BOSS, but from the December pm test, i had one wrong from the proposed answers. This was my first ticket ever, never had one before so this is my first anything on my license. How do you know what number they're up to when they're calling off of previous lists? is it posted somewhere?

Only one wrong answer means a high score (98.3%) which will mean a smaller list number which means that you will be called sooner before those who got a smaller score, like me who got 4 wrong which is a 93.33% score. Worse comes to worse if you are unsuccessful in fighting the ticket, you can always pass on the offer and once the 3 years is over (providing you stay clean and nothing happens), then you can get your list # re-instated.

As far as what number they are up to, there are several ways you can find out. (WARNING: Each way is not 100% accurate, however if you check all 3, you can take a good educated guess as far as where they are up to.)

The first way is by checking this topic on this website! If you go through the 400+ plus pages of the B/O 2613 thread (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/) several of the members, like myself, have posted our list numbers to get an idea. Mine was 27* (which means that my list # was from 270 to 279, since there may be TA personnel from HR on this site, since anyone can view this as a 'guest'). As time progressed, I posted my status about the drug tests, medical, training, etc. Other folks have also done the same, which will be done in this topic once they start calling us down for drug tests.

The second way is to call DCAS at 212-669-1357. Just need to make the appropriate selection when calling and have your social security # and exam number handy. NOTE: They only update this once a month, usually the first weekend. So this will give you an idea, but won't be 100% accurate.

The third way is to call the HR Department. If you do, they will only give you one number of what they are up to. They do not tell you if that person with that list # has just taken their first drug test, just got called for medical, etc.

Any other questions? Don't hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what list they're at or anything of that nature but from what I was told by someone, the earliest you can expect this list to be established is Late Spring Early Fall 2016, possibly starting work in 2017. By guess, how accurate would you say that estimation is that I was told? Seems kinda exhaustive, to take an exam n wait for the job 4 years later. Is this for all civil service exams or just the MTA?

I'm not sure what list they're at or anything of that nature but from what I was told by someone, the earliest you can expect this list to be established is Late Spring Early Fall 2016, possibly starting work in 2017. By guess, how accurate would you say that estimation is that I was told? Seems kinda exhaustive, to take an exam n wait for the job 4 years later. Is this for all civil service exams or just the MTA?

They are about 2/3 of the way of all candidates having some interaction (drug test/medical/training) with the post-exam hiring process. Candidates have been called since Fall of 2013 and please read the update from YoungNYCSubwayFan (who among many others has helped us tremendously in this process shared the following post:

First, let me clarify that this information is coming from DCAS (Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services), not the HR Dept. of NYC Transit. Second, "there has been 2590 certified" means that out of the last group of candidates sent for the latest class, the highest list number was 2590. Similarly, "the list number of the last candidate appointed" means that out of the latest group of people called for either the first or second drug test, the highest list number was 1896.

Please keep in mind that this is coming from a secondary source, so this should give all of us an 'idea' as far as how fast or slow the list is moving. This is normally updated during the evening of the first Sunday of every month.

There are 3617 eligible candidates. In my opinion and if we are optimistic at the earliest we can see a list be published at about late spring or early summer 2015. Keep in mind that there are folks who have removed themselves from the list and put themselves back on, OTOH, there are people who chose not to take the position, have driver's license problems, problems at their current job, folks with unresolved legal matters etc.,. Additionally, we have to wait and see how many current B/O's apply for retirement (January is a month where many do), which us prospective new hires will replace.

Please follow the Exam 2613 thread for insight:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/?p=808233

See Official MTA HR website for 4600 candidates:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/4600.htm

Edited by 161passenger

They are about 2/3 of the way of all candidates having some interaction (drug test/medical/training) with the post-exam hiring process. Candidates have been called since Fall of 2013 and please read the update from YoungNYCSubwayFan (who among many others has helped us tremendously in this process shared the following post:

First of all, I appreciate your comment about me in the previous post. Just to add my two cents, my gut feeling is that this list will be released either late summer or during the fall of 2015. Like 161passenger said, even if a lot of B/O's retire (keep in mind the economic situation), from reading the 2613 thread, some Bus Depots are over-filled with operators, and with the upcoming general pick, things should even out as time evolves.

In addition, if the B/O 4600 list has a lot of candidates who passed both the civil service and the BOSS exams, they do not want to waste any time releasing the list early, since the list is only valid for 4 calendar years, unless there is an announcement in which it is extended. My gut feeling is that this is the case, since the B/O 4600 exam was a little easier compared to the B/O 2613 exam. The 4600 exam had 60 questions - the 2613 exam had 80 questions, with the same amount of time to answer all of the questions.