B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Day 9 u will have a big steep hill I believe on Lexington Ave. if you are stopped at the light there make sure u engage the parking brake and hit the gas before disengaging the parking brake. If u roll even a tiny bit down the hill the superintendent might fail you. I think it's called pop and go or something.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 9 u will have a big steep hill I believe on Lexington Ave. if you are stopped at the light there make sure u engage the parking brake and hit the gas before disengaging the parking brake. If u roll even a tiny bit down the hill the superintendent might fail you. I think it's called pop and go or something.

we did that on day 5 so will day 9 be a repeat of day 5

my entire bus is going to day 9

How do you get mentally prepared for day 9 and any tips.thanks

First, for Days 8 & 9, you'll going to have a different instructor. He/she will quickly look at your sheets from the first seven days to determine what your weaknesses are. Those weaknesses will be addressed on Day 8 to help you prepare for Day 9.

Example - one of my weaknesses was reference points, which was addressed on Day 8 in order to help me prepare for Day 9. I also failed the pre-trip inspections on Day 4 & 7, and also failed to get out of my bus before backing up, however those weaknesses were not addressed since Day 9 did not consist of that, respectfully.

Other than that, I would familiarize yourself with your yellow sheet from Day 5, since it's going to be a repeat. In addition, my tips are:

-Don't forget what to do on the hill with the parking brake and the gas pedal

-Cover your right at all times. Use forward planning - if you see a vehicle which is about to move on your right (which happened to one of my classmates back in 2014 with a tractor trailer), STOP and wait.

-Use forward planning. Use the pedestrian countdown clocks. You're only going on 5th Avenue for one block, so don't worry too much about those countdown clocks fooling you.

-Take your time. In the end, you'll be thanking yourself for taking the extra half-hour to successfully go thru the obstacle course compared to getting a U.

-If you see something unsafe, initially STOP & wait. If the problem persists, the instructor will tell you what to do.

-Worry about yourself and not about anyone else. If over 100 vehicles pass you on your left, so what? If over 100 vehicles take a yellow light and you don't, so what? The goal is to qualify, not to blend in with the other 'idiot' motorists, taxi cabs, etc.

-Don't go too slow nor too fast (again, happened back in 2014 to one of my co-workers). I would do in between 20 & 25 MPH. Again, no highway.

-When turning, cover your brake.

-If you have any questions, even at the last minute, ask the instructor. No question is ever a dumb question.

Also, learn from your classmates - if you're not the first one to go, instead of sitting around looking out the side windows, stand as close to the front and watch you're classmates tackle the obstacle course. Obviously, if you see the instructor writing something down, it's not good (duh)...

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+
Revision...

First, for Days 8 & 9, you'll going to have a different instructor. He/she will quickly look at your sheets from the first seven days to determine what your weaknesses are. Those weaknesses will be addressed on Day 8 to help you prepare for Day 9.

Example - one of my weaknesses was reference points, which was addressed on Day 8 in order to help me prepare for Day 9. I also failed the pre-trip inspections on Day 4 & 7, and also failed to get out of my bus before backing up, however those weaknesses were not addressed since Day 9 did not consist of that, respectfully.

Other than that, I would familiarize yourself with your yellow sheet from Day 5, since it's going to be a repeat. In addition, my tips are:

-Don't forget what to do on the hill with the parking brake and the gas pedal

-Cover your right at all times. Use forward planning - if you see a vehicle which is about to move on your right (which happened to one of my classmates back in 2014 with a tractor trailer), STOP and wait.

-Use forward planning. Use the pedestrian countdown clocks. You're only going on 5th Avenue for one block, so don't worry too much about those countdown clocks fooling you.

-Take your time. In the end, you'll be thanking yourself for taking the extra half-hour to successfully go thru the obstacle course compared to getting a U.

-If you see something unsafe, initially STOP & wait. If the problem persists, the instructor will tell you what to do.

-Worry about yourself and not about anyone else. If over 100 vehicles pass you on your left, so what? If over 100 vehicles take a yellow light and you don't, so what? The goal is to qualify, not to blend in with the other 'idiot' motorists, taxi cabs, etc.

-Don't go too slow nor too fast (again, happened back in 2014 to one of my co-workers). I would do in between 20 & 25 MPH. Again, no highway.

-When turning, cover your brake.

-If you have any questions, even at the last minute, ask the instructor. No question is ever a dumb question.

Also, learn from your classmates - if you're not the first one to go, instead of sitting around looking out the side windows, stand as close to the front and watch you're classmates tackle the obstacle course. Obviously, if you see the instructor writing something down, it's not good (duh)...

Good luck!!

Thanks for all the helpful information

Definitely all of what Young said. Also when you call out the hazards, call out what you anticipate them to do. (Stop short, change lanes in front of you) What helped me on Day 9 was laying back at some intersections where I thought I was unable to complete my turn due to traffic overflowing back into the intersection. Sometimes you get lucky after a light cycle or two and it clears up or they move out your way.

Just drive slow and call out all of those bikes. There's no tricks. Were you the one hitting the curb? If so, when you set up, just slowly walk the bus around the turn. What I do is spot the curb in the convex and as it gets closer (about 20-30 degrees from the start of the turn), start checking the flat mirror for the curb. If it looks like it's going to hit, stop and start moving in the opposite direction a little bit and then bring it back to the right and complete the turn.

How do you get mentally prepared for day 9 and any tips.thanks

only advice i can give you is to review the paper the instructor gives you at the end of each day 

and correct those mistakes,and just take your time don't rush you will be ok don't get discourage because you have to go to day 9 a lot of people pass on day because maybe the instructor you had for the first 7 days you might not understand her type of teacher

when you go day8 and day 9 you get a different instructor that you might understand there way of teaching

How is superintendent Jernigan if anyone know who that iss

she is a very good instructor just listen and do what she say and you will be fine it took me 4 days to fully understand everything she was telling me too

scan your mirrors,keep your 4foot distance from the curb ,forward planning,always remember to cover your right know when too take up road when its necessary 

Edited by mastap123

Take a deep breath n relax. Give yourself that 4ft space it helps with every turn. Just calm down set your top mirror to the back tires and your small mirror as you set it on a car looking over the side of the bus. 4ft of space is honestly the best advice because u won't hit a curb if u turn the way they showed you. Watch out for lights and pedestrians n you should be fine

only advice i can give you is to review the paper the instructor gives you at the end of each day 

and correct those mistakes,and just take your time don't rush you will be ok don't get discourage because you have to go to day 9 a lot of people pass on day because maybe the instructor you had for the first 7 days you might not understand her type of teacher

when you go day8 and day 9 you get a different instructor that you might understand there way of teaching

she is a very good instructor just listen and do what she say and you will be fine it took me 4 days to fully understand everything she was telling me too

scan your mirrors,keep your 4foot distance from the curb,forward planning know when too take up road when its necessary 

Hi guys, does DMV CDL road test similar to MTA B/O training? Thanks.

No. MTA B/O Training is more strict since they want you to drive the buses their way or it's the highway.

The DMV CDL road test is also strict, but I wouldn't say as much strict, since you're allowed to get up to 50 points on the road test before you fail. With MTA, it's either an "S" or a "U".

No. MTA B/O Training is more strict since they want you to drive the buses their way or it's the highway.

The DMV CDL road test is also strict, but I wouldn't say as much strict, since you're allowed to get up to 50 points on the road test before you fail. With MTA, it's either an "S" or a "U".

Thanks young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely all of what Young said. Also when you call out the hazards, call out what you anticipate them to do. (Stop short, change lanes in front of you) What helped me on Day 9 was laying back at some intersections where I thought I was unable to complete my turn due to traffic overflowing back into the intersection. Sometimes you get lucky after a light cycle or two and it clears up or they move out your way.

Just drive slow and call out all of those bikes. There's no tricks. Were you the one hitting the curb? If so, when you set up, just slowly walk the bus around the turn. What I do is spot the curb in the convex and as it gets closer (about 20-30 degrees from the start of the turn), start checking the flat mirror for the curb. If it looks like it's going to hit, stop and start moving in the opposite direction a little bit and then bring it back to the right and complete the turn.

what are the major turns on the route for day 9

"L" turns with a few hook-turns mixed in. Nothing fancy, no going around any "circles" or anything to that nature. Very simple and straight-forward.

Good luck!!

thanks i know tomorrow i have to call out evrything and say scaning mirrors and say forward planning scaning ahead this superintendent is big on that

what are the major turns on the route for day 9

I can't remember the turns from memory. You're pretty much going from 125th Street & 2nd Avenue to anywhere between 86-96th Streets N/S, and 1st Ave and 5th Ave E/W. From 2nd Avenue, you're going to head south on Lexington Avenue on the M101, west on 96th Street on the M96 and turnaround at 5th Avenue. From 5th Ave, I think you head back to Lexington, down to 86th, back to 1st, and eventually back to 125.

Of course, the route is ultimately up to the Superintendent. I went last on Day 9 from the 2nd Avenue end and had to do both parts of the route. Around 1st Ave and somewhere in the 90s-100s I was told to pull over and secure the bus so we can get our lunch break. (I wound up qualifying)

From 2nd Avenue, you're going to head south on Lexington Avenue on the M101, west on 96th Street on the M96 and turnaround at 5th Avenue. From 5th Ave, I think you head back to Lexington, down to 86th, back to 1st, and eventually back to 125.

That's the route!! The only difference from February of 2014 (when I tried to qualify and failed) was that we started and ended at the 126th Street Bus Depot, which has since closed.

Just to clarify the "turnaround at 5th Avenue":

-South on Lexington Avenue

-Right on 96th Street (service bus stop)

-Right on Madison

-Left on 97th Street

-Left on 5th Avenue

-Left on 96th Street

-Right on Lexington Avenue

-Left on 86th Street

-(see the quote above)

That's the route!! The only difference from February of 2014 (when I tried to qualify and failed) was that we started and ended at the 126th Street Bus Depot, which has since closed.

Just to clarify the "turnaround at 5th Avenue":

-South on Lexington Avenue

-Right on 96th Street (service bus stop)

-Right on Madison

-Left on 97th Street

-Left on 5th Avenue

-Left on 96th Street

-Right on Lexington Avenue

-Left on 86th Street

-(see the quote above)

good explanation, so all this turns are tight turns or hook turns? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget that you have to be able to identify what turn you need to make so you can set the bus up so you can execute the turn. If you setup up for an "L" turn and it's an acute turn it won't end well, same if you have a hook turn but you try to pivot turn you will not be successful. Knowing the route is one thing, being able to understand what you need to do is another. Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

good explanation, so all this turns are tight turns or hook turns? Thanks.

From what I recall from 2014, one or two of them might be tight turns or hook turns, however 95% of them were regular "L" turns. However, one of the things you need to do is to forward plan and determine if it is a regular "L" turn or a "hook" turn depending on the scenario at that particular time...

Edited by +Young+