B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know the process for the boss exam? Do you have to call them about it or do you have to wait on them to send you a notice? And how long the wait for the boss exam? Thank you in advance

You have to wait till they send you a notice. Based on exam 2613, They took it last year in June. So lets see.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, got my CDL class B Permit too. Wanted to get a jump on things. It expires near the end of Sept. 2014. So, I can renew it once only and then I would need to take all the tests again, correct? That's too bad. Not sure if I'll be called (to start the actual training) by Sept. 2015. Guess I should have waited a little longer to do it.

Guys I just got my cdl permit too. But no need to wait for mta, get the license on your own. Thats what im doing plus more practice the more comfortable you will be when mta calls you. Remember with the Permit if you qualify on day 7 with MTA, If you still have a permit they will send you to dmv to take the dnv road test. And if you fail the dmv road test on mta watch, you will be let go.Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I know that for sure because both my family members is a bus operator for mta for 13 years now.Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

@busman718, I got 2 wrong. How about you?

@DueceDrives, I was thinking of getting the license ahead of time too. The thing is, I also keep hearing how the instructors prefer you come in with only the permit (no license) because they want to mold you right. I just don't wanna put anyone off and start off training on the wrong foot.

Also, like busman718 said, not sure how to go for training to get license. Like he said, only school buses available, though I guess the bottom line is getting your license in the first place.

Back to what I said though, I keep hearing that instructors want you coming in real new/fresh.

@busman718, I got 2 wrong. How about you? @DueceDrives, I was thinking of getting the license ahead of time too. The thing is, I also keep hearing how the instructors prefer you come in with only the permit (no license) because they want to mold you right. I just don't wanna put anyone off and start off training on the wrong foot. Also, like busman718 said, not sure how to go for training to get license. Like he said, only school buses available, though I guess the bottom line is getting your license in the first place. Back to what I said though, I keep hearing that instructors want you coming in real new/fresh.
Yeah fresh means no work experience with bus or truck company. Remember they are expecting for you to know how to handle a bus. All they doing now is just training you to drive the mta way. DMV has their way on the road vs MTA way. Do you remember when first got behind the wheels when you didnt know how to drive a car yet? So imagine a bus now if you havent actually driven one. My dad said if you have your license already and you qualify on day 7 or 10, You are all set and have no worries. But if you qualify day 7 - 10 and you have tge cdl permit still, Now you have to worry about thst DMV instructor. And if any reason that dmv instructor screw you over because something he/she didnt like during the test, its over and mta will not wait for a retake.Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Van someone plrase answer this question if you can. Would u be dq if you havr suspension on your abtract, nothing major but for failure to pay fer n turning in plates late caise insirance cxl?Sorry about spelling typing from phone
Not sure but i doubt that will dq you. I think they focus also on points on your license. but call hr and find out, dont give your name though..lolSent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2 Edited by DueceDrives

Any schools on Staten Island that have a bus to practice on all I see here is people practicing on school buses

Thats the original. Learn that first school bus and the mta bys driving skills is different especially on left and right turns. MTA will teach you how to turn with their bus. The school bus is standard learning tool especially for dmv. If you wait for mta instead than mta will let you drive that bus to the road test. But you just have to worry about that DMV instructor examiner

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the info DueceDrives. For some reason, I thought it was your bus trainer who administers the test at the DMV (thought MTA & DMV had a sort of deal). Anyway, that's what I thought I read on this forum once. If that's wrong, then I absolutely think it would be best to get the license ahead of time. The way I thought it was, I figured the trainer already knows you and knows you can drive a bus, so they won't fail you unless you really messed up at the DMV road test.

Now the big question is, how to find out who does school bus training.

@busman718, good stuff. We should be top of the list, especially you. Yeah, I'll check out some stuff online. Will let ya know what I find out and take it from there. If it works out, we can all go like you said.

So you guys are suggesting getting the CDL license before hand? I dont even know where to start....I know NYS DMV has a CDL section on there website, but how would someone learn to drive a bus with an instructor to help....is there a bonified school for stuff like this? Im assuming so.

Yeah fresh means no work experience with bus or truck company. Remember they are expecting for you to know how to handle a bus. All they doing now is just training you to drive the mta way. DMV has their way on the road vs MTA way. Do you remember when first got behind the wheels when you didnt know how to drive a car yet? So imagine a bus now if you havent actually driven one. My dad said if you have your license already and you qualify on day 7 or 10, You are all set and have no worries. But if you qualify day 7 - 10 and you have tge cdl permit still, Now you have to worry about thst DMV instructor. And if any reason that dmv instructor screw you over because something he/she didnt like during the test, its over and mta will not wait for a retake.Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2Not sure but i doubt that will dq you. I think they focus also on points on your license. but call hr and find out, dont give your name though..lolSent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you Dueces, I will call n find out

Good information. I have my CDL B permit with school air brakes passenger since August. I'm also looking to get my license before going to MTA. Looking at schools the cheapet I've found is 600 for a few lessons and the actual road test rental.

I work for a shipping company and got accustomed to driving package trucks. Is driving one of those is similar to driving a bus?

Also how long does an actual commercial license last? Is it the same as a drivers?

Good information. I have my CDL B permit with school air brakes passenger since August. I'm also looking to get my license before going to MTA. Looking at schools the cheapet I've found is 600 for a few lessons and the actual road test rental. I work for a shipping company and got accustomed to driving package trucks. Is driving one of those is similar to driving a bus?Also how long does an actual commercial license last? Is it the same as a drivers?
I've found a few driving school my self for the same packaging offers. Trucks and bus might have different turn points. The good thing is you have some sort of experience driving a big vehicle.Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
So you guys are suggesting getting the CDL license before hand? I dont even know where to start....I know NYS DMV has a CDL section on there website, but how would someone learn to drive a bus with an instructor to help....is there a bonified school for stuff like this? Im assuming so.
Yeah theres plenty auto school that offers commercial driving lessons. Just google/Bing in your local area. Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Driving a bus. A transit vehicle is different than a school bus in the turning radius wheel base for school bus is ahead of you like in a car. However in a transit bus like those @Mta and charter buses exp (greyhound, academy exc.) the wheel base is behind the driver thus having more of a tail swing, and turning radios. Also the pivot point which is usually for most buses in- between the rear duals of the bus is the major difference between school buses, and trasit vehicles. My opinion for those that are thinking of getting there cdl before TA look into charter company's

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

i think its a good idea to get your cdl permit and try to get your license after that so at least you will have some of experience of driving the bus.but one thing i heard is if you make it to the training don't act like you know more than the instructor because they won't you to learn to drive the bus there way.

i think its a good idea to get your cdl permit and try to get your license after that so at least you will have some of experience of driving the bus.but one thing i heard is if you make it to the training don't act like you know more than the instructor because they won't you to learn to drive the bus there way.
Thats facts! Even if you know how to drive a bus, you play dumb and act like you dont know and just follow his/her instruction.Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Good Morning Everyone!Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2