B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@mhgq04. It was within 1 year in which 3101 was taken and 4600 and 4105 was scheduled. My results from 3101 rolled over to both 4600 and 4105. For further questions or confirmation call exam unit and ask for ms debrorah or mr Abraham they are managers. They will ask you for your SSN and they will check your records. They did so for me

Let me know how it goes

This is a lil off topic question but I recently Changed my cell # and I want to update it with transit, who do I contact in order to let them know? 

I would send them a descriptive e-mail and request confirmation once received.

Additionally, I would suggest including your applicant ID number which will be on all of your paperwork, it apparently stays the same for every exam you take at the MTA (so everything is updated) . 

E-mail: examsunit@nyct.com

Subject: TA Exam 4600 Jane Smith (App ID: 1999999) - Contact Information Update Request 

From my experience it takes them about 48 hours to reply.

Edited by 161passenger

This is a lil off topic question but I recently Changed my cell # and I want to update it with transit, who do I contact in order to let them know? 

In addition to the advice in the last post, I would also print out a copy of the e-mail and/or write a letter with what 161passenger stated and mail it to the address under the Correspondence Section (http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/4600.pdf).

That should definitely do the trick.

anyone know where we're at with the BOSS 4600 exam? found out I only had one question wrong from the first exam and went through the second exam, but no word... should I be preparing anything in the meantime?

I am in the same boat. I took the exam and got one wrong and took the BOSS evaluation back in October 2014.

At a minimum we'll probably have to wait two weeks for processing of the remainder of the BOSS exams to run them through scantron readers, account for people who didn't bubble in things like their names, SSN's or applicant ID's as well as the folks to put things into folders or scan things.

My suggestion, get the CDL permit ASAP and if possible your CDL-B/P license with air brakes.

Get all paperwork needed for the background check.

Keep an eye on the [Thread: Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions] for what is going on in the current TA list, Exam (2)  (6)  (1)  (3) . I will post to see if anyone has an update.

Please see my recent post here on my analysis of everything so far with both 2613 and 4600.

In short, we'll have to continue waiting  <_< .

Edited by 161passenger

I am in the same boat. I took the exam and got one wrong and took the BOSS evaluation back in October 2014.

At a minimum we'll probably have to wait two weeks for processing of the remainder of the BOSS exams to run them through scantron readers, account for people who didn't bubble in things like their names, SSN's or applicant ID's as well as the folks to put things into folders or scan things.

My suggestion, get the CDL permit ASAP and if possible your CDL-B/P license with air brakes.

Get all paperwork needed for the background check.

Keep an eye on the [Thread: Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions] for what is going on in the current TA list, Exam (2)  (6)  (1)  (3) . I will post to see if anyone has an update.

Please see my recent post here on my analysis of everything so far with both 2613 and 4600.

In short, we'll have to continue waiting  <_< .

I had to go to the website to verify my answers to calculate my score... I thought I read somewhere that we should have received something in the mail notifying us of our results? Before proceeding with the CDL permit and CDL-B/P license w/air brakes, is there a way to find out how we did on the second exam? lastly, why do you suggest taking the CDL permit now? does it take that long to obtain?

I had to go to the website to verify my answers to calculate my score... I thought I read somewhere that we should have received something in the mail notifying us of our results? Before proceeding with the CDL permit and CDL-B/P license w/air brakes, is there a way to find out how we did on the second exam? lastly, why do you suggest taking the CDL permit now? does it take that long to obtain?

We will not receive any notification for BOSS. Only if you take BOSS for OA (MaBSTOA) or BC (Bus Company) will you receive a result. TA candidates do not. We will receive our written examination results whenever the list is ready; so far nobody here has any indication of when this will occur, nor has the MTA provided information of when this will happen.  <_<

I would get the permit as soon as possible at your leisure, as it is better to get it out the way while time is on your side. From what I am reading here on the experiences of people under various exam titles, it is better to work according to the way the  (MTA) wants to do things then having to work around them.

Edited by 161passenger

I would get the permit as soon as possible at your leisure, as it is better to get it out the way while time is on your side. From what I am reading here on the experiences of people under various exam titles, it is better to work according to the way the  (MTA) wants to do things then having to work around them.

IMHO, I would personally make this decision based on how you did on the initial civil service examination. Although our list numbers are not out yet, if you recorded your answers on the "Candidate's Personal Record of Answers", and you compared your answers with the one on the MTA website, you should have an idea of how you did. If you did really well (like a 90% raw score or higher), then I would suggest getting your permit ASAP. If you did not do that well (like a raw score in the 70's or 80's), then you still have time to get your permit.

Keep in mind that you are only allowed to renew your permit once. If you need to renew it a second time, you have to take the tests all over again.

This is just my educated guess. Once the list comes out, then we'll have a better general idea of where everyone stands and what the situation is.

Questions? If so, please do not hesitate to ask.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

IMHO, I would personally make this decision based on how you did on the initial civil service examination. Although our list numbers are not out yet, if you recorded your answers on the "Candidate's Personal Record of Answers", and you compared your answers with the one on the MTA website, you should have an idea of how you did. If you did really well (like a 90% raw score or higher), then I would suggest getting your permit ASAP. If you did not do that well (like a raw score in the 70's or 80's), then you still have time to get your permit.

Keep in mind that you are only allowed to renew your permit once. If you need to renew it a second time, you have to take the tests all over again.

This is just my educated guess. Once the list comes out, then we'll have a better general idea of where everyone stands and what the situation is.

Questions? If so, please do not hesitate to ask.

Agreed. For those including myself who got 0-2 wrong, per a comparison of the "Candidate's Personal Record of Answers" with the recorded answers, time appears to be still on our side. Per post 4963 in the [Thread: Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions] the next TA class for those on 2613 may be in June and so far appears to be for folks who have reinstated themselves. I am going to refrain from making any future predictions as my success here has been equivalent to that of picking the big money lotto numbers. :P

For those falling in the 0-2x wrong category, I agree on getting your CDL permit and if you can swing it, get CDL driver's license or at a minimum, a handful of lessons.

Having been taking some lessons and recently failing (badly) a CDL road test, I still remain thankful that I am doing this now and not when it absolutely counts. My mistakes were relatively minor but as a whole cost me dearly [Link: NYS DMV CDL Manual (Sections 11, 12, 13)] (on page 13-6)  for a sample score sheet. My mistakes included (left turn into the right lane instead of the left, not stopping at the 'invisible' stop line, two wide turns and a few hard brakes (due to a traffic light)), but nothing major. Now that I know what to expect, I am confident that those can be corrected and I am confident on passing the second time. I absolutely cannot imagine doing this with the enormous pressure we will face at when we go to Zerega, line training etc.,

Edited by 161passenger

^ You're right 161passenger. Having the pressure of passing a road test while in line training, etc. is a lot. That's also why I got my CDL license first. Anything to lessen the pressure in general. There is no guarentee you will pass on day 7 or 9 either. No matter how well you pick up on things, as I've said in a previous post, who you have as a superintendent during the 10 day training will be the #1 factor as to when or if you pass. Same can be said for the road test. There's a guy well known as "The Terminator" down at DMV. Apparantly he failed half the people from my original orientation class who took it with him. If you're a Day 10, you're done. Getting CDL license first was one of the best things I've done. The whole "they go harder on you when you have your CDL license" thing is BS. It's what you do and mostly WHO you have.

Edited by hockeyplayer9

He had a thread here for a while [Link:Ya'll wasn't lying] . I guess we still not lying! :D

My examiner was professional: tough but fair. It was pretty much nervousness which caused me to slip up (made the turn too fast, so I was wide, stopping (full) but - forgetting to stop at the invisible line, being too slow to clear an intersection; not timing the stale green lights correctly - hard stop at yellow). Hopefully the second time will be the one.

Edited by 161passenger

Sorry teegrid but not everybody who pass will be called. As a matter of fact more than half the people who pass wont get called considering how easy the test was.

yeah. It just makes no sense. Theres NO way MTA will hire or even call EVERYONE who passed. The way it works is list number order, the best scorers will be placed highest of the list, thus called first. Usually with these city exams the city only calls up to list numbers 5000s...if someone who passed with a 70 but his or her list number is 20,000 they will NOT be called or hired.

Edited by MTAhopeful1

Time out everyone.

We still don't know how many people are on this list. I don't think there are 20,000 candidates based on my educated guess.

Four wrong is not an 80, MTAhopeful1 may have preliminarily scored a 93.33%. Please refer to previous posts for how to score this.

Unlike Sanitation, Police or FDNY there are no residency credit points. Veterans and other folks who may claim additional points may make statistically insignificant amount difference compared to everyone else.

This job is not for everyone. People who have scored well may decline the job for whatever reason. I scored very well on the Bridge & Tunnel Officer exam, however, I prefer the Bus Operator position. If I am successful in passing everything and completing probation, I will remove my name from that list. Successfully completing the qualification period and passing the CDL road tests are major hurdles, as seen with members who share here, my personal experience (I just failed a road test - taken on my own) and above with those who tested with the "Terminators" who examine drivers in the Bronx and Maspeth. 

So lets keep a positive attitude and lets focus on things one at a time. Remember, at this time for us 4600 candidates, time is on our side.

Edited by 161passenger

Keep in mind that, NOT everyone will pass the BOSS exam regardless if they passed the easy written exam back in December 2014. The whole purpose administrating the BOSS is to eliminate people by cutting down the list even more. Even if you scored a 70% on the exam, You still have a  chance to be called and hired. Keep in mind like many has stated on the Forum (Young , 161passenger, Hockey and ETC) Not every candidate will make it through HR level or the final part the 7 - 10 day on the road qualification.

The list will be good for 4 years and can be extended for more by MTA choice. The more drivers that gets either fired, retired, or promoted will open up more space for new hires.

The 7 - 10 days qualification is stressful enough. Like many others has stated on the forum, I would suggestion getting your CDL on your own and out of the way. It doesn't hurt to have the license and the reason being is, If MTA is not the direction you end up going, There's plenty of opportunities out there that are always hiring Commercial License Drivers with the proper qualifications. Not everyone will be cut for the job due to either experience, or unable to learn the transit driving style within the 10 day period. I've just started  training new hires at the carrier I work for "Access A Ride", and I'll tell you, that even a 25 ft vehicle, people still can't manage to drive it the proper transit way. So imagine a 40ft bus. While you're waiting, work on the permit or best option the full license and take some driving lessons and learn to use the mirrors!

What if you scored a 100? How do they determine your place on the list if a lot of people scored a 100? Is it based in alphabetical order ir the time you took the test?

To be honest, I don't think anyone here has the 100% facts how the list process work if everyone scores the same number. Only someone who works in the Transit HR department probably knows how the process work. Educated guess would probably be based on last 4 digit social. But that just an educated guess.

What if you scored a 100? How do they determine your place on the list if a lot of people scored a 100? Is it based in alphabetical order ir the time you took the test?

From what I was told, it is based on when you actually applied for the exam online, which makes sense in a way. The filing period for this exam was approximately one montn (http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/archives/pdf/4600.pdf). Therefore, if ten people got a score of 100% and they applied on August 9th, 10th, 11th, etc., then they will be in that order.

If that's the case, then it makes sense since the MTA can look online to see when everyone applied, even down to the minutes or seconds that this took place.

Here is the informaton directly from the source. According to this inter-agency memorandum of understanding  [Link: Memorandum of Understanding Between the City of New York .... and The NYCTA] or [Link: DCAS Interagency MOUs] , this document also details the rights and responsibilities of MTA HR and DCAS:

4.4.11. Candidates With Same Final Examination Rating.

Whenever two or more candidates in an examination receive the same final examination ratings, their respective place on the resulting eligible list shall be determined for administrative reasons only by a sequence of the number derived from the last five and then the first four positions of their social security numbers.

For example, all three of these fictional candidates scored 100:
1. Roberto C H Chang's SSN is 999-90-1234,  the new SSN for list purposes is 012-34-9999
2. Muhammad bin Tariq al-Qahtani's  SSN is 999-92-5720 for list purposes is  257-20-9999
3. Galina Vladimirovna Antonova's SSN is 999-94-8164 for list purposes is      481-64-9999

Per those new numbers, they should be called in that order. If not, then I guess they revised their procedure.

Edited by 161passenger