B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone.  I took this exam and the BOSS exam on 10/4/15 as well.  Today I received a call from the MTA and it said that the list is still being processed.  The list will be completed in 9 months at which time we will receive our scores or results.  First time posting but wanted to give you guys/gals a heads up.  Have a great weekend everyone.

I also got this call, I'm taking my CDL A road test in queens, took it once n failed. Taught me alot this driving experience, yes I would have to take over one for the CDL B as well but jus the road test at that level is so different to the regular Class D, I failed because I passed a stop sign hidden behind some tree branches on the entrance of a ramp to a highway, I honestly have never seen a stop sign on an entrance till then, not yield but stop gettin onto the lane, not at the end of the lane before u get on the highway, but before u even get on the lane. Long story short, if you can afford it, even if its two classes, take some CDL classes before MTA calls, might look easy to some but definitely harder than it seems. "Hazard on the left" smh lol. I already got two points for a turn, no speeding, DUI, keep your license clean. I'm looking into making a career if possible so doing my best to stay on the straight and narrow where my license is concerned. Those who smoke the herbs, now would be a good time to start quitting.

I would also like to know if that means we passed the boss exam as well

My random opinion, it (the message) doesn't mean that you passed the BOSS but from previous posts, if you havent gotten another letter regarding the BOSS then you passed. If I understand correctly, you get a letter after taking the BOSS only when you failed, based on my understanding, not sure if i'm entirely correct but that's what i understand the situation to be.

I think that message was simply like "Okay guys, its all wrapped up, just putting on the finishing touches, look out for the list to see if your name is on it in about 9months, if not, better luck next time."

IMO, I believe only those who actually passed the BOSS probably received that memo. But again it might be program to send it to everyone and wait to receive a letter. I'm hoping it will be sooner instead of waiting 9 months for an actual list. Meanwhile, If you dont have that license situated, Now its the time to start getting your CDL Permit with all the requirement endorsement, or work on getting the Full CDL on your own. Once that list is finally establish, They will start calling candidates when they're ready to close out 2613.

...Now its the time to start getting your CDL Permit with all the requirement endorsement, or work on getting the Full CDL on your own....

Keep in mind that you can only renew the permit once. If you need to renew the permit a second time, you need to take the tests all over again.

If there are any Access-A-Ride Operators here from Staten Island or Brooklyn (MV Transportation), Could you please shoot me a private message? I have a few questions - Thanks! 

I don't work for MV but a Driver Trainer for Premier. I will PM since the questions are answerable for all carriers out there.

I also recieved a phone call and a email about the 9 month wait. Personally, I think its ridiculous, 9 months? Really? Its been a year and a half and now it will take more than 2 years just to recieve RESULTS. Thats crazy.

Also, DueceDrives, I know you said everyone who took the exam should get a CDL right away, but what if we dont get called for the job? I am on the fence weather or not i should get my CDL without even knowing my results and if ill ever get hired. Could be a big waste of money and time..thoughts?

I apologize if this post sounds negative lol, I just really want to know my chances in getting this job and its really dragging out. I had 4 wrong on the test.

I also recieved a phone call and a email about the 9 month wait. Personally, I think its ridiculous, 9 months? Really? Its been a year and a half and now it will take more than 2 years just to recieve RESULTS. Thats crazy.

Also, DueceDrives, I know you said everyone who took the exam should get a CDL right away, but what if we dont get called for the job? I am on the fence weather or not i should get my CDL without even knowing my results and if ill ever get hired. Could be a big waste of money and time..thoughts?

I apologize if this post sounds negative lol, I just really want to know my chances in getting this job and its really dragging out. I had 4 wrong on the test.

I agree with your sentiments towards the long wait and process. As I said earlier, I have a feeling that this was more/less unanticipated by the MTA in that there could be factors that include a) fewer retirements than anticipated b) more people qualifying/making it past probation c)general turnover is lower. In two words, "it sucks", but we have to wait it out unfortunately. 

All of us who are taking this seriously, including myself are taking a gamble here with this. Just like any job or breaking into any industry there are risks and rewards. I chose to get my CDL license on my own and honestly, I accept that it might not work out with bus operator but it might (or not) work out with Bridge & Tunnel Officer (though I prefer bus operator).  :)

I understand completely, I too and many others would love to know our respective list numbers or if we didn't make it because of BOSS. I'd love to get an idea so I can plan things out long-term, you can say, that certain things are "on hold".  You should definitely have a chance with four wrong, so it might take a little while longer. Keep in mind not everyone took the test to "do well", and this isn't Sanitation where 1.25% of the whole city of 8 MILLION applied plus residency credits which unless you scored 100-105 you're going to have a very long wait.. 

Edited by 161passenger

Having the CDL is not just for Transit. Having that license the State consider you as a "Professional" driver. That's one of the reason that a CDL holder has more rules to follow especially if you are employed for a company that requires a CDL. You can work anywhere beside the MTA by holding that license. You just never know whats out there for you. You can try out the Bus Operator position and within the 6 months period you leave because the job is not for you. So don't just get the license because you're trying to work for transit. If MTA is the only option obtaining that license, The choice is your's. Just keep that in mind, I want everyone that's seeking a job to make it.

just wondering, roughly how long does it take to obtain a CDL license?

It varies if you just want to take the road test or if you want lessons as well. For the lessons, it also depends on what driving school you go to. For Ferrari Driving School (http://www.ferraridrivingschool.com/), they offer several packages. I scanned one of their color brochures for you folks to look at just to get an idea. However, last time I was at the school, they gave me a black and white copy of the packages with the updated prices.

Therefore, the minimum package with the CDL road test service is 15 hours being the wheel which cost $1,635.00** according to the information below. They strongly suggest the 25 hour package. Although it does cost more money, it includes a lot more things than the simple 15 hour package.

**Their prices did go up, therefore I would contact the school for the exact price if you want more information.

2dmiayw.jpg

If you do not want any of this and just want to schedule a road test, I believe Ferrari scheduled it for me at least three weeks in advance. I tried doing some research using the NY DMV Road Test Scheduling System and the earliest road test dates, just to give you an idea, are...

For the Bronx, diagonally across the street from Zerega Avenue - 7/28/15

Albany - 7/27/15

Buffalo - 7/21/15

I had a lot of trouble attempting to book a road test at the other sites located within the 5 boroughs of NYC and at some locations in Nassau County. However, if you go through a driving school, they will book it for you based on your availability during the week, which I would suggest, especially if this is the first time you are doing this.

Hopefully this answered your question.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

While we wait, I suggest getting some medical testing done.

This is was for a CDL DOT medical card. Little did I know but my blood pressure is border line "not good", so I am going to try to work on this naturally to reduce the number. Also, supposedly my eyesight isn't all that hot (I failed the Snellen test, but I think the lighting was terrible and the chart was next to a super bright window) so I am going to get further testing at an optometrist, I am hopeful I don't need glasses.

While we wait, I suggest getting some medical testing done.

This is was for a CDL DOT medical card. Little did I know but my blood pressure is border line "not good", so I am going to try to work on this naturally to reduce the number. Also, supposedly my eyesight isn't all that hot (I failed the Snellen test, but I think the lighting was terrible and the chart was next to a super bright window) so I am going to get further testing at an optometrist, I am hopeful I don't need glasses.

I've been wondering about this, my eyesight is pretty crappy. Is there a corrected/uncorrected standard? if so, does anyone know what it is?

I've been wondering about this, my eyesight is pretty crappy. Is there a corrected/uncorrected standard? if so, does anyone know what it is?

From a few posts I see its 20/40 in each eye, glasses/contacts OK, if you wear contacts you'll need to have your glasses on you at all times. Can anyone else please clarify or confirm? 

• 2 weeks later...

The  (MTA)  examination schedule (open-competitive and promotional)  for the second half of 2015 for TA, OA and BC positions is now available, by going here: MTA NYC Transit,  MaBSTOA, Staten Island Railway, MTA Bus Co. and MTA Bridges & Tunnels 2015 Examination Schedule

Among the more popular ones:

- Station Agent O/C (July 2015)

- Conductor O/C (September 2015)

- Train Operator Promo (September 2015)

- Train Operator O/C (December 2015)

Edited by 161passenger

From a few posts I see its 20/40 in each eye, glasses/contacts OK, if you wear contacts you'll need to have your glasses on you at all times. Can anyone else please clarify or confirm? 

From going through the employment processing for B/O exam 2613, 20/40 is the lowest acceptable reading. They do test both eyes together. However, if it is anything worse, you will need glasses or contacts to pass. As far as glasses/contacts, I personally don't know, however, as 161passenger said, it's safe to have both, or if you just need glasses for vision, or driving, bring them and only wear them for that  portion of the exam. There are plenty of people out there who fall into that category, so don't worry about it.

Now, in my case, when I got my eyes checked for the DOT Medical Certificate, I have 20/40 vision, but a few times I do wear glasses for vision, primarily in the classroom while trying to read the chalkboard, the overhead transparency, etc. Therefore, I brought my glasses with my just in case. Fortunately, I did not need them.

Therefore, if you are similar to me, and you have a pair, bring them just in case!! It's better to have them than to be placed on medical hold!!

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

@YoungNYCSubwayFan, thank you.

The standard is 20/40 for each eye. I have bad vision in one eye 20/60 so I need glasses to operate a vehicle, the other one is marginally 20/30-ish.  I recommend everyone getting vision checks whenever you are able to and if you need glasses, take some time getting used to driving with them - ideally, aside from not wanting to be put on medical hold & not driving a bus for the first time with glasses. 

Also, very important for those going for their learners permits and CDL licenses. I tried to convert my CDL Learners Permit to a CDL License at the DMV. However, there is a * new * federal mandate that requires all applicants to provide proof of lawful status and residency, per NYS DMV:

You must also prove your legal presence in the United States.

The Proofs of Identity, U.S. Legal Presence and NYS Residency (ID-44CDL) form lists all acceptable legal presence and New York State residence proof documents.  Please note: You must provide us the original documents (not photocopies).

Proofs of Identity, U.S. Legal Presence and NYS Residency (ID-44CDL)

NYS DMV - Get a CDL

Just an FYI for all those who's time is limited by work or other personal obligations. 

Edited by 161passenger

@YoungNYCSubwayFan, thank you.

You're welcome 161passenger.

Also, I would encourage all of you to visit http://dmv.ny.gov/commercial-drivers/new-cdl-testing-and-commercial-learner-permit-standards. This website lists all of the changes going into effect, which now include an "E1" restriction for those folks taking a road test in an automatic transmission, in addition to what 161passenger stated in the previous post.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, patiently waiting for 4600 is get a move on already...I jave some questions for the men and woman OTJ right now...

whats the take home pay like as a bus operator? I am trying to calculate a budget if/when I get the job (I had 4 wrong on the test), so I am curious what the pay is AFTER taxes every week/biweekly...starting pay and max pay id appreciate it..

also, how is the job overall? Do you guys like it? I assumed driving the bus becomes second nature the more and more you get experience on the job? Is driving the bus the only real responsibilty of this job? An overall summary of the job itself would be great...

last question!!! For those of us who dont know all the streets of NYC by heart, how do you learn the routes they give to you? I understand you get turnsheets but is that all the training you get for a specific route??

If someone on the job can answers these questions for me itd really help me to know what to expect...thanks guya.

Edited by MTAhopeful1

Hey guys, patiently waiting for 4600 is get a move on already...I jave some questions for the men and woman OTJ right now...

whats the take home pay like as a bus operator? I am trying to calculate a budget if/when I get the job (I had 4 wrong on the test), so I am curious what the pay is AFTER taxes every week/biweekly...starting pay and max pay id appreciate it..

also, how is the job overall? Do you guys like it? I assumed driving the bus becomes second nature the more and more you get experience on the job? Is driving the bus the only real responsibilty of this job? An overall summary of the job itself would be great...

last question!!! For those of us who dont know all the streets of NYC by heart, how do you learn the routes they give to you? I understand you get turnsheets but is that all the training you get for a specific route??

If someone on the job can answers these questions for me itd really help me to know what to expect...thanks guya.

First of all, as of July 12th, 2015, no one who took this exam has received their list numbers, nor been hired.

If I was you, check out http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/13093-bus-operator-exam-8006/ and http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/. If you don't find the answers you're looking for in those threads, you can post something similar in the B/O 2613 thread. You will be more likely to get an answer in that thread.

In addition, before you get too far ahead of yourself, I would first focus on passing the drug test, medical examination and the intense 10 Day B/O Training. If you're unsure of what I'm talking about, refer to 

and http://7online.com/archive/9512870/. As far as passing the drug test, medical examination and for some tips to help you pass training, refer to the 2613 thread. A lot of people, including myself, have contributed priceless information to help you get through all of it. Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan