General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

depends on what you want.if you want to get shots of trains comming from a distance,get a telephoto lens. the most used is the 75-300mm

if you want a shot of a train at the station,scenery,underground,interior then get a wide angle lens.these range from 16-70mm.the commonly used one is the 18-55mm. also be caurful on which ones you buy,some brands can cheaply make them casuing blur spots,or "blackouts" at the edges.

i recommend getting,nikon lenses,as it was made for your kind of camera,and be caurful on what you buy,some lenses can be made to fit certain sensers,like the D700,it has a full frame sensor,so its end of the lens might bigger then a begginer DSLR lens.hope this helps!

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SG1850284NKA.jpg

http://www.adorama.com/SG1850284NKA.html

18-50mm f2.8-4.5

Large Aperture, Standard Zoom with Optical Stabilization...

Perfect for Underground shots all around the zoom range

NK55200DXU.jpg

http://www.adorama.com/NK55200DXU.html

55-200mm f4-5.6

Compact, lightweight and telephoto zoom...

Perfect for getting that R32 in the yard like it's a foot away

Price limitations otherwise I would tell him to get the Nikon 18-70.

Another good suggestion, I had forgotten about that lens. It's longer and faster (hey, that's what she said, right?) than the 18-55 and comes with an ass-gasket to boot!

some lenses can be made to fit certain sensers,like the D700,it has a full frame sensor,so its end of the lens might bigger then a begginer DSLR lens.hope this helps!

That's incorrect. All modern Nikon DSLRs have the same lens mount. You can use DX lenses on FX bodies and you can use FX lenses on DX bodies.

ya,but wont there be like image cuts? since your putting lens that was meant for smaller sized sensors?

The D700 has an option that automatically adjusts for DX lenses so there's no issues of the lenses not fully covering the FX sensor. FX lenses fully cover DX sensors with light so there is no need for any adjustment. I've done so myself with my D40 and Harry's D700. It works fine.

I dont get it, i thought you said you had a Sony DSLR and P&S? How many cameras do you have. Also the "lens" doesn't do the magic for you but what you do to the camera is what you get.

Everything is on you. If you want the cam to do the work, use Auto.. Nothing else is gonna do it.. Plus maintenance and keeping the lens clean(Unlike some shots ive seen) is whats important..

Get the 18-55mm Lens. Its a very good lens. BTW you should have got that D40x that came with a kit. I bought the D3000 back in march and the day after I bought it they started selling it with a 18-200mm kit. I was pissed l0l. The 18-55mm works perfect for me especially underground. But now its time for a telephoto lens so I can get that bokeh effect.

Get the 18-55mm Lens. Its a very good lens. BTW you should have got that D40x that came with a kit. I bought the D3000 back in march and the day after I bought it they started selling it with a 18-200mm kit. I was pissed l0l. The 18-55mm works perfect for me especially underground. But now its time for a telephoto lens so I can get that bokeh effect.

Bokeh refers to ALL lenses. Has nothing to do with it being a telephoto lens or not. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm

Bokeh refers to ALL lenses. Has nothing to do with it being a telephoto lens or not. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm

Exactly, this was with a Nikon 18-55 VR.

dsc1355copy.jpg

I dont get it, i thought you said you had a Sony DSLR and P&S? How many cameras do you have. Also the "lens" doesn't do the magic for you but what you do to the camera is what you get.

Everything is on you. If you want the cam to do the work, use Auto.. Nothing else is gonna do it.. Plus maintenance and keeping the lens clean(Unlike some shots ive seen) is whats important..

Never had a Sony DSLR. It was H20 then Nikon D40x

depends on what you want.if you want to get shots of trains comming from a distance,get a telephoto lens. the most used is the 75-300mm

"also be caurful on which ones you buy,some brands can cheaply make them casuing blur spots,or "blackouts" at the edges."

Eeek, vignetting. It's a nice effect if you want to get artistic but undesirable when you want a clean, crisp photo

• 1 month later...

i wouldnt go with canon,even though they make good products,they get away with there specs.you should also look into the new panasonic fz40,sony hx1,and some nikon bridge cameras,or just buy a used/refurbished budget dslr,they produce excellent quality photos,and there sensors are about 19.5x larger then a average bridge/P&S camera.

The camera is good, however, you the photographer has to make the camera good. Any camera can take a picture, you just have to learn how to use it. However for just a few more bucks you can get a SLR. You can even get a D5000 with a 200mm lens kit. Shop around.

If I were you I would save up a few more bucks and get a SLR.

Edited by 553 Bridgeton

The camera is good, however, you the photographer has to make the camera good. Any camera can take a picture, you just have to learn how to use it. However for just a few more f**ks you can get a SLR. You can even get a D5000 with a 200mm lens kit. Shop around.

If I were you I would save up a few more bucks and get a SLR.

Im not gonna whore myself out for a camera! :(

The person behind the camera matters more than the camera itself. I'm not looking into an SLR because they can't record video.

Im not gonna whore myself out for a camera! :(

The person behind the camera matters more than the camera itself. I'm not looking into an SLR because they can't record video.

My bad for the lang. l0l I was texting also. That was sppose to be in my text convo l0l.

Well thats why you look. The D5000 is a SLR and shoots hd videos in 720P. There are a few cannon SLRs that shoot hd video in 1080i.