pjbr40

Queens Residents Say Buses Are Creating Dangerous Situation On Narrow Street

Whitestone Residents Want The Q15A's Route Changed

July 17, 2013 8:23 PM

Filed Under

LifestyleLocalNewsNY News

Related Tags

BusJanelle BurrellMTA,Q14Q15AQueens,Whitestone

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Residents of a Queens neighborhood have demanded action following a route change that is sending buses down a street so narrow that they barely fit.

“Almost all day you’ll see a car coming, a bus coming and neither one can get past,” Whitestone resident Denise Digirolomo told CBS 2′s Janelle Burrell on Wednesday.

The Q15A bus is barely able to round the corner between Clintonville Street and 10th Avenue in Whitestone, Queens. It’s a tight squeeze on a narrow, residential street.

“You can’t get out of your car in the evenings without worrying about getting hit by the bus,” Digirolomo said.

Digirolomo and her neighbors have gone on a mission to get the route changed. During times of heavy traffic buses often get stuck, they claim. One resident shot footage on his camera phone of a bus trying to go in reverse down 10th Avenue.

When cars are parked on both sides of the street the road becomes even more narrow, making it almost impossible for a car and a bus to pass through at the same time.

“Sometimes people park out here, the bus will stand here, keep honking, until maybe, close to a half hour until somebody comes out,” Bob Babich said.

Babich’s third generation restaurant lost six parking spaces to the bus stop, and now he is losing customers.

Officials, including state Sen. Tony Avella, have asked the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to change the route, but the MTA claims that this is the best route.

“This would take many of the riders along a long, circuitous, U-shaped routing and greatly slow their commute,” the MTA said. “We believe 10th Avenue is a wide enough street on which to operate the Q15A.’

Residents told CBS 2 that it is a matter of time before the bus route causes a serious problem.

“The day is going to happen when they’re going to have an emergency and the bus and the fire truck get caught,” Digirolomo said.

The MTA created the Q15A route in 2010 to accommodate riders of the eliminated Q14 bus.

People are still complaining about this? They've been doing it since the route's implementation.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/19984-mta-cuts-queens-residents-protest-new-residential-route-of-q15a-bus/

Quite honestly, it seems most of the complaints are originating from self centered people that don't bother to consider the transit riders in the area. This problem could be remedied in many way but they likely wouldn't settle for them.

One of the more reasons why I hate driving in Queens with a passion, a lot of their two way streets are smaller than our one way streets!  Hate it with a passion, but I wouldn't go that low and request the line to be changed.  I do agree that they should make those streets one-way if a bus is made to run on it.  It'll make the headaches go away definitely.

Whenever I read about residents bitch and moan about a bus routes' routing, I always think the ones who bitch the loudest are the ones who NEVER ride the bus. 

Case in point in my neighborhood when the Q39 was removed from Maspeth Ave.  Now it's on Grand Ave.  So many riders who live along the side streets now have a much longer walk.  The non bus riders were under the impression "nobody gets off, whoever is on that bus is going to Ridgewood."  How I regret not going to community meetings to fight the change, but I was working PM's at the time and just couldn't go.

I understand these residents and their complaints.  We have narrow streets as well in Riverdale and have a similar problem with express buses and local buses getting stuck along the Henry Hudson Parkway.  This is a perfect example of the (MTA) thinking that their way is the best way or better yet they know what's best for the community.  My issue is the shear arrogance of the (MTA) to tell residents what's best for them.  Oh no, you don't need that bus.  Oh no, this street is wide enough.  It's really something.  Why don't they just restore the damn bus that they replaced?

I understand these residents and their complaints.  We have narrow streets as well in Riverdale and have a similar problem with express buses and local buses getting stuck along the Henry Hudson Parkway.  This is a perfect example of the (MTA) thinking that their way is the best way or better yet they know what's best for the community.  My issue is the shear arrogance of the (MTA) to tell residents what's best for them.  Oh no, you don't need that bus.  Oh no, this street is wide enough.  It's really something.  Why don't they just restore the damn bus that they replaced?

But the other question is that is equally valid is "do these NIMBYs really represent the 'silent majority'?" A lot of people who work 9-5 simply can't be bothered to attend these meetings, and since when does anyone go out of the way to express a positive opinion to the MTA? For 90%, if not more, of transit riders, their most positive feeling about any work that any government agency does is. "Meh. That sounds all right."

But the other question is that is equally valid is "do these NIMBYs really represent the 'silent majority'?" A lot of people who work 9-5 simply can't be bothered to attend these meetings, and since when does anyone go out of the way to express a positive opinion to the MTA? For 90%, if not more, of transit riders, their most positive feeling about any work that any government agency does is. "Meh. That sounds all right."

Well I think it really depends on the neighborhood and the people that live there. Here in Riverdale we're very proactive and attend when possible.  You're right not everyone can come because they have 9-5 jobs, but I have taken off from work to attend some events because I care about my community and the impact that certain things have.  

Speaking of problems, I don't seen people along Chinatown complaining.

I have seen chinatown buses getting stuck on Madison St/Pike St (coach buses)

I remember when M1 used to be on Park av, driver got stock on 39th St because of garbage truck double-parking.

I don't see people along Isham St complaining about bus issue.

Speaking of problems, I don't seen people along Chinatown complaining.

I have seen chinatown buses getting stuck on Madison St/Pike St (coach buses)

I remember when M1 used to be on Park av, driver got stock on 39th St because of garbage truck double-parking.

I don't see people along Isham St complaining about bus issue.

People east of the Van Wyck and north of Northern are, to put it lightly, very particular about what they like.

The MTA created the Q15A route in 2010 to accommodate riders of the eliminated Q14 bus.

I would have suggested one of the following...

(1) 150th, right 7th Avenue, right 152nd Street, left 10th Avenue. Keeps service to 7th Avenue, but uses 152nd to transition.

(2) 150th, right 11th Avenue, left 152nd Street, right 10th Avenue. Uses a wide section of 11th Avenue, but removes service from 7th Avenue.

Either way, the bus still uses the wide block of 10th Avenue between 152nd and 154th.

Couldn't they decrease a bit the size of the sidewalk to make more room for side parking? I don't think that the pedestrian traffic is heavy in this avenue and there are some useless spaces with grass.

Couldn't they decrease a bit the size of the sidewalk to make more room for side parking? I don't think that the pedestrian traffic is heavy in this avenue and there are some useless spaces with grass.

I think it cannot because if there's disable ADA person, sidewalk has to be enough room for wheelchairs and walkers to walk on.

Well, for starters, the "useless spaces with grass" are maintained to provide a space for trees (for shade and property values), to keep a space clear in case they want to install a fire hydrant (usually located next to the curb), or for aesthetic reasons (property values). The first reaction (probably the right one) would be protests to an elected official, or a lawsuit, because this is one of those few times where "destroying the character of the neighborhood" is actually occurring.

There are some streets in Queens that are too narrow for two cars to pass by side-by-side, regardless of how much you thin the sidewalk. Best to make it one way and use the leftover space as a bike lane or buffer or something.

They really should change that street to a one way street. Cars sometimes have trouble getting past each other, let alone buses. I don't know what genius decided to make that street two-way

That's not the only questionable situation in Queens...other examples are the Q37 on 114 Street and the Q40 on 142 Street. These residents do have a point. (The Q10 was formerly such a route.)

These residents do have a point.....

Sure they have a point..... Question is, what will the MTA do, amidst the complaining......

Whenever I read about residents bitch and moan about a bus routes' routing, I always think the ones who bitch the loudest are the ones who NEVER ride the bus.

Same here.....

But the other question is that is equally valid is "do these NIMBYs really represent the 'silent majority'?"

I think the NIMBY's never wanted the old Q14 there in (Whitestone in) the first place.... but that's just me.....

If you're a Q15A rider, speak up now before your neighbors sign away your bus.

yup... same point I made in an earlier post....

Archived