What subway car classes can be in a train together?

Union Tpke

I've been wondering what car classes can be in classes with a different class.

For example the redbirds where in mixed car classes a lot. R32s,r38s, R40 slants and modified,and r42s can run together. Can the R44s and R46s be in a train with other cars. How about these cars and the NTTs? Can someone give me a list of which cars can run in a consist of other cars from a different car class. In theory can an a a division car run together with a b division car in the b division.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

R44s and R46s were suppose to run together. They could, but you would burst the air pipe. The air pipe on the R44s and R46s were different. Also they had different breaking systems. So they could not run together. R142/142As could run together, but the ride would not be very comfortable for the passengers. Same story with the R62/62As and R68/68As.

Lets see...

Arnines (their own class)

Everything R10-R42 (both A and B division, all SMEE class)

R142 & R142A (one is faster than the other)

Any R160 can run with each other (Running Siemens and Alstom cars together doesn't work all that well)

Not sure about the 68s & 46s, heard those count as SMEE as well

I'll be straight forward (With the current fleet):

• Any of the redbirds - R32 - R38 - R40/M - R42 (The redbirds and R32/38/40/42 obviously didn't run together, but they can).
  • R44 (Can't be coupled with anything else)
  • R46 (Can't be coupled with anything else)
  • R62 - R62A (Can, but the train would jerk too much. They are not mixed together in regular service).
  • R68 - R68A (Can, but same case with the R62/A)
  • I believe the R62A - R68 & R62 - R68A can run together since they have the same air brakes, but i've never seen this happening.
  • R142 - R142A (Can, but the R142A are faster than the R142, causing major bucking issues. A test was done a little while back on the (4) , and it did not work out).
  • R143*
  • R160A/B (R160 in general). Siemens-Alstom mixed together is very rare, but still happens on occasion. The last time i've seen this was on the (Q) with 9102 & 8812.

*-The R160 were supposed to be compatible with the R143, but for some reason they are not. 

With the pre-Redbird fleet, I'm not sure. Fresh Pond pretty much explained that part.

No, the 44/46 is not compatible with the 68/68A....but R46's and R142/3/160's CAN actually run together, believe it or not!

.....and no, you aren't EVER going to see that happen except for an equipment move or a rescue train tow, so don't start getting ideas.

No, the 44/46 is not compatible with the 68/68A....but R46's and R142/3/160's CAN actually run together, believe it or not!

.....and no, you aren't EVER going to see that happen except for an equipment move or a rescue train tow, so don't start getting ideas.

That's what I figured. Different motors and electronic systems between the two makes it impossible. If I recall correctly, the R68's actually follow a more conventional design similar to the SMEE's unlike the R44's and R46's which follow a different concept in it's design.

How does the R44 be in the transit museum if it isn't able to connect to any other car? Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

It was very likely towed by a work service locomotive not a passenger train.

How would it work on fan trips? Passengers usually go in between cars to see different cars. R40 Slants would probably be on the ends. If they were on a fan trip I would love to take a video from the slant's RFW

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

How does the R44 be in the transit museum if it isn't able to connect to any other car? Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Coupler adapters. This is not a real connection where you have control of the entire train (the brakes have to be cut out on the cars being pulled), but to pull a train with a different couplers, you can hook up the "iron" part with a third piece that goes between them.

they have the same couplers (but still, you have to make sure the covers are drawn, as they will not automatically push each other out of the way like they do when coupling the same car class), but as far as electric and air, they are different. So this too would only be an "iron" hookup.

It's annoying how they always vowed similar car classes (44/46, 62/62A, 68/68A, 143/160) would be compatible, but then they always have to change these little things, which make them incompatible. Like having to swich between GE and Westinghouse (That I think was part of what made even same car classes incompatible in different degrees, over the years).

The ugliest thing I ever saw was a mix R40 slant with R42s when they came to the (A) and (C) lines

I thought it was a throwback to the late 1960s-1980s when that was a common occurrence. There was even R10s mixed with R42s on some occasions that ran on the (A) .

lol you just had to ruin the fun... *wipes drool*

anything in the SMEE family can be coupled together.

Why would you even... Nevermind

What? Any car class in the SMEE family can be coupled to another car in that grouping. The systems are the same. You can couple an R10 to and R68 since they are both in the SMEE family (62/As and 68/As were back steps tech wise after the troubles the 44s and 46s caused). You basically have the follow groups in revenue service;

SMEE

R44

R46

R142

R142A

R143

R160s

R188 if CBTC conversion precludes coupling to non rebuilt cars.

What? Any car class in the SMEE family can be coupled to another car in that grouping. The systems are the same. You can couple an R10 to and R68 since they are both in the SMEE family (62/As and 68/As were back steps tech wise after the troubles the 44s and 46s caused). You basically have the follow groups in revenue service;

SMEE

R44

R46

R142

R142A

R143

R160s

R188 if CBTC conversion precludes coupling to non rebuilt cars.

142s and up aren't SMEE's they're NTTs two completely different braking systems, and you need to beore specific with your answers your first post was misleading.

R32CoupledToR68.jpg

R68A and R32 running together.

Woah what ? I can see how it can be done because a T/O said :

Coupler adapters. This is not a real connection where you have control of the entire train (the brakes have to be cut out on the cars being pulled), but to pull a train with a different couplers, you can hook up the "iron" part with a third piece that goes between them.

they have the same couplers (but still, you have to make sure the covers are drawn, as they will not automatically push each other out of the way like they do when coupling the same car class), but as far as electric and air, they are different. So this too would only be an "iron" hookup.

Woah what ? I can see how it can be done because a T/O said :

the 68s count as SMEE so they could run with each other...impractical, but possible

Here's a list from what i can gather from this thread..

Arnines

R1, R4, R6, R7, R9

SMEE

R10, R11/34, R12, R14, R15, R16, R17, R21, R22, R26, R27, R28, R29, R30, R32, R33, R36, R38, R40, R42, R62/A, R68/A

R44

R46

NTT 1 (can be hooked up to other NTT classes, albeit iron to iron only)

R142/A

NTT 2 (can be hooked up to other NTT classes, albeit iron to iron only)

R143

NTT 3 (can be hooked up to other NTT classes, albeit iron to iron only)

R160A/B

...if anyone sees any mistakes, please correct them

Archived