Can I put my feet on an empty cross seat?

arthurone

This morning my wife and I sat in a 2-facing-2 cross seat section, and I put my feet on the empty cross seat. At one stop a man passed by and slowed down, I immediately removed my feet, that guy chose to sit the other side of the aisle – the train was still pretty empty. But he stared at me and started “you can’t put your feet there…” blah blah. After bearing his lecture for 15 sec I replied, “If you wanted to sit here go ahead as I moved my feet, otherwise it’s none of your business.” He then exploded with “f *_ you”! We began to exchange dirty words. I’m not sure I should label him a racist, or utter discrimination, but it seemed so convenient for him to say “Go back to your f *_king country!” “Improve your f *_king English!” I came here 13 yrs ago, and pretty confident w/ my English, though it’s so meaningless in trying to win this cursing war, so I eventually toned down, with him calling me repeatedly “f *_king pussy” and challenging “let’s resolve this off the train, at any place you want and in whatever way you want”.  

This guy is a jerk! But my question really is, can you put your feet on an empty seat crossing you? I started taking that train two months ago after I moved, and I do see people do that from time to time!

It's pretty rude to do so and I can't blame the guy for getting upset.  First off you're taking up seats that someone may want to sit in and #2 your feet are for walking, not to be put on the seats where people sit at.  The most that I'll do is cross my legs on the LIRR or MetroNorth, but I would never put my feet up on the chair like that.  It's very unclassy, dirty and inconsiderate of others.  

You can do it on your own will but:

1. You can get fined for it, even putting your bag on an empty train with empty seats by the NYPD.
  2. Like all said, it's rude, unless you consider a subway car your home. [No offense.]

Just don't do it.

I agree with the others. I know I wouldn't want to sit where your shoes have been whether its the NYC streets or a public restroom.

Sure, you could justify it by taking your shoes off. Putting you feet on the seat after being confined to your shoes all day doesn't sound appealing either if I wanted to sit there .

Bottom line. The floor is for your feet. The seat is for your backside.

I think it's illegal to put your feet on empty seat on subway, bus or trains. If police caught you, you might get $50 fine.

It's not just trains. Even if you're in movie theater, school auditorium, or cafeteria, you cannot hug your seat by putting your foot, or putting bags on empty seat.

I agree with the others. I know I wouldn't want to sit where your shoes have been whether its the NYC streets or a public restroom.

Sure, you could justify it by taking your shoes off. Putting you feet on the seat after being confined to your shoes all day doesn't sound appealing either if I wanted to sit there .

I don't think I've seen anyone do it yet on a MetroNorth train and the only time I cross my legs is on off-peak times when I can actually get an entire row or two seats to myself.  Most of the time I'm standing though so sitting isn't even a possibility.  

So wait: If im coming home from school and take my bookbag off and sit it next to me on the bench on the R train I can get fined?

Yep. It's also rude.

It's basic transit etiquette guys - keep to the right on a escalator if you're standing, let people exit first, and don't put your things on the furniture.

What really gets me are the people who put their bare feet on the seat. I guess ignorance is bliss because I have seen some disgusting things (including all sorts of bodily fluids) on these seats.

What really gets me are the people who put their bare feet on the seat. I guess ignorance is bliss because I have seen some disgusting things (including all sorts of bodily fluids) on these seats.

What gets me are people who decide to clip their toenails or paint their nails. Like, really? You're stinking up the whole car and this is possibly the least hygenic place on earth to do this sorta thing.

That's pretty disgusting and immature of you to put your feet on a seat. But I do agree that that guy was a dumbass to start cursing at you like that. And I wouldn't say he was really discriminating you imo because he didn't mention a specific country but regardless the guy was still rude. Also just because you see someone doing something doesn't automatically mean it is right. Using that same logic, would you rob a bank if you saw someone doing that?

I'm going to put this bluntly, would you like to sit on a seat where someone placed their shoes and risk dirtying your clothes? Thought you wouldn't.

I'm not justifying the guy's behavior, but it's easy to see why he'd be as pissed as he was. It's annoying to see people disrespect the vehicles they ride. I wouldn't say anything, but I'd prefer if people didn't do such acts.

Archived