They’re here today: Taxi of Tomorrow have begun hitting the streets

Harry

post-5097-0-69057400-1383074444_thumb.jpg
You can catch a Taxi of Tomorrow today. The first two of the Nissan NV200 cabs — full of rider amenities like cell phone charging ports and see-through roofs — have already hit the streets despite an ongoing court battle, according to the Taxi and Limousine Commission. “People, they love the car,” cabbie Ranjit Singh, who bought an NV200. “They say want sit there all day. I’m serious. Some pepole say, I ‘don’t want to go to the office.’ They love this car.” The city struck a 10-year deal for Nissan to be the exclusive provider of yellow cabs but judges have ruled the Bloomberg administration needed - but failed - to secure City Council approval for such a sweeping policy move.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-69057400-1383074444_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

1. These things are too Asian-looking for the states.

2. They should eat their words and buy American.

1. Well maybe because it's made by a Japanese company.

2. Shame that most American made cars aren't as suited for a taxi business anymore. Those Crown Vic's were nice at the time but they aren't up to par anymore.

Those Crown Vic's were nice at the time but they aren't up to par anymore.

So what if they aren't modern? The old Checker cabs were out of date, but the last one didn't go until 1999, or seventeen years after the end of production.  Now that's what I call durability.

Ford Crown Victoria doesn't beat the Toyota Confort (and Crown Confort), one of the favorite model among Japanese and Hong Kong taxi. 

Not only this model produced since 1995 is still on sale but even in 1995 Toyota Confort design was already outdated.   :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Comfort

So what if they aren't modern? The old Checker cabs were out of date, but the last one didn't go until 1999, or seventeen years after the end of production.  Now that's what I call durability.

Did I say they weren't modern?  I said they are not up to par anymore.  They are uncomfortable...I rather sit on the newer Town Cars.

Lincoln needs to stop being so gobdamn dumb and remake the Town Car. Getting rid of what could possibly be their most profitable car. Think about this: Before the end of production, what was the model of nearly every taxi you saw?

Lincoln needs to stop being so gobdamn dumb and remake the Town Car. Getting rid of what could possibly be their most profitable car. Think about this: Before the end of production, what was the model of nearly every taxi you saw?

Personally, I prefer the Mercury Grand Marquis, but you're right nonetheless.  Bring back the Town Car!1985_Lincoln_Town_Car.jpg

Well for me taxi's were pretty much dominated by Ford Crown Victoria's.  Livery service of course with the Town Car's.

I myself owned a Lincoln, a LS V8.  Loved it...too bad the hydraulic fan was and always will be crap.

Archived