R32 sets being pulled off the (C) ?

Turbo19

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/nyregion/for-often-late-cars-of-subways-c-train-retirement-must-wait.html?_r=0

“People were impressed,” he said, citing the original robin’s-egg blue interior and aquamarine seats. “Rail fans love the R32s. They are very pleased they are not going to replace them.”

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO they are gonna dump em all out there since the summer swap worked

Didn't we been through this issue months ago (including the R42 retirement "thing"...)? See links below:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36322-r32-ac-line-fleet-swap-discussion-thread/?p=712124

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36322-r32-ac-line-fleet-swap-discussion-thread/?p=712221

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36322-r32-ac-line-fleet-swap-discussion-thread/?p=712272

Some or at least half of the R32s running on the (J) and some or at least half of its R160s running on the (C) is fine due to the aforementioned reasons (referring to the summer season only).

I hate to say this as I am a fan of the 32s but I just don't see them getting past 50...

I concur. I think the R32's kicks ass.

Commuting on these brightliners for as long as I can remember with the exception of the time I noticed the A/C units were breaking down. Fast, comfortable rides with the vertical bench seating arrangement, which I like, as compared to the transverse seating arrangement of the R68's and R46's although those cars have their pluses too. Reliable cars as of today depite the age of them post SMS and the MDBF data proves it.

However as the saying goes all good things has to come to an end and I'm looking forward to the next generation of NTT's to hit the rails. Which was why I took literally almost 200 pics of them at this point.

The ignorance is strong in this one...

Off record, I like the R62's on the (3) too.

=D

Exactly. The R46s are relatively fine. Its just that the (A), (F) and (R) are already long enough as they are and have heavy ridership, so that's why their Mean Distance Between Failures are down in part because of those three lines, their ridership levels and hours of operation.

I concur. I think the R32's kicks ass.

Commuting on these brightliners for as long as I can remember with the exception of the time I noticed the A/C units were breaking down. Fast, comfortable rides with the vertical bench seating arrangement, which I like, as compared to the transverse seating arrangement of the R68's and R46's although those cars have their pluses too. Reliable cars as of today depite the age of them post SMS and the MDBF data proves it.

However as the saying goes all good things has to come to an end and I'm looking forward to the next generation of NTT's to hit the rails. Which was why I took literally almost 200 pics of them at this point.

Off record, I like the R62's on the (3) too.

=D

I agree that they kick ass.I just question for how long...

I would like to bring up something in regards to the topic being discussed.

After the recent SMS of the R32's (to have their lives extended into at least 2017) the MDBF's improved dramatically between 2011 and 2012 according to latest data as seen here:

Source: http://straphangers.org/statesub12/Cprofile.pdf

Source: http://mta.info/mta/budget/july2011/July%202011%20Financial%20Plan%20Vol%202.pdf

Source: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/35259-march-2012-subway-mdbf/?p=540847

R32SMS2_zps3fb101f7.jpg

MDBF_zpsea1d528e.png

An important factor to consider is that the overall performance of a given revenue service line depends on many factors which includes performance of assigned rolling stock.

In 2011 the (C) ranked worst out of all the lines in terms of performance due to mainly frequent mechanical breakdowns of the legacy SMEE fleet. As an indirect a result of the SMS of the R32's which includes overhauls of the trucks themselves, the MBDF's in 2012 went up to levels which even surpassed the R142A's during that year.

I have no current data with overall performance by line available. However what I can tell you is that from personal experiences commuting nearly every day on the IND CPW and 8th Ave Line, I have'nt had too many problems with the 8th Ave Local to Fulton Street where it pertains to R32's since SMS. Yet.

The cars run. However, Rail Car Division cannot keep these cars running indefinitely at this high level of current performance. They will have to put the cars permanantly out of service, eventually with the bringing in of the R179's as many are saying. (And lets hope there isn't any future delays this pending NTT contract).

And you beat me to it, thats what I'm saying.

Well according to the latest MDBF report (july '13), the 32s are only raking up 52,000 miles...second worse only to the 42s which barely get over 30,000 miles...

Well according to the latest MDBF report (july '13), the 32s are only raking up 52,000 miles...second worse only to the 42s which barely get over 30,000 miles...

Woah they fell off the beam in performance just that quickly? That must explain then the observations made by Turbo in the first place. However we can both be very sure that 207th Shops (Or Coney Island?) are working on repairing those sets. We can't afford to lose none of those 222 cars at this point, if thats the current count.

The truth in the matter is whether sources say this or that is things happen. Those 49 year old subway cars are busting their asses nearly or everyday getting commuters where they desire to go no matter if they breakdown on average 25K miles or 100k miles. Everything breaks down and needs to be maintained there's only so much that can be done within a budget and time frame for the benefit of the subway cars themselves and various other things. While the newer cars are racking a couple hundred thousands miles they break down too,and guess what they get pulled from service just as any subway car. Things happen suddenly its not the subway cars fault. We breakdown whether its being sick and not being to attend school or work. It happens. They are here to serve and they've performed excellent even at age 49 they are getting the job done the best they can. 

Complete list of MDBF for all cars, as of July 2013..not at home to upload the picture

From worst to best...

R42: 32,302 miles

R32: 52,205 miles

R143: 85,699 miles

R46: 95,396 miles

R142A: 119,095 miles

R68A: 120,983 miles

R62A: 146,092 miles

R142: 166,521 miles

R68: 168,489 miles

R62: 185,303 miles

R160: 506,597 miles

...the average MDBF for the entire subway fleet is 160,140 miles.

I'm somewhat suprised about the R42s. A few weeks ago, one lost power idication at Jamaica Center S/B and had to be removed from service. But there was also another time when all one of them were taken out of service one by one at Jamaica Center for who knows what reason, causing the Brooklyn/Manhattan (J) passengers to wait 25 minutes (or more) until an R160 finally showed up. This was totally horrendous because the platform became severely overcrowded. This happen during the evening rush after I had RFW'ed the entire (J) line in both directions.

I hate to say this as I am a fan of the 32s but I just don't see them getting past 50...

I mean, that's 2015 for the majority of the cars, and that's exactly when retirement is currently planned to start. That's already by far the longest any subway car has lasted in decades and many years longer than expected of the 32s, so I don't see what's so bad about that. 

Didn't we been through this issue months ago (including the R42 retirement "thing"...)? See links below:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36322-r32-ac-line-fleet-swap-discussion-thread/?p=712124

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36322-r32-ac-line-fleet-swap-discussion-thread/?p=712221

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36322-r32-ac-line-fleet-swap-discussion-thread/?p=712272

Some or at least half of the R32s running on the (J) and some or at least half of its R160s running on the (C) is fine due to the aforementioned reasons (referring to the summer season only).

Trust me they're pulling the Jamaica yard stunt, when the R32s were on the (J) they ran much more than the (C) and they ran much better and had WAY less problems than the (C) and they run less on the (C) than the (J)

And When I mean by saying Jamaica yard stunt, I mean they're basicly abusing the cars to get newer equipment, trust me from what I heard they didn't want to give those R160s up at all

At this point I doubt they'll get rid of the R42s due to the fact that they need em and have no choice but to keep them

At this point I think its best to take the R32s off the (C) and trade em for 200 R160A-1s the remaining 22 cars can be used for work service

Trust me they're pulling the Jamaica yard stunt, when the R32s were on the (J) they ran much more than the (C) and they ran much better and had WAY less problems than the (C) and they run less on the (C) than the (J)

And When I mean by saying Jamaica yard stunt, I mean they're basicly abusing the cars to get newer equipment, trust me from what I heard they didn't want to give those R160s up at all

At this point I doubt they'll get rid of the R42s due to the fact that they need em and have no choice but to keep them

At this point I think its best to take the R32s off the (C) and trade em for 200 R160A-1s the remaining 22 cars can be used for work service

Sorry for the double post my phone acting up

I agree that they kick ass.I just question for how long...

So I'm not the only that see's what's up then?

Thank you!

Right on dude. MTA needs to clear house and kill them with one stone in my opinion. Maybe set aside a set or two for historical purposes, big maybe.

And here is why:

Exactly!

Woah they fell off the beam in performance just that quickly? That must explain then the observations made by Turbo in the first place. However we can both be very sure that 207th Shops (Or Coney Island?) are working on repairing those sets. We can't afford to lose none of those 222 cars at this point, if thats the current count.

Yeah man, those cars are going through a fate worse than death, all I can say for sure.

Sorry for the double post my phone acting up

Source? Link? Where did you get this information?

Let's scrap the R143's too. The don't get a much higher MBDF than the R32's, especially considering their relatively young age.

Right

@Realizm I took the (J) just about everyday to commute and they rode much better than on the (C), when the (C) was all R46 for one weekend, the (J) still ran R32s

If they ran R32s on the (J) all hours of the day (24/7) and have way less problems than the (C) what does that tell you, the MDBF is just pure calculation in the overall fleet not yard to yard, the R32s broke down much more on the (C) than the (J) and its obvious

It obvious that they performed much better on the (J) why would they run 4 sets overnight with an R42 set even though they had enough R160s for the (J) for the overnight, ENY had a few bad apples compared to the (C), even when the 1st few sets got there ENY sent the straight to the barn to get inspected and fixed before service

While the R160s were breaking down just as bad as the R32s on the (C) due to overheating and other issues

Let's scrap the R143's too. The don't get a much higher MBDF than the R32's, especially considering their relatively young age.

So what else is gonna run on the (L)? 99% of the fleet is 143s and what else has CBTC capabilities?

What, you're gonna say the 160s? Those 64 cars? Nowhere near enough cars for the entire line

How a train "rides" according to passenger perception is not an accurate metric of car performance.

This...

It obvious that they performed much better on the (J) why would they run 4 sets overnight with an R42 set even though they had enough R160s for the (J) for the overnight, ENY had a few bad apples compared to the (C), even when the 1st few sets got there ENY sent the straight to the barn to get inspected and fixed before service

While the R160s were breaking down just as bad as the R32s on the (C) due to overheating and other issues

Ummm...when those 32s & 42s were running overnight on the (J), wasn't it because their 160s were our for SMS work? I'm pretty sure that's the reason. They had no choice but to use them

Archived