R32 sets being pulled off the (C) ?

Turbo19

Sources tell me that a few R32 sets have been pulled off the (C) , mainly due to deterioration and damage beyond normal wear and tear.

Is it possible that this is a sign of things to come, and if so is there a greater possibility the R32's be retired earlier than expected?

Feedback is much appreciated.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last I heard the 32s are holding up fine, the 42s are the ones in really bad shape.

I'd wait for someone who knows more about the situation, not just someone who's actually here in NY but probably working for the TA too, before I believe anything like that.

Ehh, I use an amount of discretion here.

The TA can afford to lose a few sets of cars (they are ancient, after all), but there simply isn't the excess rolling stock available to retire the R32s before 2016-2017... 

Right, which is why I'm wondering if the TA would have to resort to drastic measures to prevent a total crap out.

Yep it's true. Like 2 weeks ago a few sets were taken OOS on a weekend. Ironically the (C) that broke down on the local tracks along the Fulton Street, the (C) that was running Express broke down at the same station as the local (C) during that weekend

Yeah, those are the ones. These aren't just sporadic incidents, I think it's time the R32's finally go, once and for all.

Bullshit, if this was true a lot of people would have fount out already, they aren't that bad in shape and if they were they would have not spent over 25 million on rehabbing the cars.

There's plenty of spares at 207th they're fine

Hell if they are so bad they would have taken them off the garbage train and the RAT

Bullshit, if this was true a lot of people would have fount out already, they aren't that bad in shape and if they were they would have not spent over 25 million on rehabbing the cars.

There's plenty of spares at 207th they're fine

Hell if they are so bad they would have taken them off the garbage train and the RAT

You can only do so much in regard to rehabilitation though.

To paraphrase, would you find a 49 year old women who went through plastic surgery and a shitload of botox as attractive as a say 19 year old women. If you're like the majority (which for your sake I'm hoping you are) then probably no.

And sure, there's spares for now, but it's only a matter before those sets are cannibalized for parts as well.

And to an extent I'd say the garbage train and the rail train are vastly different from revenue service train. I'd say eventually convert the R32's all to service trains (garbage trains most likely) as it's less demanding on the cars.

As far as revenue service they're beyond finished.

On a side note and for comparison purposes, keep in mind that the R27's were also rehabbed, and even they went to scrap. Practically from a repaint to the junker.

Time after time it's been proven, hell remember the R10's?

They aren't in bad shape, this is just a BS rumor, I work for a recently retired TA worker who still has contacts with people within the system, it would have been out there if this was true

Yea they're old but they need em for service, we don't have shit to replace em with, even if the R179s come in we are still gonna be short

Like this summer, when they ran R46s on the C because all the R32s HVAC units were overheating, that same day half the (J) line was still running R32s without issue

The R32 on the (J) is staying and IMHO they are gonna dump em all out there since the summer swap worked

Yea but in a case like this you cannot replace anything unless its unsafe for service, the R32s aren't unsafe, if anything that needs to go Asap is this SI R44s they're are in much worse shape than the R32s

They aren't in bad shape, this is just a BS rumor, I work for a recently retired TA worker who still has contacts with people within the system, it would have been out there if this was true

Yea they're old but they need em for service, we don't have shit to replace em with, even if the R179s come in we are still gonna be short

Like this summer, when they ran R46s on the C because all the R32s HVAC units were overheating, that same day half the (J) line was still running R32s without issue

The R32 on the (J) is staying and IMHO they are gonna dump em all out there since the summer swap worked

Which is why I'm asking can the MTA accelerate the retirement of the 32's, or is it a matter of being forced to?

And dude, it won't work. If they're dying on the (C) which has a lesser demand than they sure as hell will die on the (J) / (Z) .

Which is why I'm asking can the MTA accelerate the retirement of the 32's, or is it a matter of being forced to?

And dude, it won't work. If they're dying on the (C) which has a lesser demand than they sure as hell will die on the (J) / (Z) .

They're really stuck until the 179s start to show, especially if they decide to get rid of the 42s, but that rumor's died down lately.

The real problem is that the TA is too trigger-happy with scrapping. You'd have thought the lesson had been learned that it's always important to keep spare cars around, but it wasn't, and when we had the R44 frame disaster the TA suddenly ran out of options for the R42s and R32s for the eight or so years after the St. Louis Cars went to shit. From what I understand, there's a contract with the scrapper which requires a certain number of cars to be sent each year (hence the original R36 WFs 9400-9401 were killed, out of nowhere), but the solution to that is to negotiate a new contract, not to keep scrapping until you've got no reserve left.

They ran the R32s on the (J) all night throughout the summertime and they didn't have as much issues as the (C) and mind you I'm talking about 4 sets running all hours 24/7, they'll survive the (J), I rode em during the overnight and caught the same exact set 8 hours later

They're really stuck until the 179s start to show, especially if they decide to get rid of the 42s, but that rumor's died down lately.

Alright then. I'll be dying if they die on that (J) though.

The real problem is that the TA is too trigger-happy with scrapping. You'd have thought the lesson had been learned that it's always important to keep spare cars around, but it wasn't, and when we had the R44 frame disaster the TA suddenly ran out of options for the R42s and R32s for the eight or so years after the St. Louis Cars went to shit. From what I understand, there's a contract with the scrapper which requires a certain number of cars to be sent each year (hence the original R36 WFs 9400-9401 were killed, out of nowhere), but the solution to that is to negotiate a new contract, not to keep scrapping until you've got no reserve left.

True, though at this point I think the R32's are proving to be problematic enough for the MTA to negotiate a contract at an accelerated rate. The interiors and external system look like crap, so imagine internal problems.

They ran the R32s on the (J) all night throughout the summertime and they didn't have as much issues as the (C) and mind you I'm talking about 4 sets running all hours 24/7, they'll survive the (J), I rode em during the overnight and caught the same exact set 8 hours later

Al right. As I said above, I'll be dying when they essentially shit out on the passengers.

When I ride em I rarely run into issues with them, the thing is a lot of you guys over react but this is nothing compared to years ago, they're staying until the replacements are coming bottom line, don't like it get a car or ride a cab

And the breakdown rates on the (J) compared to (C) is completely funny because they broke down less on the (J) and they ran 24/7 on the (J)

I think this is a stunt to get those R160s off the (J)

When I ride em I rarely run into issues with them, the thing is a lot of you guys over react but this is nothing compared to years ago, they're staying until the replacements are coming bottom line, don't like it get a car or ride a cab

And the breakdown rates on the (J) compared to (C) is completely funny because they broke down less on the (J) and they ran 24/7 on the (J)

I think this is a stunt to get those R160s off the (J)

Yeah, and where the hell is anyone going to find the feddy to drop on a new auto or cab like that? Got a hoopty up for grabs?

Yeah, about that stunt that you claim, far from. I'm just saying these R32's are problematic is all. So problematic that they were pulled from service and likely to quit sooner than later.

@Turbo19: It's the inside that counts.They don't have to look like the R160's on the outside as long as they're still good on the inside. Which they are. Sure, a few of 'em may cause some trouble but it's not like new(er) stuff never breaks down. And if those R32 sets give problems, they have a gazillion spares at 207th.

@Turbo19: It's the inside that counts.They don't have to look like the R160's on the outside as long as they're still good on the inside. Which they are. Sure, a few of 'em may cause some trouble but it's not like new(er) stuff never breaks down. And if those R32 sets give problems, they have a gazillion spares at 207th.

How does 207th Street have "gazillion" spares? There are only 222 out of the 600 R32s left in service, meaning the entire (C) fleet is a total of 27 trainsets and 6 segments of cars. It runs 18 trains every day at 10-12 minute headways, while 10 trains are on standby as spares as well as those 6 segments of cars.

If that is indeed true then here's to hoping 2015 comes sooner than later. The cars are worn to shit, and I am sure many are in agreement. Suprised that the propulsion hasn't given out on all of them by now, especially with the beating they take on a daily basis. Just place the R32's to rest already.

If that is indeed true then here's to hoping 2015 comes sooner than later. The cars are worn to shit, and I am sure many are in agreement. Suprised that the propulsion hasn't given out on all of them by now, especially with the beating they take on a daily basis. Just place the R32's to rest already.

Let's relax a little haha, it's really not THAT bad. The (C) isn't the worst line in the system, and the cars are still in extremely good shape for their age. It's not that grim. I ride them fairly regularly, and the majority run well. Remember that the MDBF figures aren't just propulsion, but also some of the things like door motors and other electrical things which aren't impossible to fix. 

I would like to bring up something in regards to the topic being discussed.

After the recent SMS of the R32's (to have their lives extended into at least 2017) the MDBF's improved dramatically between 2011 and 2012 according to latest data as seen here:

Source: http://straphangers.org/statesub12/Cprofile.pdf

Source: http://mta.info/mta/budget/july2011/July%202011%20Financial%20Plan%20Vol%202.pdf

Source: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/35259-march-2012-subway-mdbf/?p=540847

R32SMS2_zps3fb101f7.jpg

MDBF_zpsea1d528e.png
An important factor to consider is that the overall performance of a given revenue service line depends on many factors which includes performance of assigned rolling stock.

In 2011 the (C) ranked worst out of all the lines in terms of performance due to mainly frequent mechanical breakdowns of the legacy SMEE fleet. As an indirect a result of the SMS of the R32's which includes overhauls of the trucks themselves, the MBDF's in 2012 went up to levels which even surpassed the R142A's during that year.

I have no current data with overall performance by line available. However what I can tell you is that from personal experiences commuting nearly every day on the IND CPW and 8th Ave Line, I have'nt had too many problems with the 8th Ave Local to Fulton Street where it pertains to R32's since SMS. Yet.

The cars run. However, Rail Car Division cannot keep these cars running indefinitely at this high level of current performance. They will have to put the cars permanantly out of service, eventually with the bringing in of the R179's as many are saying. (And lets hope there isn't any future delays this pending NTT contract).

Let's relax a little haha, it's really not THAT bad. The (C) isn't the worst line in the system, and the cars are still in extremely good shape for their age. It's not that grim. I ride them fairly regularly, and the majority run well. Remember that the MDBF figures aren't just propulsion, but also some of the things like door motors and other electrical things which aren't impossible to fix. 

And you beat me to it, thats what I'm saying.

Yeah I don't get this worry all of a sudden. As said, the R179s aren't even built yet. There's nothing ready right away to replace the R32s. Like it or not, they are staying or else there will be a big car shortage.

-

Lol on the women comparison earlier. Hardly the same. If the R32s can still run, then why pull them off service? It's not like the frame issue with the R44s. R160s are ok, but the point is whatever train shows up first, I'm taking it. Age doesn't matter as long as it runs.

Archived