NJ Transit: Two-thirds of customers surveyed report high satisfaction

Turbo19

The results of NJ Transit’s latest customer survey showed an overall satisfaction rating of 6.4 for the first quarter of Fiscal Year 2014 (FY14), matching the agency’s highest customer satisfaction rating that was achieved during the third quarter of the previous fiscal year.

In addition to a strong overall satisfaction score, NJ Transit also posted record highs on its bus, commuter rail and light rail service during the same time period.

The most recent survey, which was conducted online between August 12 and Sept. 3, was the first to be offered in both English and Spanish. It asked bus, commuter rail, light rail and Access Link customers to rate the transit system on a scale of 0 to 10, and as with previous surveys, customers considered 42 attributes of the system related to facilities, scheduling, vehicles, communications and the overall experience using NJ Transit. Customers were also asked to identify the most important aspects of NJ Transit service among the items they rated.

“This survey data continues to drive our strategic decisions with the goal of improving the overall experience for the people who use the NJ Transit system each day,” said NJ Transit Executive Director James Weinstein. “We remain committed to actively monitoring our customers’ feedback so that we can respond to meet their needs.”

Read More: Source

Those surveys are either fixed or don't include Route 9 pax... probably takes too much time off their hands for them to take one anyway.

We're all sick of Transit out in these parts... $324 a month for buses ($15 one way) never on time anymore, crowded, and now with this Designline crap that's thankfully going out the door uncomfortable and cramped. I remember the days when every few minutes during rush hour anywhere from 2-3 139s would pull in at once (bunching was actually good in these parts since all the buses went SRO by/at Old Bridge), now you're lucky if you get 1 not SRO within 5-10. Bustime should improve it though, but of course Designline delayed that for us.

For the record I'm sure this is also excluding other operations under the NJT brand. Figures they wouldn't factor in Academy, DeCamp, etc.

That's all independent except for the ones providing service under contract to NJT, as in anything with an NJT branded bus/schedule such as the Academy or Coach locals in Middlesex and Bergen. NJT just owns some of the independent PBLs fleet.

Also IIRC if you enter these surveys you get entered to possibly win a $100 amex giftcard, so I wouldn't be surprised if some folks just put in the "right answers" to increase their chance of winning.

• 2 weeks later...

The results of NJ Transit’s latest customer survey showed an overall satisfaction rating of 6.4 for the first quarter of Fiscal Year 2014 (FY14), matching the agency’s highest customer satisfaction rating that was achieved during the third quarter of the previous fiscal year.

In addition to a strong overall satisfaction score, NJ Transit also posted record highs on its bus, commuter rail and light rail service during the same time period.

The most recent survey, which was conducted online between August 12 and Sept. 3, was the first to be offered in both English and Spanish. It asked bus, commuter rail, light rail and Access Link customers to rate the transit system on a scale of 0 to 10, and as with previous surveys, customers considered 42 attributes of the system related to facilities, scheduling, vehicles, communications and the overall experience using NJ Transit. Customers were also asked to identify the most important aspects of NJ Transit service among the items they rated.

“This survey data continues to drive our strategic decisions with the goal of improving the overall experience for the people who use the NJ Transit system each day,” said NJ Transit Executive Director James Weinstein. “We remain committed to actively monitoring our customers’ feedback so that we can respond to meet their needs.”

Read More: Source

That is so much BS.  I guess they didn't take into account the opinions of South Jersey riders [especially me] who think NJT service is PURE GARBAGE.  I guess that this survey is well skewed in order for management to pat themselves on the back.

Those surveys are either fixed or don't include Route 9 pax... probably takes too much time off their hands for them to take one anyway.

We're all sick of Transit out in these parts... $324 a month for buses ($15 one way) never on time anymore, crowded, and now with this Designline crap that's thankfully going out the door uncomfortable and cramped. I remember the days when every few minutes during rush hour anywhere from 2-3 139s would pull in at once (bunching was actually good in these parts since all the buses went SRO by/at Old Bridge), now you're lucky if you get 1 not SRO within 5-10. Bustime should improve it though, but of course Designline delayed that for us.

Are there that many curtailed runs or has service been reduced? S.Jersey service is a joke though, they have 2+ hour gaps on some evenings after 7pm on NY bound buses from Toms River. There should be one an hour at least if not more often, they keep getting more crowded too. For what ppl are paying down there they deserve better since they bore the brunt of the last fare increase.

Obviously 139 needs more runs and the 137/319 express should run 24/7 hourly at least. On Saturday night if you miss the 7pm our of TR you have to wait till 9:20pm, that's F'ed up right there.

139 has more than enough runs. Route 9 is fine, what really needs better service to NY is the Route 35/36 corridor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's academy's service buddy take it up with them.

Are there that many curtailed runs or has service been reduced? S.Jersey service is a joke though, they have 2+ hour gaps on some evenings after 7pm on NY bound buses from Toms River. There should be one an hour at least if not more often, they keep getting more crowded too. For what ppl are paying down there they deserve better since they bore the brunt of the last fare increase.

Obviously 139 needs more runs and the 137/319 express should run 24/7 hourly at least. On Saturday night if you miss the 7pm our of TR you have to wait till 9:20pm, that's F'ed up right there.

Combined 137/319 levels?

Yeah about that, I'd rather NJT take over Academy services over there. I think they'd run it better especially on Route 35. I'm not a big fan of these private services to tell you the truth.  

Come back and get a reality check not happening anytime soon. Get real. However the shuttles to nowhere can be absorbed into NJT lines

transitkid. the rail run along parallel to 35 and 36. i prefer rail over buses. why? rail you can get more chance of seat then buses. also rail is cheaper then buses. 20 years ago it used to be the other way around.  buses run horrible especially on weekend. which would you rather choose? rail that run frequent on weekdays and every hour on weekend or buses that run run every hour with seating capacity up to 45 passengers and weekend every two hours? rail is best choice along rt 35 and 36.

two notes, 

1--one time i was on rush hour to nyc and certain buses had to bypass few stops that have passengers waiting for the bus because the bus is either full or have to save some seat at the hazlet depot and cheesequale rest area. 

2- one time i was coming home from the city and it was summer rush hour and the bus was full before i was able to board. the driver ask if anyone wish to stand in aisle and i did stand in aisle but actually i was sitting on a bag on the floor. it legal to do that but not good practice. 

transitkid. the rail run along parallel to 35 and 36. i prefer rail over buses. why? rail you can get more chance of seat then buses. also rail is cheaper then buses. 20 years ago it used to be the other way around.  buses run horrible especially on weekend. which would you rather choose? rail that run frequent on weekdays and every hour on weekend or buses that run run every hour with seating capacity up to 45 passengers and weekend every two hours? rail is best choice along rt 35 and 36.

two notes, 

1--one time i was on rush hour to nyc and certain buses had to bypass few stops that have passengers waiting for the bus because the bus is either full or have to save some seat at the hazlet depot and cheesequale rest area. 

2- one time i was coming home from the city and it was summer rush hour and the bus was full before i was able to board. the driver ask if anyone wish to stand in aisle and i did stand in aisle but actually i was sitting on a bag on the floor. it legal to do that but not good practice. 

Your right but he won't get it yet? Exposed again I see. You have a point.

The immediate thing that came to mind upon reading the thread title was, whatever NJT riders these are, can't include anyone in central or south jersey...

I'm guessing the amt of ppl. that resulted in that high a percentage are those that take some route to PABT (meaning, the commuters) from somewhere in north jersey (12_'s, 15_'s, 16_'s, 17_'s)....

That's the conclusion I'm coming to......

@pjbr40 and @qjtransit________

• If you live in Port Monmouth, Union Beach, Keansburg, or Belford, you have to drive across town to get the train.
  • The train makes stops in almost every town from those areas to Manhattan.
  • You have to pay to park at the train station.
  • Academy sucks. Have you seen their fares? You'd better driving all the way to Route 9, and taking the 139. <_< 

Why NJT should just do bus service there instead:

• The bus will serve that area only then go to directly to NYC. No stops at other towns.
  • If Academy buses are so crowded then there should be another bus route down there. Not just Academy.
  • NJT will operate better bus service on the weekends. Mind you I'm aiming for a ROUTE 9 type service here.  
  • Who said anything about them going on Route 35?
  • The train doesn't cost less. It's $15 from Middletown or Red Bank. Academy cost $17 from some locations. NJT would probably charge you no more than $14 one-way.

Let's get some feedback from someone else please.

Probably irrelevant to the thread, but IAWT(ransitkid's)P....

• If you live in Port Monmouth, Union Beach, Keansburg, or Belford, you have to drive across town to get the train.
  • Academy sucks. Have you seen their fares? You'd better driving all the way to Route 9, and taking the 139. <_<

• The bus will serve that area only then go to directly to NYC. No stops at other towns.
  • If Academy buses are so crowded then there should be another bus route down there. Not just Academy.
  • NJT will operate better bus service on the weekends. Mind you I'm aiming for a ROUTE 9 type service here.  
  • The train doesn't cost less. It's $15 from Middletown or Red Bank. Academy cost $17 from some locations. NJT would probably charge you no more than $14 one-way.

Can't tell if this is being said in jest, but I wonder how many folks actually/literally drive to the 139 from the east (coming from that part of central jersey in question)..... The train being in vicinity doesn't mean that better bus service isn't warranted (Perth Amboy & how the 116 is utilized to/from Perth Amboy alone is a good example)..... We all know the advantages the train has over a bus, but there seems to be this notion that buses shouldn't exist where rail service is present just because.... rail service is present....

Yeah about that, I'd rather NJT take over Academy services over there. I think they'd run it better especially on Route 35. I'm not a big fan of these private services to tell you the truth.  

Neither am I....

Probably irrelevant to the thread, but IAWT(ransitkid's)P....

Can't tell if this is being said in jest, but I wonder how many folks actually/literally drive to the 139 from the east (coming from that part of central jersey in question)..... The train being in vicinity doesn't mean that better bus service isn't warranted (Perth Amboy & how the 116 is utilized to/from Perth Amboy alone is a good example)..... We all know the advantages the train has over a bus, but there seems to be this notion that buses shouldn't exist where rail service is present just because.... rail service is present....

Neither am I....

Nope beacause bus service does exist called academy however what he is aiming for is intrastate routes if you read up on your NJT history you would know those type of routes will FAIL remember 330& 61? Ect and many others? Also if academy is so bad offer $$ to actually upgrade service. Academy is only getting buses from NJT with zero financial assistance. Plus the fares are not that much higher than NJT anyway. FYI rail passes work on 139 at no extra charge and unlike bus passes let you even explore the state at your leisure. 

The 116 structure and 2 the NJCL is NJT's worst line the only one that sucks more is the Atlantic city line.

please stop 139 buses are also crushed. Plus unlike the other dude I didn't say rail was better for NY bound service. Have you been there those areas after a certain time barely see cars!!! However remember academy gets no $$ to support these services from NJT just buses they pay for everything else if NJT offers a small subsidy service would drastically improve overnight. Have you seen NJT'S service area vs everyone else? However rail vs bus by the zone # is basically the same cost monthly wise besides rail is geared towards intrastate travel more so than to NYC.

That's a stupid question. I live in those areas.

And stop making Academy out to be the holy grail of NJ's commuter bus system. They steal money out of my (and every other NJ resident's) paychecks to use for their own financial gain.

And wasn't it you who told me that NJT funds them? Now you're going back on your word huh? That's what I thought.

So if the NJCL sucks so bad and Academy isn't funded well, how are those people gonna get to NY? Walk there? Crowd up the roads more? Call up iron man so he fly them there?

No just have NJT do all the bus service down there. NJT can use the Leonardo garage.

How bout instead of guessing what people down here want, you board an Academy bus headed for Route 36 and talk to some of them. Ask them if they'd prefer NJT on Route 36 instead.

Oh and pjbr, the reason Academy is crowded is because they use nothing but D4000s and they're the only bus service heading to NYC from that general area and most of their clientele are people who don't wanna be bothered with the train.

Archived