Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

Lol @ someone having to actually explain it's not the BxMC4.... and I thought I was too literal.....

C4 as in the explosives. Basically they may as well 'blow up' the line. At least that's what I remember the joke about that line.

You were the author of the joke :lol:

Exactly. As long as Westchester pays for it and it turns a profit, no reason to cut it. Why would they cut a route that actually makes money?

To use the money that would have been allocated for the C4, into other routes.....

If the route was relatively cheap to run (compared to the rest of BL's routes), then I could see your point.... Or, if the C4 was the only route in the system.... lol...

That's what I said...

You were the one that brought up the 4c cuts to illustrate the point of Westchester not wanting to fund its routes.....

"Well explain to me how they can cut the BxM4C when it supposedly performs well... They only have one measley express bus route and they can't even service it without dumping their responsibility onto the city.  Seems pretty cheap to me."

^^ Was what you said to me, after I questioned your original assertion.....

What I didn't understand with that retort (in bold) is, How can you compare the performing well of today's 4c, to the 4c before the cuts happened?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol @ someone having to actually explain it's not the BxMC4.... and I thought I was too literal.....

You were the one that brought up the 4c cuts to illustrate the point of Westchester not wanting to fund its routes.....

"Well explain to me how they can cut the BxM4C when it supposedly performs well... They only have one measley express bus route and they can't even service it without dumping their responsibility onto the city.  Seems pretty cheap to me."

^^ Was what you said to me, after I questioned your original assertion.....

What I didn't understand with that retort (in bold) is, How can you compare the performing well of today's 4c, to the 4c before the cuts happened?

Correct, but I'm still baffled about this whole C4 nonsense... I don't recall ever calling it anything but the BxM4C unless you're referring to someone else... As for your other comment, I didn't know that I was.  All I said was that how could they cut a route that supposedly performs well (in general terms).  The cut was really referring to the cutback of the route from Downtown and not necessarily cuts in service frequencies.  Usually when one truncates a route it's because they're trying to kill it.  That was my point more than anything.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Correct, but I'm still baffled about this whole C4 nonsense... I don't recall ever calling it anything but the BxM4C unless you're referring to someone else... As for your other comment, I didn't know that I was.  All I said was that how could they cut a route that supposedly performs well (in general terms).  The cut was really referring to the cutback of the route from Downtown and not necessarily cuts in service frequencies.  Usually when one truncates a route is because they're trying to kill it.  That was my point more than anything.

It's a pun.

A C4 is an explosive, or like a ticking time bomb. GC is calling it the BxM4C the BxMC4, as in Bee-Line might as well blow up and destroy the line.

Honestly, the C4 would be more funny if we were talking about C40LFs and how their tanks were on the verge of expiring.

So we can all agree the 4C as is, does the job, right? If you're Westchester DOT, you have no incentive to cut the line as it serves your county (or at least an incredibly loyal patronage) and turns a profit.

Back to Bronx route proposals...anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

Edited by Culver

It's a pun.

A C4 is an explosive, or like a ticking time bomb. GC is calling it the BxM4C the BxMC4, as in Bee-Line might as well blow up and destroy the line.

Honestly, the C4 would be more funny if we were talking about C40LFs and how their tanks were on the verge of expiring.

Yeah that part is clear... It just wasn't clear who supposedly said it because it sure wasn't me and I wanted to be sure that I wasn't being misquoted.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Correct, but I'm still baffled about this whole C4 nonsense... I don't recall ever calling it anything but the BxM4C unless you're referring to someone else...

As for your other comment, I didn't know that I was.  All I said was that how could they cut a route that supposedly performs well (in general terms).  The cut was really referring to the cutback of the route from Downtown and not necessarily cuts in service frequencies.  Usually when one truncates a route it's because they're trying to kill it.  That was my point more than anything.

1) Wait, so that's what this is about?

Alright.... YOU didn't say the "C4".... I said the "C4"....

Didn't think it was that big a deal, but since it is - My fault for inserting the "C4" pun in your quote.

I didn't think it would drastically change the focal point of the route that was being discussed, but apparently I was wrong.....

2) The other comment.... yeah, you were... Lol.....

I'll summarize the events to make life easier:

- You made the case that you don't support city buses going into Westchester, due to the fact that the more the city gives westchester, the more westchester will take on our dime...

- QJT brought up the fact that westchester has bee line....

- to QJT's comment, you mentioned westchester not wanting to fund beeline...

- to your comment, checkmate questioned it, saying bee line funds their system & using the comparison of it not being Nassau county...

- to checkmate's comment, I co-signed it... basically saying I don't understand why you feel that westchester doesn't want to fund bee line (either)....

*You're ignoring checkmate, I get that.... So you appealed/replied to me instead of him.... No problem.*

- to my comment, You asked me to explain how westchester can cut the C4 4C when it supposedly performs well.....

- to your comment/question, I answered with w/ the (rhetorical) question of, performs well to who.....

Originally, I didn't want to be petty enough to bring up the fact that you said "performs" (meaning present tense) instead of "performed" (meaning past tense), so I let it slide..... I also didn't wanna be petty & say that you're only pulling on one route to make the claim that apparently westchester doesn't want to fund bee line? I mean, I'm not on here to be anal like that...... You answered my question, by using the 4c as an example.... fine....

Anyway, Then I come back & see this discussion turning into not getting the BxMC4 pun, etc......

To sum it up, I just didn't understand where you were coming from with westchester not wanting to fund bee line, that's all.....

But now that you explained yourself....

.....Back to Bronx route proposals...anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

Well QJT brought up the Bx40/42.... Anyone can feel free to discuss that in depth if they like....

I'm not gonna waste too many keystrokes w/ that one b/c it's a discussion I've had before on the transit forums a few times already, and I don't think it's all that interesting a discussion..... aye', it's either you put the LTD on the 40 or the 42; don't wanna get into the moot argument of putting LTD's on either route over the other....

Personally, I don't think QJT had his Bx40 LTD idea going to throgs neck pj's before I mentioned it, but that's neither here nor there.....

Literally, Everything he said in [post #488] I'm not taking seriously at all & is not worthy of a direct reponse to the content within it....

Now if someone wants to bring up a bronx proposal worthy of a discussion, I'd be more than willing to indulge in discussing it.....

Edited by B35 via Church

1) So that's what this is about?

YOU didn't say the "C4".... I said the "C4"....

Didn't think it was that big a deal, but since it is - My fault for inserting the "C4" pun in your quote.

I didn't think it would drastically change the focal point of the route that was being discussed, but apparently I was wrong.....

2) The other comment, yeh, you were... Lol..... I'll summarize the events:

- You made the case that you don't support city buses going into Westchester, due to the fact that the more the city gives westchester, the more westchester will take on our dime...

- to your comment, checkmate questioned it, saying bee line funds their system & using the comparison of it not being Nassau county...

- to checkmate's comment, I co-signed it... basically saying I don't understand why you feel that westchester doesn't want to fund bee line (either)....

- You're ignoring checkmate, I get that.... So you replied to me instead of him.... No problem.

to my comment, You asked me to explain how westchester can cut the C4 4C when it supposedly performs well.....

- to your comment/question, I answered with w/ the (rhetorical) question of, performs well to who.....

Originally, I didn't want to be petty enough to bring up the fact that you said "performs" (meaning present tense) instead of "performed" (meaning past tense), so I let it slide..... I also didn't wanna be petty & say that you're only pulling on one route to make the claim that apparently westchester doesn't want to fund bee line? I mean, I'm not on here to be anal like that...... You answered my question, by using the 4c as an example.... fine....

Anyway, Then I come back & see this discussion turning into not getting the BxMC4 pun, etc......

To sum it up, I just didn't understand where you were coming from with westchester not wanting to fund bee line, that's all.....

Right... You see that's the exact point that I'm making.... Why would they be such tight wads with one measley express bus route that supposedly performs well?? And I used the present tense because it was my understanding that it still performs well, but if I'm wrong about that then I stand corrected.  If you ask me it flies in the face of everything that they supposedly do so well and seems rather contradictory.

1) Wait, so that's what this is about?

Alright.... YOU didn't say the "C4".... I said the "C4"....

2) The other comment.... yeah, you were... Lol.....

I'll summarize the events to make life easier:

*You're ignoring checkmate, I get that.... So you appealed/replied to me instead of him.... No problem.*

- to my comment, You asked me to explain how westchester can cut the C4 4C when it supposedly performs well.....

Well QJT brought up the Bx40/42.... Anyone can feel free to discuss that in depth if they like....

I'm not gonna waste too many keystrokes w/ that one b/c it's a discussion I've had before on the transit forums a few times already, and I don't think it's all that interesting a discussion..... aye', it's either you put the LTD on the 40 or the 42; don't wanna get into the moot argument of putting LTD's on either route over the other....

Personally, I don't think QJT had his Bx40 going to throgs neck pj's before I mentioned it, but that's neither here nor there.....

Literally, Everything he said in [post #488] I'm not taking seriously at all & is not worthy of a direct reponse to the content within it....

Now if someone wants to bring up a worthwhile bronx proposal, I'd be more than willing to indulge in discussing it.....

That was an interborough proposal linking queens/nassau(indirectly to the bronx) Many people travel via the clearview and from nassau and queens Eastern to the bronx why deny them a direct bus line that is as fast as driving in a sense and is cheaper than tolls?  You don't take it seriously since you don't understand it's purpose.

That was an interborough proposal linking queens/nassau(indirectly to the bronx) Many people travel via the clearview and from nassau and queens Eastern to the bronx why deny them a direct bus line that is as fast as driving in a sense and is cheaper than tolls?  You don't take it seriously since you don't understand it's purpose.

I don't take it seriously because it sounds nothing short of asinine. Point Blank.

Right... You see that's the exact point that I'm making.... Why would they be such tight wads with one measley express bus route that supposedly performs well?? And I used the present tense because it was my understanding that it still performs well, but if I'm wrong about that then I stand corrected.  If you ask me it flies in the face of everything that they supposedly do so well and seems rather contradictory.

Although I still don't agree w/ the assertion that bee line doesn't want to fund it's system, Now your use of the word "performs" (in that original post) makes much more sense..... But yeah, Bxm4c's wasn't near as utilized per trip back then, as they are now....

Going back to point about the lwr. manhattan service, I would like to know (this isn't posed at you, but a general question) - Of the ppl that did abandon taking the 4c (back when it was 5.50 & had more than the 2 trips each way going to lwr. manhattan) after the fare hike & the consolidating of trips, how many of these ppl resorted to taking BL-20's to the (4) & riding 4's to lwr. manhattan; wall st, bowling green, etc..... Because I have noticed (what would resemble) working class professionals waiting over there @ Bedford Park Blvd (4) & Woodlawn (4) for the BL-20/21....

....and QJT, don't interject by bringing up the Metro-North because I aint asking about that !

Edited by B35 via Church

I don't take it seriously because it sounds nothing short of asinine. Point Blank.

Although I still don't agree w/ the assertion that bee line doesn't want to fund it's system, Now your use of the word "performs" (in that original post) makes much more sense..... But yeah, Bxm4c's wasn't near as utilized per trip back then, as they are now....

Going back to point about the lwr. manhattan service, I would like to know (this isn't posed at you, but a general question) - Of the ppl that did abandon taking the 4c (back when it was 5.50 & had more than the 2 trips each way going to lwr. manhattan) after the fare hike & the consolidating of trips, how many of these ppl resorted to taking BL-20's to the (4) & riding 4's to lwr. manhattan; wall st, bowling green, etc.....

....and QJT, don't interject by bringing up the Metro-North because I'm not asking about !

I won't asinine hilarious now if you had a reason other than that I would be able to work around that. You never gave it any thought or looked at other lines nearby or at the lines at each stop. There is more to it than that do you need me to translate it?

I won't asinine hilarious now if you had a reason other than that I would be able to work around that. You never gave it any thought or looked at other lines nearby or at the lines at each stop. There is more to it than that do you need me to translate it?

Sure, go 'head, but you'd be wasting your time...

I don't want to hear about the clearview & travel to/from nassau when we're talking about the bronx in here.

It's BxM4C, and this is the way I understand why it's BxM4C:

Liberty Lines Transit still runs the Bee-Line, and ran for the NYCDOT as Liberty Lines Express. It not only ran the BxM1, BxM2, BxM3, BxM11, and BxM18, but it also ran the BxM4A and the BxM4B. In all, LL ran the three BxM4 buses. 

In summary, LLT ran the BxM4C for Westchester, and LLE ran the BxM4A and BxM4C for NYCDOT.

There was also a BxM4D as well

Sure, go 'head, but you'd be wasting your time...

I don't want to hear about the clearview & travel to/from nassau when we're talking about the bronx in here.

It is to reduce travel time between nassau and parts of queens to the bronx. A support route will be added. It will eliminate the need for NICE N20/21 riders to put up with the Q50. One in elmont or areas served by NICE's queens to nassau routes like N6/22/24 have a quick connection to the bronx. Those fed up with the cross island can use this route which can be faster to link to NICE lines and NICE's LTD stop routes with one added stop to em.  Also it eliminates the incentive for shortline and trailways to even serve queens village as this route will take people to a new bronx stop. Shortline can get rid of the quueens village stop then add one at pelham bay park (6) then use a faster route to LI via LIE skipping queens village and getting to mineola or work sites quicker. To be honest it's more a regional proposal than a bronx one.

B35, lol I forgot how long ago I made that joke. But I'll take credit for it an am glad you like it :)

It's a pun.

Exactly, it's just a pun on the name. There's no need for some folks to read too much into it. 

lol, nah, if a C40lf can survive the incompetence of a tow truck driver and getting t-boned by a van (some months ago in Brooklyn), I think they are just fine ;)

Edited by Grand Concourse

• 2 weeks later...

http://goo.gl/maps/tzB4s

Not much of a Bronx person, but while surveying the area this Bx25 intends to cover, I'm baffled why there isn't a route in this area. It creates a gap in crosstown travel in this area, and you have subway stations along 183rd Street that also could use bus coverage. The only issue I see with this route is the width of the streets in the area.

Was that MTA or Bee-Line?

Bee-Line IIRC...

Yeah, it was Bee-Line. I have an old map, and it started up in Sleepy Hollow, and I forget the routing it took from there (I made a thread, but I don't feel like looking for it)

Not much of a Bronx person, but while surveying the area this Bx25 intends to cover, I'm baffled why there isn't a route in this area. It creates a gap in crosstown travel in this area, and you have subway stations along 183rd Street that also could use bus coverage. The only issue I see with this route is the width of the streets in the area.

Makes sense. Maybe you could extend it to the River Park Towers with the Bx40/42. (The Bx40/42 would probably still be more popular, but the Bx25 would connect to the (D), albeit at a local stop)

Yeah, it was Bee-Line. I have an old map, and it started up in Sleepy Hollow, and I forget the routing it took from there (I made a thread, but I don't feel like looking for it)

Makes sense. Maybe you could extend it to the River Park Towers with the Bx40/42. (The Bx40/42 would probably still be more popular, but the Bx25 would connect to the (D), albeit at a local stop)

I didn't actually think of that, I was thinking of ways to make the route more useful, and at one point I had sent it all the way to Parkchester.

While I agree, it probably wouldn't draw Bx40/42 riders, it gives the residents there a better connection to the northern reaches of the Bronx.

Edited by Threxx

Wow, Sleepy Hollow. I've been there just once, and it seemed so far away. I didn't think it Sleepy Hollow was that close to have Manhattan bus service.

Well, White Plains isn't exactly close by either (seriously, it's far as hell), but the BxM4C exists. And the BxM4D was same thing but west.

I didn't actually think of that, I was thinking of ways to make the route more useful, and at one point I had sent it all the way to Parkchester.

While I agree, it probably wouldn't draw Bx40/42 riders, it gives the residents there a better connection to the northern reaches of the Bronx.

I have mixed feelings about this....

I get what you're trying to do, but knowing that part of the bronx, you aren't gonna get too much usage on a route like that if it doesn't serve Fordham plaza... You aren't gonna get ppl. to walk from 187th (if that's the logic); people would still take the Bx9 from West farms....

Guess I'll help you out a bit.....

In that area, you would have to make your route more conducive to taking, over Bx9's..... Also, the routing b/w webster & GC, forget about that.... You can still get away with turning buses on webster to have buses go 187th > webster > fordham > GC > 183rd....

I don't understand your turnaround scenario down in west farms either.... All you really have to do is the reverse of what the Q44 does; meaning having your buses go boston rd > 180th > devoe > E tremont, to stand..... That area along tremont just short of the subway station is a popular waiting area for buses..... If ppl. wanna walk from 180th/boston to the subway, that's their prerogative, but your route would still serve the subway..... It's little things like that, that can make all the difference.....

A 183rd street route is a plausible idea; don't have a problem with that....

Western part of the route, I wouldn't put buses on that part of Sedgwick; it's used as an alternative to the Deegan b/w burnside & fordham in a lot of cases.... That, and you aint serving much of anyone running buses behind the college.... You can still have buses serve River park towers while keeping buses on university, to burnside....

You're right by not having such a route serve Parkchester; they would simply continue making their way to 40's/42's/22's....

But by ending buses in west farms, I think you could go about trying to take enough ppl off Bx9's "if done right"....

Edited by B35 via Church

Wow, Sleepy Hollow. I've been there just once, and it seemed so far away. I didn't think it Sleepy Hollow was that close to have Manhattan bus service.

It isn't people just use metro-north.

http://goo.gl/maps/Qcre8

The new map, edited to reflect the suggested changes.

send it to GWB for interstate connections.