R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
now do you believe me!?

please dont take the following personally. it based on fact. you have stated that you have seen the 188s with alstom propulsion. fanrailer stated that it may be installed next year. so honestly whats there to believe? its current NOT installed. "i have heard and have seen" in bold letters. your words.

please dont take the following personally. it based on fact. you have stated that you have seen the 188s with alstom propulsion. fanrailer stated that it may be installed next year. so honestly whats there to believe? its current NOT installed. "i have heard and have seen" in bold letters. your words.

I think that you should also read the rest of the post.

Fan Railer has a point. This argument is pointless. Leave it at this. If they don't have Alstom, I apologize to everyone. If they do have Alstom, whoever went off on me for posting it (for instance Far Rock Depot, mark1447 and a LOT of others), they apologize to me. It is a train car with the same purpose as all the others.

Edited by trainguy97

Now is the time to get as many photos as you can of the R142A (6) and R62A (7) before the car swaps start happening towards the end of this year. While the (6) is likely to have some R142As left, probably about 5 since the (6) needs more trains than the (7), the (7) line is not gunna be the same.

Its the same thing with the M2s on the New Haven line, nows the time to save up and go out to the stops east of Stamford and actually ride em, not just to Fordham or 125 Street.

I will miss the rfw view heading to Queens and the few all singles train with a view of Midtown. But I wonder if they will keep the singles as is on the (6) or arrange them into 5-car sets and convert the ends to have full width cabs..

probably theyll keep em as singles but just give em the full width cabs every 5th train like they did with the single sets on the (1)

I dunno, that is unless you mean cars ending with the numbers 1,5,6,0. I still think they should be grouped into 5 consecutively numbered sets. But then if there's 10 years left, that's probably not gonna happen.

I cant see the MTA at this point converting them into proper 5 car sets, that costs money and the MTA is trying to do what they can to save money.

More pics.......

005.jpg

0082.jpg

0092.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018-1.jpg

Was on track next to them today, it was nice out, so I went in and got pics of interior. New passenger seats also, as they have a blue plastic covering, as they put on new seats. They will take protective covering off.....

man, i loved to see the r142's and the r188's, but i don't love to see the

r62a's retire on the (7). what i would love to see is the r36wf going back on the (7). because it will be the 50th anniversity for the r11,r32, r33wf, and r36wf, and redbirds.:P(NYCT) old styles,

(7)'s the best

I cant see the MTA at this point converting them into proper 5 car sets, that costs money and the MTA is trying to do what they can to save money.

Technically linking them into sets can save money since parts like operating from every car can be removed as well as the rollsigns at the ends of the middle cars. The ML doesn't really need to run single units like the (7) does. But of course it could be best to leave things as is, especially if the TS (S) still remains in the 3,4,3 car trains as opposed to rennovating the TS end to allow them to run 5-car trains.

Technically linking them into sets can save money since parts like operating from every car can be removed as well as the rollsigns at the ends of the middle cars. The ML doesn't really need to run single units like the (7) does. But of course it could be best to leave things as is, especially if the TS (S) still remains in the 3,4,3 car trains as opposed to rennovating the TS end to allow them to run 5-car trains.

but is the MTA willing to spend the cost upfront to join the remaining single units?

As for the (S), I doubt they can extend the station at Times Square, that whole area seems like stuck the way it is, closing the (S) during the daytime for such a major project will make the (7) completely overloaded. Those Shuttle trains are full even on Sunday when I do most of my railfanning. I can imagine they must be like sardine cans during rush hour.

but is the MTA willing to spend the cost upfront to join the remaining single units?

As for the (S), I doubt they can extend the station at Times Square, that whole area seems like stuck the way it is, closing the (S) during the daytime for such a major project will make the (7) completely overloaded. Those Shuttle trains are full even on Sunday when I do most of my railfanning. I can imagine they must be like sardine cans during rush hour.

As I said, probably not, just something I would've liked done.

I forgot what phase it was, but it was planned to renovate the platforms. But I think rather than to straiten out the current platforms, they will build new ones (in the tunnels) right before the curve. It would also make it easier to get to track 3 than to have to go around track 1. Not sure if it includes work for track 4, but if tracks 1 and 3 can hold 10 cars, then track 4 is not needed. imo.