R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The R39 was a proposed subway car for the Myrtle Av El. Unforentely, the Myrtle Av El was demolished, so the order was cancelled.

And the Third Ave. el also. (And since that lasted six years longer, they could have well built some of them, but just scuttled the whole idea).

I don't understand this. If the R39 was to be built in IRT dimensions, how would it have run on the Myrtle line? Wouldn't the gap have been too big? And wasn't the Myrtle line already modified for modern BMT dimensions?

I always wondered about that too, and was not sure how it would have worked. Perhaps "skirts" like the el cars they would have replaced?

The R68s are indeed the B-Division R62s. Both fleets were ordered roughly around the same time. Both have a lot of similarities inside and out (especially interior-wise). There is no A-Division equivalent of the R32s, which is unfortunate (had the R39 contract been put out to order, there would have been). Perhaps the A-Division fleet in the 70s and early 80s would have looked less shabby than if there was.

The redbird car classes (Mainly the R33ML/WF as was already mentioned) are the A div equivalent of the R32s, minus being stainless steel.

When I first rode the 32s reguarly back in 01 or so one thing that struck me was how slimar they was to the redbirds, just that they was sliver lol.

Edited by trainfan22

But now all cars have a/c, so that should be enough. Besides the R62As are going to be around for another 12~ years. If they can put up with that, then it'll mean newer trains over refurbished ones that the (7) is getting. It's a fair deal. I mean it could be worse, the R62As on the (1) aren't in the best of shapes interior wise with scratched up seats.

That's why it was an example.....wiseguy.

This is just Level 2 of the game called CBTC. Queens Boulevard being Level 3 and the first Boss. Yes I said it.

Edited by LTA1992

So when will these cars start being swapped? and when will CBTC be ready for the (7)?

I ride the (6) line on a nearly everyday basis and I have a strong NTT bias so I won;t try to share any opinions here.

CBTC is supposed to be finished on the (7) line in 2016.

EDIT: whoops, I didn't see that MTA Bus already answered you.

Edited by TheSubwayStation

That's why it was an example.....wiseguy.

This is just Level 2 of the game called CBTC. Queens Boulevard being Level 3 and the first Boss. Yes I said it.

But your example doesn't address this rumor about residents and politicians being against riding the older r62As on the (4) / (6) lines. Ideally having a working a/c should be good enough. Edited by Grand Concourse

The latest from the rumor mill is that in preparation for these fleet-swaps, ALL of the R62A's systemwide are going to be converted into half-cab units, in order to improve flexibility with making up sets when they start mixing 5 car units with singles. This is great news for the foamers, but terrible news for the crews. And it's already underway, as there were at least two sets on the 7 today which were all half-cab units, despite being 5 car linked sets (yes, a RFW at both ends, and the C/R jumping from car to car, just like in B-Div.....).

All I can say is that they need to get these R188's on the road ASAP!

For real?

They should make them more readily convertible, so RTO crews could do it, and not have to wait on Car Equipment. I see that the opposite top wall panel swings out, but then the seats have to be moved, and what was the little window covered over, and then the bottom wall piece (not sure if that swings out or not).

The latest from the rumor mill is that in preparation for these fleet-swaps, ALL of the R62A's systemwide are going to be converted into half-cab units, in order to improve flexibility with making up sets when they start mixing 5 car units with singles. This is great news for the foamers, but terrible news for the crews. And it's already underway, as there were at least two sets on the 7 today which were all half-cab units, despite being 5 car linked sets (yes, a RFW at both ends, and the C/R jumping from car to car, just like in B-Div.....).

All I can say is that they need to get these R188's on the road ASAP!

Why dosen't the C/R just go to the half cab at the other end of the car???

Takes too long and cannot be done if train is crowded. These days I am tall enough to see through the little window on the R62/62A cab door and look out the front, so in the interest of working conditions I prefer that the cars all have transverse cabs anyway. I can tell going from cab to cab is annoying and there is obviously less space for crews.

For real?

They should make them more readily convertible, so RTO crews could do it, and not have to wait on Car Equipment.

RIIIIIGHT.....and where do you expect RTO to keep the two extra seats? Main St's crew room is tight enough as it is!

I expect I may have to start making some "ladies and gentlemen in car 1651 and 2001, if you do not move out of the way and let the conductor through, this train won't be going anywhere" ..... and then learn how to say that in korean too.

Edited by Snowblock

LOL that sounds counter-productive. I would have thought the smart thing to do would be to link the singles up into 5 car sets and install full width cabs on the end cars of the sets. (Obviously not all at once, but as the R188's start to roll in and displace the R62A singles from the (7). ) But of course, this is the (MTA) -> making transit annoying lol, so anything can and will happen....

While I have been for the idea of linked 5 car sets, I don't understand why they would need to fold in some of the cabs of the original 5-car units. If anything when it comes time for the swap, the singles should be the last to go. Also if they are finally linking singles into a single unit, how is that any different from if a train has 6 singles? MTA fail... I do hope those cabs are folded back when they are sent over to the (6).

Also the point about having the single car accessible (ie: can't isolate the car because of the full width cab) is just nonsense. Isn't it already a fine-able offense to cross b/w cars anytime other than an emergency? Put the single car in the middle of the train and have the c/r open the cab doors when there's an emergency. (1) riders had to cross via the cab when the SF loop station was still opened.

Edited by Grand Concourse

The idea is that if every car is a halfcab, it won't matter if they do 5+1+5, 5+6, 5+5+1 or all single sets. Despite being illegal to walk through, they still don't want mid-set traverse cabs that aren't being used, plus every seat counts on that line.

Whether 240 follows suit remains to be seen, but apparently that is the plan.....I will ask around when I am over there this weekend.

RIIIIIGHT.....and where do you expect RTO to keep the two extra seats? Main St's crew room is tight enough as it is!

That's what I acknowledged in the next sentence. Maybe have them fold up and swing to the other wall or something, but I don't know if that would have fit, though.