R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some logistical issues that might prevent the move from happening until as late as August. As of yesterday the first order of R188s 7811-7821 where testing on Y3 track up at Baychester. 7216 was spotted still sitting in UP Yard. Couldn't verify if 7211 was there on the other end or if it's up at Kawasaki.

No it wasn't in E180 barn nor does it really have any business being in there. Without being attached to the other set. Nor would it be at 207th. The contract calls for Kawasaki to do the conversion work so if something was seriously wrong already in that aspect those cars would have to go back to Kawasaki or Kawasaki would have to look it over at it's nearest on site location which is Weschester Yard. No Kawasaki cars are maintained at E180 barn or 239 barn. Only Bombardier.

There are some logistical issues that might prevent the move from happening until as late as August. As of yesterday the first order of R188s 7811-7821 where testing on Y3 track up at Baychester. 7216 was spotted still sitting in UP Yard. Couldn't verify if 7211 was there on the other end or if it's up at Kawasaki.

I saw it at the East 180th Yard today

No it wasn't in E180 barn nor does it really have any business being in there. Without being attached to the other set. Nor would it be at 207th. The contract calls for Kawasaki to do the conversion work so if something was seriously wrong already in that aspect those cars would have to go back to Kawasaki or Kawasaki would have to look it over at it's nearest on site location which is Weschester Yard. No Kawasaki cars are maintained at E180 barn or 239 barn. Only Bombardier.

I saw 7822 at the East 180th Street Yard.

I was able to verify and discover a few things. All axles on the A cars are powered, while the trucks at the number two end of the B and C cars are unpowered with the trucks at the number one end of those cars powered. It is also interesting to note that the inboard axles of the unpowered trucks on the C cars lack friction brake units.

The rest of the videos from that day can be seen here: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/40997-irt-action-on-may-6th-2013-with-r188-testing-and-detailed-observations/

The compressors on those cars sound EXACTLY like the ones on the R68/A's... 

I realized something about the R188's starting service in May, its very unlikely they will start service in May. They still have to train the crews to operate those cars, and I doubt they'll train then while in service. I see them starting earliest in June.

7223-7224-7225 Spotted at 239 coupled to a work train diesel. May have been coming back from a conversion but that was very difficult to verify. The truck work was new. So maybe coming back.

So it begins eh.... did you happen to see a car numbered 7900 by any chance?

EDIT: It probably came back; it was reported missing for around a month now.

Edited by mtattrain

• 2 weeks later...

But the first train is supposed to ARRIVE in the next couple months. Then begin revenue service May 13th as stated by Snowblock. Plenty of time to get out the kinks before 30-Day in service testing which would technically begin on that first revenue run. What happens AFTERWARD can be anything since anything can happen to cause the train to be pulled out of service for a bit.

Well? Have you been riding that first train of R188's in revenue service for the past week? Or, as I suggested back in October, was May 13, 2013 merely a target date?

The R188 testing period is not ending anytime soon, maybe wanted to make sure that the train may run smoothly with no problems making another lemon-like situtation similar to the R46 and ready for CBTC in 2016

Everyone (if you have the time) go to the Dyre Ave. Line and check if the testing is on-going or getting ready for the move towards the Flushing Line.

Edited by Woodside7878

The R188 testing period is not ending anytime soon, maybe wanted to make sure that the train may run smoothly with no problems making another lemon-like situtation similar to the R46 and ready for CBTC in 2016

Everyone (if you have the time) go to the Dyre Ave. Line and check if the testing is on-going or getting ready for the move towards the Flushing Line.

I suspect that the primary reason that the testing process is taking longer than anticipated is that the testing schedule did not anticipate the Rockaway test track being washed out in a hurricane.

I rode the (5) up the Dyre Ave line today. No R188s were being tested.

Well? Have you been riding that first train of R188's in revenue service for the past week? Or, as I suggested back in October, was May 13, 2013 merely a target date?

Did you really just take time out of your day to quote and comment on something from OCTOBER 2012 that has obviously changed since then? 

SMH