R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I saw today there are at least 2 more sets of R62As at Westchester Yard apart from the ones that were already there until now. Also, the R62A that was used for one round trip during the afternoon rush until now was used in at least 2 trips today.

He's right there is another set on the (6) the cars are 1721-25 and 1731-35 both in service right now i think...

Forgive me, I haven't been keeping up with these changes. What's going to be the final deal with this plan? The (6) will be completely back to R62's once the 188's are finished? And who decided to put in all the CBTC equipment on the (7) before the Lex Ave lines--seems like the Lex line could use it more. 

Forgive me, I haven't been keeping up with these changes. What's going to be the final deal with this plan? The (6) will be completely back to R62's once the 188's are finished? And who decided to put in all the CBTC equipment on the (7) before the Lex Ave lines--seems like the Lex line could use it more.

'

The (7), much like the (L), is an isolated line that doesn't share tracks with another line so its perfect for it...at least until they perfected CBTC

Do they have a railfan view?

No all R62As that get swapped back to the (6) will be full width cabs on both sides.  Westchesters main request was before they accept the R62As again it has to be full width cab on both sides so that the crew can have more space. When R62A 2141-2145 returns (the set that had the rfw) it will as well be full width cab, 

The final deal is the (7) will be all R188 (380 converted R142As with cbtc coming from the (6) and 126 factory made cars ) The (6) will be back to mostly R62As and the remaning 50 or 60 R142As will be the minority of the fleet kinda like the redbirds in the 90s if you wanna think about it like that.

Edited by R62AR33

No all R62As that get swapped back to the (6) will be full width cabs on both sides. Westchesters main request was before they accept the R62As again it has to be full width cab on both sides so that the crew can have more space. When R62A 2141-2145 returns (the set that had the rfw) it will as well be full width cab,

The final deal is the (7) will be all R188 (380 converted R142As with cbtc coming from the (6) and 126 factory made cars ) The (6) will be back to mostly R62As and the remaning 50 or 60 R142As will be the minority of the fleet kinda like the redbirds in the 90s if you wanna think about it like that.

I heard different, and the (4) is loosing its R142As to the (6) and the (4) may receive the R62As as well

No all R62As that get swapped back to the (6) will be full width cabs on both sides.  Westchesters main request was before they accept the R62As again it has to be full width cab on both sides so that the crew can have more space. When R62A 2141-2145 returns (the set that had the rfw) it will as well be full width cab, 

Thanks! When will CBTC be operating on the (7)?

No it's not about space. It's about avoiding putting the yard master through more work. Avoiding incidents of trains going out down the road with a half cab for a C/R position. It's never about making things comfortable for the crew.

Leaving the half cab would mean that it would always have to be the T/O position. Never a C/R position. It would be a lot of work for the YTD to keep up with what equipment was cut and what was reattached.

I heard different, and the (4) is loosing its R142As to the (6) and the (4) may receive the R62As as well

That must be recent news cause the word from the higher-ups in charge of the Lex has always been R62As on the 6 only. Could have changed though, I've haven't talked to my contacts in a while. 

I heard that plan got dropped and they decided to keep the R62As on the (6) cause its easier for westchester to just have to maintain the R62A and R142As. Plus the R62As can handle the local service better than the R142As but well have to see what happens. If you notice westchesters fleet have seen better days because those R142As on the (6) are beat up the (4) lines R142As are in much better shape. I hope Westchester takes very good care of the R62As. 

Edited by R62AR33