R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

The flashing greens were definitely alive for the morning rush on the 7 today.  Though I'm not sure if that or the snow started to mess things up.  One <7> run was skipped while the run I took felt a bit slower going through the switches after Willets Point and around 74 Street.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something is definitely going on with the CBTC signals around Main Street and Willets Point.  Second morning rush in a row with trains running slower than normal through the area.  It's as if the signaling system can't handle all the switch moves that go on in this area at this time.

7 hours ago, 7-express said:

Something is definitely going on with the CBTC signals around Main Street and Willets Point.  Second morning rush in a row with trains running slower than normal through the area.  It's as if the signaling system can't handle all the switch moves that go on in this area at this time.

Almost as if that justifies for an extension for the (7) train either to College Point or Northern Blvd

On 4/1/2018 at 4:23 PM, Lawrence St said:

The last R142A that was on the (6) is now on the (4) and all the remaining R62A's have been sent to the (6), (7) is now fully NTT.

20 hours ago, VIP said:

So 7596-7610 isn’t on the (6) anymore...

No, it's not. It's still at Westchester as a (6)

Edited by Calvin

On 4/1/2018 at 12:17 AM, Snowblock said:

No joke. the (7) line is now operating in CBTC ATPM mode 24/7 between Main St and Woodside-61, and in WSP from Woodside to 34-Hudson Yards. No exceptions will be made except in a CBTC zone controller failure, which means that ONLY CBTC-equipped trains can operate there during normal service, and only CBTC-qualified train operators may work the line. The last sets of R62A's were transferred to Westchester Yard last night.

ATPM? WSP?

8 hours ago, Snowblock said:

Automatic Train Protection Mode. Wayside Signal Protection.

That 142A on the (6) is undergoing 30 day testing before Mosholu will accept it.

How come?  Was that set beat up that badly, is something else being tested, or both?

Automatic Train Protection Mode might take some getting use to for some T/Os if I'm not mistaken. I was on an R188 with a decent view of the train operator's CBTC console screen through the cab door window and I saw how the T/O was trying to really cope with the functions of the current speed and permissible speed as we passed several blinking signals btw Mets-Willets and 61st-Woodside.

Afterwards, when the train went to Wayside Signal Protection (WSP) mode after 61st the ride seemed fairly regular.

Yes those last 15 cars were OOS for a good 6 months. One of them was even being scrapped for spare parts. Mosholu wouldn't accept them when they took the other units, not that they could even make the trip without being horsed. I haven't worked Westchester or the (6) in quite a while so I'm not sure what the current story is with them except they appear to have them running and are now making sure that they're in good shape before getting transferred.

I've been operating the (7) in ATPM for a couple weeks now and it's no problem for me.....those who spent their whole career working the 62As might need some adjustment. I know some just chose to flee the line rather than Can't Believe This Crap.

Edited by Snowblock

1 hour ago, Snowblock said:

Yes those last 15 cars were OOS for a good 6 months. One of them was even being scrapped for spare parts. Mosholu wouldn't accept them when they took the other units, not that they could even make the trip without being horsed. I haven't worked Westchester or the (6) in quite a while so I'm not sure what the current story is with them except they appear to have them running and are now making sure that they're in good shape before getting transferred.

I've been operating the (7) in ATPM for a couple weeks now and it's no problem for me.....those who spent their whole career working the 62As might need some adjustment. I know some just chose to flee the line rather than Can't Believe This Crap.

Is there a timeline in place for full ATO?

So, If I read this correctly, when 7596-7610 was still at Westchester (they were OOS for the winter season), Mosholu wouldn't take those cars? Also, I heard 7661-5 is still at 207 St Shop. 

----

Also, just realized that 2456-2475 was there at Westchester so, it'll be fully R62As. If the 2200s-2400s were all at 240 St, then there would be a few 142As left over for the (6).  

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

So, If I read this correctly, when 7596-7610 was still at Westchester (they were OOS for the winter season), Mosholu wouldn't take those cars? Also, I heard 7661-5 is still at 207 St Shop. 

----

Also, just realized that 2456-2475 was there at Westchester so, it'll be fully R62As. If the 2200s-2400s were all at 240 St, then there would be a few 142As left over for the (6).  

The remaining R62As currently at Corona would cover up service in the event that those 240 St sets go back to the (1).

Edited by jon2305