R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7200s-7500s have an insert car in the 7900s. The 7800s for the most part are 11-car consecutive sets (or at least they used to be before now being broken up into individual 5 and 6 car sets). I just hope they don't accidentally run a 12-car train by accident. Imo, they should have made them all new trains in sets of 10 numerically with the 11th car a different number so trains will still be 10 cars and an 'insert'. Easier to remember things when the car set ends in:1,5,6,0. As for c cars, they are next to the a cars. All the inserts are c cars, but some of the b cars of the r142as were converted to c cars iirc.

Edited by Grand Concourse

They are, which is why I am so confused to as how people have gotten the idea that 7883 is a C car. 7883 is a B car and it is in a factory set. C car inserts start at 7899. 7899 is the only 7800 C Car. The rest are 7900 and above. 7883 is a B car within 7882-7887, which is a factory built set. 7886 is the C car in that set.

EDIT: Not all C cars are factory built. All conversion cars ending in 2, for example: 7212, have been converted to C cars.

Edited by Tech And Transit

The B cars are the newer modeled R188. 7811-7821 which is the first set that started service in 2013 is a B car. A C car are the inserts with the converted sets. Basically, 7899 a C car is inserted with 7216-7220 a former R142A now R188 conversion set. This should NOT be hard to figure out by now.

The original R142A consist went like this: A-B-B-B-A. A cars are the cab cars and B cars are the non cab cars. When the R188s were ordered, a car with a tachometer was required to measure distance for CBTC. They converted every car ending in 2 to a C car, and with the lack of an 11th car needed for the (7) line, they added an additional C car (the factory built one) to the other end of the consist.

The R188 consist is now A-C-B-B-A for the 5 car set and A-B-B-B-C-A for the 6 car sets. 

A cars are the cab cars

B cars are basically the same as R142A cars with one powered truck and one unpowered truck (I believe)

C cars (both converted and new) have trailer trucks with no brakes or propulsion so the tachometer can correctly measure distance (once again, I believe this is what the C car is for, other than adding an extra car. I could be wrong about specs.) 

The original R142A consist went like this: A-B-B-B-A. A cars are the cab cars and B cars are the non cab cars. When the R188s were ordered, a car with a tachometer was required to measure distance for CBTC. They converted every car ending in 2 to a C car, and with the lack of an 11th car needed for the (7) line, they added an additional C car (the factory built one) to the other end of the consist.

The R188 consist is now A-C-B-B-A for the 5 car set and A-B-B-B-C-A for the 6 car sets.

A cars are the cab cars

B cars are basically the same as R142A cars with one powered truck and one unpowered truck (I believe)

C cars (both converted and new) have trailer trucks with no brakes or propulsion so the tachometer can correctly measure distance (once again, I believe this is what the C car is for, other than adding an extra car. I could be wrong about specs.)

Sounds very accurate to me. Its not rocket science.

Last I checked, all cars have motors due to the steep grade in the Steinway tubes.

A cars (cab cars) have motors on both trucks

B (and I think C as well) cars have motors on the #1 end trucks only.

Yeah, I thought I would be wrong about the C car specs. C cars have motors from hearing weird propulsion on 7909.

From what I saw yes. I think it was 2346-50 that has it. Dont have no clue why they did that.

seems like they're marking their trains, to avoid confusion when they get shopped. My guess is now all the 22xx and 23xx and 2156-2160 are NOT returning to the (1)

seems like they're marking their trains, to avoid confusion when they get shopped. My guess is now all the 22xx and 23xx and 2156-2160 are NOT returning to the (1)

Then that wouldn't make ANY sense. I understand making up for service but talk about disorganized.

R188's have started displaying SDS Visual Tests. 7889's display was displaying the test today and has been since yesterday. Previously, that display was blank.

Wow, R188's have the SDS Visual Test displays like the R142A's. Its programed through the computer to display that on whatever car is picked.

Wow, R188's have the SDS Visual Test displays like the R142A's. Its programed through the computer to display that on whatever car is picked.

I mean, why wouldn't it? The R188 is nothing but a newer R142A.

All of the NTT cars have it, though differently on the B division cars