R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

Yea but the R179 issue is a different scenario than anything of the A division. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the R62/As go a long time as well, to me it seems everything coming in new like the NTTs all look the same and boring. I grew up riding the R62As so there one of if not my favorite subway fleets.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does anyone actually know how these strip maps works?

If you take if off the dots are right next to each other with almost no space in between the strip map just cover up the additional dots. If I'm correct there are 2 dots in between dot in use on the (6) and 3 dots in between the dots in use on the (7)

Remove the stripmaps, and its a strip of 64 lights built into the panel. Whatever train you sign it up as, a program knows which ones to illuminate when you throw a stripmap over it.

One best way to see it is when they use a (5) set running as a (2) train (or vice versa), and they don't turn off the stripmaps. You'll see lights that make it seem lime you're stopping in a tunnel, or making and express stop at illogical location.

You see, on a R143, if you take your phones flashlight and shine it above where it says "14 St Local" or "Carnarsie Local", you can see the little cut out in the map that says "ROUTE CHANGE".

If you do this on a R188 however, you can't see the cutout that says "ROUTE CHANGE" so they ethier made the strip map without the "ROUTE CHANGE" cutout or they took out that light completely on the R188's.

The way that their going with the conversions I wouldn't be surprised if the swap with the (6) and (7) is fully completed by December or January considering the fact that conversion wise there's no more 7400s on the (6).

Edited by R62AR33

You see, on a R143, if you take your phones flashlight and shine it above where it says "14 St Local" or "Carnarsie Local", you can see the little cut out in the map that says "ROUTE CHANGE".

If you do this on a R188 however, you can't see the cutout that says "ROUTE CHANGE" so they ethier made the strip map without the "ROUTE CHANGE" cutout or they took out that light completely on the R188's.

The light bank is probably still there, at least on the converts, even though there isn't a cut out on the cardboard line maps.

A little of topic here, but if my calculations are correct there's about 14 or 15 R62As left assigned to Corona. I'm wondering if or if anybody has an idea about some of the 19xx singles eventually being linked to 5 car sets. For example, R62A #1921 which was formally from 240th St yard has the red sticker on the roof which indicates what side gets converted to full width, will that set be re-linked in the future?

A little of topic here, but if my calculations are correct there's about 14 or 15 R62As left assigned to Corona. I'm wondering if or if anybody has an idea about some of the 19xx singles eventually being linked to 5 car sets. For example, R62A #1921 which was formally from 240th St yard has the red sticker on the roof which indicates what side gets converted to full width, will that set be re-linked in the future?

there can only be some sets able to be linked a 5-car set  (ex. 1901-1905, 1911-1915, 1916-1920, 1921-1925)

And, there's 11 sets of 62As on the (7) left over 

Edited by Calvin

there can only be some sets able to be linked a 5-car set  (ex. 1901-1905, 1911-1915, 1916-1920, 1921-1925)

And, there's 11 sets of 62As on the (7) left over 

Thanks Calvin, that's exactly what I imagined. R62A 1906-1910 could wind up on the Shuttle since theres no 1909 to make up for 5-car linking.

Edited by jon2305

The light bank is probably still there, at least on the converts, even though there isn't a cut out on the cardboard line maps.

They still on the converts, of course but the factory built sets probably don't have it. I know this for a fact because I know how to peek at the strip maps the factory sets DO NOT have them, the converts I couldn't see anything probably the MTA covered it. Its possible for an R188 to go on another line. Now my question is, does the computer run the same programs as the R142/A's or do they use the R160 type of programs for announcements, as you can hear Catherine saying "THE NEXT STOP IS" "THIS IS" like on the (G) or (V) , which are R160 programs.

Edited by Priincenene

You mean 14-15 sets not cars. And its 16 now because apparently a Westchester set that originally came from 240th Street made its way to the (7) a couple weeks ago due to a shortage apparently.  

You mean 14-15 sets not cars. And its 16 now because apparently a Westchester set that originally came from 240th Street made its way to the (7) a couple weeks ago due to a shortage apparently.

Yup we had a shortage of trains on the (7) line now a set from westchester went to Corona does anybody happen to know the set numbers for the train?

They still on the converts, of course but the factory built sets probably don't have it. I know this for a fact because I know how to peek at the strip maps the factory sets DO NOT have them, the converts I couldn't see anything probably the MTA covered it. Its possible for an R188 to go on another line. Now my question is, does the computer run the same programs as the R142/A's or do they use the R160 type of programs for announcements, as you can hear Catherine saying "THE NEXT STOP IS" "THIS IS" like on the (G) or (V) , which are R160 programs.

The trains have the same programs as the mainline IRT cars.