Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

57 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

The roster of cars changes day to day.  Some trains have inspections, some trains had incidents while in service that day (BIE, door trouble, anything that a car inspector writes a report about).

Is this the same for the R32 at ENY. Will they have to go back to 207 for inspection and maintenance or can ENY do that?

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, happy283 said:

Is this the same for the R32 at ENY. Will they have to go back to 207 for inspection and maintenance or can ENY do that?

When they did those summer swaps ENY usually maintained the 32s assigned to them. 

It's funny as I would see R32 and R42 pairs hooked up doing yard moves but they never ran an mixed R32/42 consist in service even though it happened pre GOH.

29 minutes ago, happy283 said:

We'll have to wait and see since the R32's have only been in use for a couple of days and sparingly at that.  Plus they all got inspected before they left 207th.

Technically they get inspected by mileage, but it generally turns out about once every 2 months.  In between inspections if they visit the barn they are called "Troubles".  Many times however, a car inspector can repair the car on the track it's laid up on in the yard.

19 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

They have over 94 cars, that's about 11 sets which 8 or 9 would be used out of 11.

What probably will happen come monday is that the (Z) will go full R32 which would require 6 sets and the (J) will go full R160 which would require 12 sets. An occasional R143 may also appear on the (J). Now the reason they probably transferred 11 sets was because the R32 are known to break down more often because of their age. Also, trains seem to get vandalised alot at ENY which would require a set be taken out of service and considering there already is a fleet shortage, they wanted to increase their spare factor and have extra trains ready to enter service in the event something breaks down.

9 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I forget how long conductor classroom training is but IIRC (from 40+ years ago LOL for me), I think it's only like for 2 weeks.  1 week in the classroom and 1 week in the yards with the various equipment.  And today most cars are very similar for conductors.  R32, vs. R46/68/68A vs. new tech.  When I was training we had R10's thrown into the mix.  In the IRT it's only R62/62A vs. new tech.

Third week you start breaking you in on the lines, I believe the c/r's do only 1 trip per line so they do at least 2 lines a day.  For example a trip on the M and R if they report to CTL.  A trip on the E and F with of course deadheading between 179 and Parsons.  Another day the J/L.  Probably 2 trips ( for an 8 hour day +) on the L and 1 trip on the J.  ETC.

A good trainer will talk non stop in between stations about the equipment, drum stuff into you, a bad one will be quiet just wanting the 2 hours for training.  Most conductors (and train operators) do not want students today because if the student messes up, it's on the trainer too!  When I was a c/r breaking in on the A line outta 207, my first trip was to Far Rock.  I had an R10!  My trainer fell asleep somewhere between 125 and 59 and woke up somewhere in Brooklyn.  But that was the old days!  I should have kept a daily diary and wrote a book after I retired!

I remember breaking in on the (3) line as a conductor. Two trips from Lenox to Flatbush where my trainer never stopped talking. When I told him that I had a bus/train pass since the 6th grade and had prior service as a RR Porter it became an extended chat about the system. Promotion to motors and my yard switching was done at Lenox. Back then it was a great family atmosphere and everyone was supportive. I was always a PM person but I knew everyone on the AM tour. When the time came for road motorman training I had known my trainer for a few years. He  said 9 car stops. That's all he said. He said he did that by habit but he remembered that I was a Lenox C/R and all of us had that drummed into our heads. By the time I got to 96th St my trainer was in the middle of the car in conversation with "someone " extremely good looking. I went down to Flatbush and was headed n/b when I got to Eastern Parkway and gave his conductor a long buzz because of a train with a mechanical problem at Grand Army Plaza. Conductors didn't have radios back then so I made the appropriate announcements. My trainer came up to me and told me that I did great work and returned to another lovely customer. When we got back to Lenox I thanked the trainer and he, his conductor and I laughed about that day for years. When I trained my people on the (5) I was a hands on type and school car would send them to me even though I was a PM person. When I broke in all training was done on the AM tour. Late in my career many people wouldn't take students for the reason you pointed out. I had a student T/O overrun the gap fillers at Union Square and it became an argument between school car and the RCC with me caught in the middle. School car and I won the argument that time because the Desk Supt. and the IRT General Supt backed us up. If I didn't know the "right " people I'd probably been written up or worse. It got so bad that some students who were assigned to AM tour jobs would still be waiting for a trainer at 2PM. I actually trained 2 students one day.  Times have changed since I was in RTO and I wonder how students are trained today.  My experience.  Carry on. 

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

There's in R32 in service on the (J) right now, just passed it at Essex St, should be at Marcy or Hewes street now

Yeah 2 ran yesterday until one was taken oos due to the plastic chain being snapped off. but today it's just one set.

There's no way to tell how many will be running on Monday.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the 32s will be treated like the 42s were when there was only 50 of them and ENY had all of their 160s. Vast majority run only during rush hour while a set or two runs off peak and weekends. 

I predicted the 32s would be used this way and so far it looks like I'm right lol😁

56 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

There's no way to tell how many will be running on Monday.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the 32s will be treated like the 42s were when there was only 50 of them and ENY had all of their 160s. Vast majority run only during rush hour while a set or two runs off peak and weekends. 

I predicted the 32s would be used this way and so far it looks like I'm right lol😁

They have 94 cars so they might run more than just 5 sets, We will see on monday how many in total they're gonna run.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:56 AM, MHV9218 said:

Saw the pic. They need a more solid chain / curtain divider like on the buses, asap.

Based on the sunlight in that pic, and the fact that railfans don't wake up before noon, I doubt that it was a fan who did that. 

Agreed. There really should be something like the tall plastic partitions being used on the local buses to block them off from passengers. I wasn’t surprised to see that flimsy yellow plastic chain get broken.

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

They have 94 cars so they might run more than just 5 sets, We will see on monday how many in total they're gonna run.

It really depends on how many R143s are available. On Thursday there were 3 on the(J) for am peak. If those three are still available they will need only 5 sets assuming 10 R160s are available but if inspections are due which are likely since they have been out almost every day along with the R143 before the R32 came back, that could lead to extra R32s running. But really only time will tell.

15 hours ago, happy283 said:

How many expected monday now that they are running off peak?

THIS IS FOR EVERYBODY, NOT ONLY FOR MR. HAPPY.

Don't celebrate just yet.  The only reason why you saw R32's in weekend J service is because the superintendent wants old trains laid up at 111 overnight.  Once the R42's were retired they had no choice but to lay up new techs overnight at 111, but now that R32's are back they can do it once again.

The problem is the schedule calls for those lay ups at 111 to be used on weekends, hence the reason why 2 R32's were in weekend J service, till one of them had the Social Distancing Chains broken.  Therefore the right thing to do (and hopefully that policy will be changed next weekend) is to make sure new techs are laid up at 111 on Friday night so only new techs can be in J service on weekends.

Just because you saw R32's in daytime J service on Saturday (or Friday with Saturday schedule) does or does not mean R32's will run all day Monday.  There is no way you can get an accurate answer now.  R32's run IN ACCORDANCE TO THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE.  Particular equipment is not planned in advance to run on a particular day (all day) unless a  memo or bulletin is issued.  The preferred equipment on the J/Z are new techs and R32's will be used only when necessary.

From what I can gather, and fellas don't use the term "tomorrow" or "yesterday" or even "today" because the set up is in "hours ago" for new posts, It seems like the day on Friday (Saturday schedule) started with 2 R32's on the J.  It looks like they had 1 R32 on the J on Saturday.  Sunday, the day I'm posting this, remains to be seen.  I'm sure somebody will be looking for one and let us know, even though this is not a time for rail fanning!

The aim and purpose of the R32's being reactivated exclusively for J/Z service is to run them for 1 trip on the AM (rush) and 1 trip on the PM (rush) in Z service only.  I have no doubt that management and supervision on the J line are working toward that goal.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

15 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

So is it likely that a r32 set will be running tomorrow on the (J)?

15 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

So it's likely that the r32 set will be running during the day time as well not just rush hours during the weekdays.

See my response above.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

5 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

The problem is the schedule calls for those lay ups at 111 to be used on weekends, hence the reason why 2 R32's were in weekend J service, till one of them had the Social Distancing Chains broken.  Therefore the right thing to do (and hopefully that policy will be changed next weekend) is to make sure new techs are laid up at 111 on Friday night so only new techs can be in J service on weekends.

Just because you saw R32's in daytime J service on Saturday (or Friday with Saturday schedule) does or does not mean R32's will run all day Monday.  There is no way you can get an accurate answer now.  R32's run IN ACCORDANCE TO THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE.  Particular equipment is not planned in advance to run on a particular day (all day) unless a  memo or bulletin is issued.  The preferred equipment on the J/Z are new techs and R32's will be used only when necessary.

The aim and purpose of the R32's being reactivated exclusively for J/Z service is to run them for 1 trip on the AM (rush) and 1 trip on the PM (rush) in Z service only.  I have no doubt that management and supervision on the J line are working toward that goal.

Then why are 3 out today?

29 minutes ago, happy283 said:

He just explained explained everything

They have a 11 trains worth of R32's, they'll probably use 7 out of those 11 which in turn could run rush hour only. The (J) also have a put in as well in the am and pm rush

The first (Z) will be a tech train as that runs all day as a (J) unless they really need a train.

37 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

He just explained explained everything

They have a 11 trains worth of R32's, they'll probably use 7 out of those 11 which in turn could run rush hour only. The (J) also have a put in as well in the am and pm rush

The first (Z) will be a tech train as that runs all day as a (J) unless they really need a train.

He said that 2 trains were relayed at 111 St one of which was taken out of service due to the chain. Now we have three. Can 111 St even relay 3 trains and why were NTTs relayed after friday to prevent the use of the R32 on the weekend? As far as peak service, if 5/6 (Z) trains will be R32, then which am (J) departures from Jamaica are put ins that could have R32.

1 hour ago, happy283 said:

↓↓↓

6 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

THIS IS FOR EVERYBODY, NOT ONLY FOR MR. HAPPY.

Just because you saw R32's in daytime J service on Saturday (or Friday with Saturday schedule) does or does not mean R32's will run all day Monday.  There is no way you can get an accurate answer now.  R32's run IN ACCORDANCE TO THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE.  

Good job ignoring the important parts and only reading what you want.