Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

They only fixed the HVAC units up and cleaned them out and replaced a few parts, the heat underground causes the HVAC units to overheat, both the R32's and R160's were overheating on the (C) last summer

Edited by R32 3838

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come the R160s on the (E) don't overheat and that is an underground route. What about the R46's on the (R) they don't have problems and that route is underground.

Because those cars are regularly rotated with the (E)(F) and (R) so they do get some time to breathe outside on occasion

The only posts I'm aware of asserting any sort of R160 overheating issue were written by none other than R32 3838 himself.

Pardon me it was Grand Concourse

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

The R160s are also having the same overheating issues as the R32s. So it isn't just an R32 issue, the issue is the C being totally underground and not swapping with the A (a mistake in the future having the C be all R179s as 8 car sets, imo).

To be blunt, at about the time it was determined by railfans on this board that the R160s on the C were failing due to overheating, it was determined by car equipment that they were performing well enough to merit doubling the amount of R160s on the C. 

The overheating timeframe is completely misunderstood by some people. If R160s could not run on the C, they could not run on the E or R either. (for that matter, part of the reason that the R32s were sent to the J because they overheated on the A!)

Edited by Art Vandelay

To be blunt, at about the time it was determined by railfans on this board that the R160s on the C were failing due to overheating, it was determined by car equipment that they were performing well enough to merit doubling the amount of R160s on the C.

The overheating timeframe is completely misunderstood by some people. If R160s could not run on the C, they could not run on the E or R either. (for that matter, part of the reason that the R32s were sent to the J because they overheated on the A!)

I thought the R32's were sent on the (J) because they are 8 cars like the (C) and 85% of the route is above ground.

I'm going to put this out there, a ta worker explained to me that some R160's had some issues, they got worked out and continued to run, one of the main reasons why they did do the (A)/© swap was because the HVAC units were failing on the (A) as well, to add on to that (A) riders from the Rockaways also complained about the older equipment being on the (A) that summer, these are the two main reasons why the R32's went to the (J)/(Z) instead

If they ever do this swap again, they're better off sending all 144 cars to ENY, last year those R32's were still overheating on the (C)

Those R160's get swapped around between the (E),(F) and (R) lines

to add on to that (A) riders from the Rockaways also complained about the older equipment being on the (A) that summer

That has nothing to do with why the R32s were sent to the (J) instead of the (A) last summer.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Kind of sucks that the last time the (A) and (C) got any new equipment was back in the 1970's when the R44s and R46s arrived. I wonder as many times as the MTA fixed up the R32's in its later years would all that money add up to the point where they could have replaced them already? I hear a lot of people as well as my friend use this logic when it comes to electronics and cars. The more money you spend fixing somethimg you could have already brought yourself a new one already. So could that logic also work in terms of ordering and replacing trains and buses?

Edited by NewFlyer 230

Kind of sucks that the last time the (A) and (C) got any new equipment was back in the 1970's when the R44s and R46s arrived. I wonder as many times as the MTA fixed up the R32's in its later years would all that money add up to the point where they could have replaced them already? I hear a lot of people as well as my friend use this logic when it comes to electronics and cars. The more money you spend fixing somethimg you could have already brought yourself a new one already. So could that logic also work in terms of ordering and replacing trains and buses?

Rolling stock purchases are one-and-done while SMS and overhauls are ongoing. In the long run, you might spend more doing the latter, but the (MTA) (unfortunately) only gets a certain amount of funding at a time. It's like the difference between buying and renting a house. After a while, you'll have spent more by renting, but there isn't the large up-front cost.

That has nothing to do with why the R32s were sent to the (J) instead of the (A) last summer.

I said one of the two reasons, we all know the main reason why they sent the R32's to the (J), the HVAC's still overheat if they were on the (A), that 2nd reason was probably the tipping of the iceberg

They're not putting R32's on the (A) no more

I said one of the two reasons, we all know the main reason why they sent the R32's to the (J), the HVAC's still overheat if they were on the (A), that 2nd reason was probably the tipping of the iceberg

They're not putting R32's on the (A) no more

Unless in an emergency

Unless in an emergency

I wonder why the R46s that the (R) uses doesn't overheat the (R) is completely underground and the (F) only sees about 2 or three sets normally. Well this was the case before the (R) line splitting. I remember sometimes the (F) ran no R46s at all.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

I wonder why the R46s that the (R) uses doesn't overheat the (R) is completely underground and the (F) only sees about 2 or three sets normally. Well this was the case before the (R) line splitting. I remember sometimes the (F) ran no R46s at all.

You're comparing a 30+ year old train to a 50+year old train. Apples to oranges. The R46s are 36-39 years old and the R32s are 49-50 years old.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

You're comparing a 30+ year old train to a 50+year old train. Apples to oranges. The R46s are 36-39 years old and the R32s are 49-50 years old.

That and the (F) is busier than the (R), so it needs the extra doors and standing room. Hopefully, nothing else will ever run as long as the R32s.