Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Oh yea if anyone is interested in knowing what happened to the R32s that were in fresh pond, 6 out of the 8 are gone, 3786/7 are the only pairs and its currently doing work service, 3379/1,3630/1 and 3836/7 are gone

Edited by R32 3838

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah they mistakenly put 3370/1 onto a train and ran it in service in the Winter time between last year in early 2013 as soon as they fount out, they took it off the road, 3370/1 was a tow train for transporting SMS cars back from CI and sending 207th R32's to get SMS'ed 

222 for service

12 for Work service

They're not doing the (A)&(C) no more, the ©/(J) swap is a even swap, the A/C swap requires more cars that means borrowing from Jamaica and ENY, plus the A didn't solve the AC issue it was basically the same, the J had less AC issues than the A

As for the R160A1 SMS its not complete, half the fleet still needs to be sms'ed-upgraded

If I am understanding this correctly, the R32s on the (A) were not doing as well when compared to the BMT Eastern Division as the underground tunnels are hot indeed, often reaching excesses of 110 degrees fahrenheit. The environment of the Nassau Street/Jamaica El is more promising as the ROW is mostly outdoors. As NYC Transit does finalize on this as a solution to the problem with the ongoing R160 SMS then it should work. As in the process it does not disrupt current R46 assignments on the IND 8th Ave line as an added benefit. So I would have to say by logic that the source of the news seems very sensible to me.

Edited by realizm

As understood, the R46s have one of the lowest MDBFs because of their age and that they run on three longer lines: (A)(F)(R). That's also why Pitkin's R46s are beaten more than Jamaica's, as the (A) is the longest than any other line in the system (Inwood to Far Rockaway) and also runs 24/7. The (F) usually has a small number of R46s and the (R) is a part-time line. But with the Montague tube closed, most of Jamaica's R46s end up running 24/7 as well, instead of part-time.

It was nice having those 222 50-year old cars on the system's longest line, but I have to understand the important factors of why the (J) is clearly the best solution for the R32s to breathe in the heated temperatures.

Since the Rockaway S is a full 600' for the beach crowds, why not put the R32s there? they need a c/r anyway and the line is very short. That said, I'm fine with the swap with the J. It makes more sense as the majority of the line is above ground and that's good for the R32s. Not to mention at least the view is better on the J than mostly tunnels with the A, till it gets to Queens.

Good questions and good points but wild guess: Because the SMEE's will have easier access to the yards for light maintainance at Pitkin or/and because of 207th street maintainance/overhaul shops?

Also what will replace the rolling stock on the IND 8th Ave if the R46's are going through its sms? Same as last year because the R160s I think are also being SMSed or at least finishing up the job? This will be interesting how they figure this out come this hot summer.

SMS is usually mostly eaten by spares. When the Pitkin R46s are going through SMS, you may see an R46 train from Jamaica show up, or an R32 train from 207 run on the A. When the Jamaica R46s are being SMSed you could see an R160 from CIYD come up to JAM or an R46 from Pitkin. Either way, not something which results in major changes. 

Seems like they just went through an SMS a few years ago. Good to see transit is taking care of the older rolling stock.

I agree, much appreciated. Keep the SMEEs and Space Age cars going until the new B Div NTT'S come on the scene. I take the R32 (C) every day almost if work or school, love the ride N/B Cranberry tunnel. Fast.

Man I just reak of foamer mentality....

Edited by realizm

I agree, much appreciated. Keep the SMEEs and Space Age cars going until the new B Div NTT'S come on the scene. I take the R32 (C) every day almost if work or school, love the ride N/B Cranberry tunnel. Fast.

Don't flatter yourself, I've seen much worse, elsewhere at that.

In regard to fanning that is.

I take the R32 (C) every day almost if work or school, love the ride N/B Cranberry tunnel. Fast.

The fastest was 45 MPH on fewer (C) trains I've been on, midway through the Cranberry tube. Some operators actually know how to clear the timers in the subway system. Most others just keep hauling until they brake near (or at) the timer clearing points.

Since the Rockaway S is a full 600' for the beach crowds, why not put the R32s there? they need a c/r anyway and the line is very short. That said, I'm fine with the swap with the J. It makes more sense as the majority of the line is above ground and that's good for the R32s. Not to mention at least the view is better on the J than mostly tunnels with the A, till it gets to Queens.

The Rock Park shuttle runs short trains on weekdays year-round - only on weekends do long trains typically run in the summer. And weekdays are when fleet size is a constraint.

Car assignments are not determined based on the view.

There is nothing foamerish about enjoying old cars, though some people would have you believe it to be.

It's simply having a differing opinion from others. :D

I give credit where its due to NTTs like my R188's I must have rode it I swear 20 times on day one and two combined. But man those R40 slants were the shit. Those cars did justice to the MTA after all initial bugs were worked out in the case of the slant end design which I love. Foam.

In the summer of 2011 they ran R32's on the shuttle that first weekend after the swap, the sides were signed up as (H) and the front was S, but after that weekend they ran nothing but R46's, the summer of 2012 it was gonna happen again but the dispatcher assigned that R32 on the (A), at least they ran on the (H) for a month post sandy

But I think it would have been smart to run R32's on the shuttle during the summer months instead of R46's, its only 4 stops and its outside