Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the summer of 2011 they ran R32's on the shuttle that first weekend after the swap, the sides were signed up as (H) and the front was S, but after that weekend they ran nothing but R46's, the summer of 2012 it was gonna happen again but the dispatcher assigned that R32 on the (A), at least they ran on the (H) for a month post sandy

But I think it would have been smart to run R32's on the shuttle during the summer months instead of R46's, its only 4 stops and its outside

I can understand the weekends in the summer but other than that, there's really no good reason to operate the R32s on the IND (S) shuttle. There's a reason why and I'm sure many of us here know it already. It has to do with OPTO. The R32s and R42s are the only cars in the system that can't provide OPTO anyway. Its fine that the R32s don't operate on any other line aside from the (C) and (J).

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Ooh some ones a little angry *Grrrr* :P

Haha, I agree. +1

Screechy, you're not Turbo, Realizm, Friday, or myself. Stop trying to copycat us. We're the only professional trolls around here. ;)B-)

Here here! I did earn that near month long "vacation", remember?

I was saying only during the summer months between memorial day and labor day on the shuttle, but them being on the (J) is very helpful and its a 8 for 8 swap and the (J) is 90% outdoors, the only issue is that they only sent a total of 80 or less cars while the (C) still had R32's, and the ones on the (C) were horrible in terms of HVAC issues while the (J) had very few hot cars, hopefully next year they'll send more than last year, only issue is that they don't need 144 cars, if that was the case then you'll see them on the (M) as well and the (J) / (Z) would be 90% R32's and 10% R42's 100% SMEE, but we'll wait and see what goes down this summer

Not for nothing, but your post is a bit contradictory. If the C had a lot of hot cars when it ran the A1s last summer, what would sending more over there do? Besides, wasn't last summer's swap a two-fold solution of upgrading the 160s out of East New York and giving the 32s some much-needed fresh air for the compressors? Unless the former is still going on next summer, wouldn't it make more sense to return to the 32/46 swap?

I was saying only during the summer months between memorial day and labor day on the shuttle, but them being on the (J) is very helpful and its a 8 for 8 swap and the (J) is 90% outdoors, the only issue is that they only sent a total of 80 or less cars while the (C) still had R32's, and the ones on the (C) were horrible in terms of HVAC issues while the (J) had very few hot cars, hopefully next year they'll send more than last year, only issue is that they don't need 144 cars, if that was the case then you'll see them on the (M) as well and the (J) / (Z) would be 90% R32's and 10% R42's 100% SMEE, but we'll wait and see what goes down this summer

Not for nothing, but your post is a bit contradictory. If the C had a lot of hot cars when it ran the A1s last summer, what would sending more over there do? Besides, wasn't last summer's swap a two-fold solution of upgrading the 160s out of East New York and giving the 32s some much-needed fresh air for the compressors? Unless the former is still going on next summer, wouldn't it make more sense to return to the 32/46 swap?

That's the thing, is the R160 SMS still going ? I was wondering as I was following this aspect of the discussion as we know that will affect the outcome of the swap come next year.

Edited by realizm

If I'm not mistaken, about 104 out of the 222 R32s ran on the (J) while the rest of its fleet were R42s and R160A-1s during 2013's summer, correct? I mean the (C) had about half R32s and half R160A-1s during the middle of July/August and early September in 2013 as well. That was what I saw from my prespective.

The only issue with this swap is that East New York has to deal with four car types than just two and 207th Street/Pitkin Avenue still can't even maintain any R160s. Even AndrewJC said months ago that this swap raises significant maintaince costs due to the aforementioned reasons. As for the (A), the only issue is that it is mostly underground (with all of its stations completely in Manhattan and Brooklyn) and more cars have to be added due to full-length 600 feet long units assigned to its local counterpart and shorten version rather than keeping it at 480 feet long units.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Not for nothing, but since when did swearing suddenly become an instant sign of anger? I, and many others, have sworn many times before when we were not even remotely pissed off.

And I engage in conversation spewing all types of profanity like it is going out of style. F***k, I'm practically the motherf**ker on here that brought it back from the abyss of constant censoring on here.

But I digress. The main thing I have to say is that we should all be respectful of others opinions, and if by chance it happens to be a troll or borderline one it's up to the bigger person to take it in stride and perhaps for elaboration on as to why.

And I engage in conversation spewing all types of profanity like it is going out of style. F***k, I'm practically the motherf****r on here that brought it back from the abyss of constant censoring on here.

But I digress. The main thing I have to say is that we should all be respectful of others opinions, and if by chance it happens to be a troll or borderline one it's up to the bigger person to take it in stride and perhaps for elaboration on as to why.

It's not the opinion I had an issue with, it's the fact that the poster in question chose to derail a discussion to share it. We have threads for that. It would be no more appropriate than finding a discussion on religious matters and proclaiming that I'm an atheist.

It's not the opinion I had an issue with, it's the fact that the poster in question chose to derail a discussion to share it. We have threads for that. It would be no more appropriate than finding a discussion on religious matters and proclaiming that I'm an atheist.

Derailed? No. Derailed would be akin to the discussion we're engaging in now. That's greater derailment, and each further post is no more beneficial to the last.

And on the subject of religion, I think it's perfectly fine to for atheists to engage in the discussion of theists on the given that it's relevant. I've done so many times before, and most thread starters appreciate some rational debating.

With all this said I just have to state I absolutely f**king despise prudes, killjoys who haven't the slight idea or concept of fun. It's one thing to be moral and what not, but don't be so damn imposing.

Out.

Ok all points have been made and well taken. I think its time to:

towel.jpg

F**k, didn't notice. Damn it, well I already typed my response out, so... yeah.