Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

I wonder why the R46s that the (R) uses doesn't overheat the (R) is completely underground and the (F) only sees about 2 or three sets normally. Well this was the case before the (R) line splitting. I remember sometimes the (F) ran no R46s at all.

They don't always stay on the (R)...they get rotated with the (F) (along with the 160s) so they all see some kind of air here and there

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They did less than a month ago...

I said unless in emergency, did you read my edited quote?, they ran it for one day because one R46 that was supposed to go uptown got stuck in Brooklyn

When the R46's got SMS in 2008-10 they put new HVAC units in them, the R32's still have HVAC units from 1988-90 in them

I said one of the two reasons, we all know the main reason why they sent the R32's to the (J), the HVAC's still overheat if they were on the (A), that 2nd reason was probably the tipping of the iceberg

They're not putting R32's on the (A) no more

If so that would be quite unfortunate as I would love to go on an R32 into the rockaways. (Possible fan trip with R32/R38/R40S/R40M/R42)

To many people to quote so I will just say what I have to say.

I know the R32s are 50 years old and I know the R46's are near 40 but the fact is they are still old

As far as the (F) and (R) before the Montague tunnel closing I don't remember seeing many R46's on the (F) anymore. All during the summer I took and before the new year I saw the (F) with like 1 or 2 sets sometimes not at all. The (R) and (C) are basically equivalent as far as how they run. They are both run completely underground, they are locals and their head ways are similar.

There was no way in the world those R46s swapped with the (F) when they were barely running on the (F) at the time.

Edited quote  hmmm....

when I wrote Unless in an emergency under my post, they'll run it if they need a train, but they're not going on the (A) unless its a real emergency, that time it ran it only ran until 4 pm, management doesn't want em on the (A), i thought they were going to put one train on the (A) since a set of R46's went to get SMS, but they loaned an R46 set from jamaica instead, eventhough theres enough R32's to run a set on the (A) without hurting the (C) when it comes to spares. its obvious the (J) will be using R32's every summer until most of the R32's are retired 

If so that would be quite unfortunate as I would love to go on an R32 into the rockaways. (Possible fan trip with R32/R38/R40S/R40M/R42)

fan trips have nothing to do with actual service, the (A) and (C) swap failed and it required more cars from 2 yards to full the void of the (A) line plus the R32's still had HVAC issues on the (A), thats why the (J)/(Z) was the next option, if all 144 cars go to ENY this summer, they'll have no choice but to run R32's on the (M) dispite the signage and they'll use the 4x4 instead of the 3x5 like on the (J) and (Z), because you already have R42's on the (J) and (Z) plus the (J) and (Z) will be 100% SMEE with leftover R32's on the (M) unless they have it a few R160's on the (J) and a few more R32's on the (M)

IMO they are gonna send all of them this summer, the R32's were terrible on the (C) when it came to its HVAC units, the (J) and (Z) very few issues

Edited by R32 3838

To many people to quote so I will just say what I have to say.

I know the R32s are 50 years old and I know the R46's are near 40 but the fact is they are still old

As far as the (F) and (R) before the Montague tunnel closing I don't remember seeing many R46's on the (F) anymore. All during the summer I took and before the new year I saw the (F) with like 1 or 2 sets sometimes not at all. The (R) and (C) are basically equivalent as far as how they run. They are both run completely underground, they are locals and their head ways are similar.

There was no way in the world those R46s swapped with the (F) when they were barely running on the (F) at the time.

R46's got an SMS in 2008-10, they got new HVAC units along with the R62/R68's when they got their SMS

AM rush hour the (J) / (Z) uses 14 trains of R160's thats 112 cars plus the 40 R42's and 8 R32 cars on the  (J)

if the TA decided to have the  (C) 100% r160's instead of 70% like last year the  (C) is going to need over 152-164 plus cars 144 for service and remaining for spares,eventough they'll be maintained at ENY like last year so if this were to happen the  (M) has to give up some cars as well, no way the  (L) is giving up its 32 R160's 

However, if the idea is to keep the 32s outside in the fresh air, it really wouldn't make sense to run them on the primarily underground M.

If they send all 144 cars to ENY then they'll have no choice, the (J)/(Z) uses 112 R160's if they did a swap, it has to be done evenly because of the (C) since it uses 144 cars for service, they'll have no choice but to take R160's off the (M), that's if they send all of the R32's and R160's

Edited by R32 3838

Only one fleet has trouble with overheating: The R32. If they were on the E/R they would not perform better than they do on the C as they would get outside even less regularly. Almost every C is stored outside overnight. Many E trains remain in service all night long and many of those which are layed up overnight end up stored underground til the next morning. Even if they ended up kept on the F, Carroll-179-Carroll is long enough for an R32 to overheat.  

How come the R42's don't run on the (M) anymore? Is it the same reason as the R32's the MTA wants them mostly outdoors? Yesterday I saw an 8 car set of R160s at Jamaica yard going into the yard building. So Jamaica maintains the M and I see M trains layed up in the yard over the weekend.

Only one fleet has trouble with overheating: The R32. If they were on the E/R they would not perform better than they do on the C as they would get outside even less regularly. Almost every C is stored outside overnight. Many E trains remain in service all night long and many of those which are layed up overnight end up stored underground til the next morning. Even if they ended up kept on the F, Carroll-179-Carroll is long enough for an R32 to overheat.

Not true, I've been on R46's and R62A's from the (1) that have HVAC issues, a lot of the R62A's on the (1) have had no A/C last year

How come the R42's don't run on the (M) anymore? Is it the same reason as the R32's the MTA wants them mostly outdoors? Yesterday I saw an 8 car set of R160s at Jamaica yard going into the yard building. So Jamaica maintains the M and I see M trains layed up in the yard over the weekend.

C/R positioning is the reason why they aren't on the (M), the R32's have C/R controls in both no. 1/2 cabs, the R42's only have it in the no.2 cab

Edited quote hmmm....

when I wrote Unless in an emergency under my post, they'll run it if they need a train, but they're not going on the (A) unless its a real emergency, that time it ran it only ran until 4 pm, management doesn't want em on the (A), i thought they were going to put one train on the (A) since a set of R46's went to get SMS, but they loaned an R46 set from jamaica instead, eventhough theres enough R32's to run a set on the (A) without hurting the (C) when it comes to spares. its obvious the (J) will be using R32's every summer until most of the R32's are retired

fan trips have nothing to do with actual service, the (A) and (C) swap failed and it required more cars from 2 yards to full the void of the (A) line plus the R32's still had HVAC issues on the (A), thats why the (J)/(Z) was the next option, if all 144 cars go to ENY this summer, they'll have no choice but to run R32's on the (M) dispite the signage and they'll use the 4x4 instead of the 3x5 like on the (J) and (Z), because you already have R42's on the (J) and (Z) plus the (J) and (Z) will be 100% SMEE with leftover R32's on the (M) unless they have it a few R160's on the (J) and a few more R32's on the (M)

IMO they are gonna send all of them this summer, the R32's were terrible on the (C) when it came to its HVAC units, the (J) and (Z) very few issues

I know I worded it in a wrong way I meant it would be unfortunate if it did not run on the A.

Using Tapatalk

Nothing hypothetical about it - does nobody remember the air conditioning woes on the E circa 2008?