Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Well I hear ya. Nothing wrong with having a little fun f**king off and sorts. Its all good.

Fun is one thing, but it's not so much about that, rather the responses and how heavy they are in regard to something that's relatively non serious. I'm not pissed off or anything, but shit.

Throw the rolling papers. I'm off to get a drink.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was saying only during the summer months between memorial day and labor day on the shuttle,

Yes, I know what you were saying. Weekday summer ridership does not generally require more than the usual 300 foot OPTO shuttle trains. How would you justify the use of the extra cars and conductors? Car assignments are not determined according to the desires of railfans.

None of the swaps resulted in cars being reassigned between maintenance shops. Before, during and after the swap was complete, ENY(R32, R42, R143, R160) Pitkin(R46) and 207 (R32) each maintained the same fleets of cars. 

I've never said that the swaps resulted in the cars being reassigned between the shops. I only pointed out the two issues with the R32 swap to the (A) and (J), respectively.

Also, since you've mention, then why were the ENY R160s sent back and fourth due to 207th/Pitkin's inability to maintain the fleet? And why were the R32s that ran on the (J) were maintain at ENY during the time?

It had nothing to do with the inability of Pitkin/207 to maintain the fleet.  Because of the a/c design of the R32 fleet, since they only had so much room under the car body to convert from fans to a/c, the  a/c system would overheat since the cars were constantly underground on the C.  And putting them on the A for the short time they were above ground didn't matter. So they put half the R32's on the J/Z to see how better they would do.  Despite the swap of equipment, when the cars came due for inspection, the R32's were transferred back to 207 and the R160's were transferred back to ENY.  The cars were not maintained in "foreign" barns. 

It had nothing to do with the inability of Pitkin/207 to maintain the fleet.  Because of the a/c design of the R32 fleet, since they only had so much room under the car body to convert from fans to a/c, the  a/c system would overheat since the cars were constantly underground on the C.  And putting them on the A for the short time they were above ground didn't matter. So they put half the R32's on the J/Z to see how better they would do.  Despite the swap of equipment, when the cars came due for inspection, the R32's were transferred back to 207 and the R160's were transferred back to ENY.  The cars were not maintained in "foreign" barns. 

Wasn't another contributor to the issue the more frequent opening of the doors (and associated loss of cold air) on a local run? If it was, then I could see this being an argument for why the R32s were put on the A.

Edited by Dj Hammers

With all those R32's on the A many times an R32 was out there on the midnight hours...........A train all local stops to/from Far Rock...........this meant very frequent opening of doors too since the A was not express during those hours.

That is a good point. However, wouldn't the fact that it is cooler at night negate that effect? Or do the tunnels retain heat well enough that they stay hot overnight?

Apparently someone caught an R32 G (6 cars) head car was 3440, there's a picture of it, also apparently an 8 car R42 is at CIY as well, also when I was at ditmas ave I heard a train that sounded like an R32 when I was on street level, I didn't think it would be an R32

Edited by R32 3838

Which is why we started to hear of railfans spotting and proving R68 (N) consists running on the BMT. It's like we are all connecting the dots here to paint a scenerio. In other news the R188's are running again....

And the pic, crosslinked from another thread:

This is not my pic, Copyright to Emil, Im just sharing this pic to see if any one knows why this is on the (G) Today

1535043_560704410683185_1241531288_n.jpg

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/43732-r32-g-today/

Why would they be running on the (G)?

Likely because it seems as if they'll throw anything on it at this time.

As I was joking with someone earlier, they might as well throw a set of 127's or 134's on the for the trouble. Probably be better irnically as it's all standees.

Likely because it seems as if they'll throw anything on it at this time.

As I was joking with someone earlier, they might as well throw a set of 127's or 134's on the for the trouble. Probably be better irnically as it's all standees.

And they have no windows. The R32 are still making their rounds around the system. I never expected the R32's to ever be on any line except the (A)(C)(J)(Z).

And they have no windows. The R32 are still making their rounds around the system. I never expected the R32's to ever be on any line except the (A)(C)(J)(Z).

About that, there's insider info as t what happened on the 25th, but the actual source wishes it remains confidential.

At any rate the garbage trains would actually make greater sense truthfully, which should be a sign as to how far fetched this whole idea actually is, if anything else at all.

About that, there's insider info as t what happened on the 25th, but the actual source wishes it remains confidential.

At any rate the garbage trains would actually make greater sense truthfully, which should be a sign as to how far fetched this whole idea actually is, if anything else at all.

Why is it confidential to what actually happened?