A train heads uptown on a downtown track — but good visibility prevents tragedy

nightmare402

They are very lucky no one got hurt in all of this.

The question is why didn't they at least send the train to Chambers (either platform) and EITHER have it go to the (E) tracks OR have it use the pocket track and terminate on the uptown track if they wanted to stay on the (A) platform.   Either of those options, and especially have it end on the (E) tracks at WTC and turn there would have made more sense.

Why would they originate/terminate it from Chambers? The relay track is between that station and Canal. It would take slight longer. It already drop out at Canal anyway, so it can relay south of the station and the T/O heads to the other end of the car and go back into service at Canal N/B. Much simpler.

Also, can't have those trains terminate at WTC obviously because it would be much easier to keep the (A) in the middle the entire way than to cross it over for literary no reason.

Sped read through the thread, (Alot of posts to read, if I missed something let me know, haven't been here in 2 days so a bit out of the loop here).

What will be the outcome of that T/O who wrong rails? The T/D who also have to take the blame I'm assuming What about the T/D?  The C/R? He no clue that the malfunction on the switches are you serious?!  lineup on the wrong damn track! mean its stupid already as it is with all the points made so the T/O would know that she was on the wrong track forget shining headlights? Yeah signals wouldn't trip if reverse railing  but common, one would notice that they are on the wrong side of the line. Idiots could have killed someone! Sorry dont care this T/O and the dispatcher are fools! One does not simple make mistakes like that. Glad I wasnt on the train and usually I use the A and C alot.

Good visibility prevented the accident. Right she saw the headlights but seriously there must be other circumstances that will tell a person is on the wrong side of the tracks.

These passengers oh boy.... pull the emergency brakes not hard.... 

The operator is on desk duty but really she needs to go, GTFO of the MTA. The T/O could have caused a head on collision. Sorry T/D you fool, you would have known something was wrong even before the line up on the wrong damn track was made. 

Outraged? Bet your ass I am! I mean wow...

From article: 

"Before it pins all blame on the train operator, the MTA has to answer these questions: Are the crews’ radios inferior to an earlier model, as some workers have claimed? Was that part of the problem here?"

Thats a load of crap! She should had used here head and know she was on the wrong rails! Fool... 

See as some veteran T/Os has said, out of schoolcar some of these operators have no clue how to do their jobs CORRECTLY and are fired. 

#inB4armchairT/Ojokes. Common sense. Not hearing it, that was incrediblty stupid that the T/O, C/R and T/D screwed up. Thats exactly what happened with Robert Ray resulting in dead bodies!! They should have known! 

Yes, her actions were stupid, as were the conductor's apparent lack of action. However, let's not make this out like she was speeding up the tracks Pelham 123 style. Until I get information that states otherwise, I'm still under the impression she believed the switch was behind the train (north of Canal St) and was travelling at a slow enough speed to take that switch, which wouldn't cause the deadly collision some people here are imagining.

I'll tell you guys what, RCC is certainly doing a few more enroute radio checks than usual. Many times transmissions are tough to hear clearly, you have to sort of train your ear. Not that it has to do anything with this incident but there are stretches of track all over transit where transmissions may come in rather clear or not but are incredibly tough to hear because of the sheer amount of noise coming into your cab as the train rolls through those rails. One stretch that comes to mind right away is 168st to 157st north  and southbound on the 1 train, noisy as hell even with earplugs on.

Which car the female conductor that ran (A) line went to track 2 .. I mean which old school car was she driving the train... Is it R32... That it not her fault.. The R32 is way too old .. Anything can happening driving R32.. The R32 retirement did came.. Or was it R46.. Off topic. if it was R46 .. That car must of got derailment , somehow went track 2 on downtown track.. That R46 if she drove  should go OOS ( out of service )..

Someone did say R32 could turn bit to dust like there old , no longer capable to run for service due to the age.. If R32 ever get derailment saying.

Which car the female conductor that ran (A) line went to track 2 .. I mean which old school car was she driving the train... Is it R32... That it not her fault.. The R32 is way too old .. Anything can happening driving R32.. The R32 retirement did came.. Or was it R46.. Off topic. if it was R46 .. That car must of got derailment , somehow went track 2 on downtown track.. That R46 if she drove  should go OOS ( out of service )..

Someone did say R32 could turn bit to dust like there old , no longer capable to run for service due to the age.. If R32 ever get derailment saying.

¿Qué estás tratando de decir?

I'll tell you guys what, RCC is certainly doing a few more enroute radio checks than usual. Many times transmissions are tough to hear clearly, you have to sort of train your ear. Not that it has to do anything with this incident but there are stretches of track all over transit where transmissions may come in rather clear or not but are incredibly tough to hear because of the sheer amount of noise coming into your cab as the train rolls through those rails. One stretch that comes to mind right away is 168st to 157st north  and southbound on the 1 train, noisy as hell even with earplugs on.

That's one of the noisiest in the system, I agree. But that's recent, from what I remember -- before those new rails and work changes that used to be a fairly normal spot back in the day.

Fine thanks RTO personnel for relaying me something new, no sarcasm in that. Doesnt escape the fact that the T/D and the T/O screwed up! What there was an accident? Head on collision? I'm with VG8 one of those rare incidences. Hes right. Its negligence. I mean cmon we are making excuses for that? Look not talking as a railfanner, as a pissed off commuter. Fanning today however well thats another story...

Yeah she proceeded slowly when she saw the headlights. So? She shouldnt been on the opposite track in the first damn place I mean how stupid can you be?! Doesent she know how to READ RAILS? My god....

I'm of course not an MTA employee but ummm common sense...

Trains are obviously different, but when I've been on the express bus and the driver was going the wrong way, we would yell out and notify him that he was going the wrong way and direct him accordingly unless it was to our benefit. lol  I usually ride in the first car on the subway, so I would go to the front and bang on the door to try to get the person's attention, but I don't just blindly put my trust in anyone and think that they can't make a mistake.  It's my job as a passenger to be aware of my surroundings and what is going on.  Too many people sit and daydream.

I didnt get that either! Some of these people who rude the subway I tell you....

Theres something called the emergency brake.. idiots..

什么?

With all due respect, this is getting absurd. Every time I read what you have to say, my IQ literally goes down by 10 points. You need to stop, slow down, and take some time to write in a coherent manner.  I know children who have developed better writing habits than you.

If you think that the age of the car had any bearing on how the switches operated, I have a bridge to sell you.

什麽? 我不知道你说什麽。你说这样的随机。

Why would they originate/terminate it from Chambers? The relay track is between that station and Canal. It would take slight longer. It already drop out at Canal anyway, so it can relay south of the station and the T/O heads to the other end of the car and go back into service at Canal N/B. Much simpler.

Also, can't have those trains terminate at WTC obviously because it would be much easier to keep the (A) in the middle the entire way than to cross it over for literary no reason.

In other words, they should have had the (A) EITHER:

Gone to Chambers, move to the uptown track and terminate there INSTEAD OF at Canal

OR

Had the (A) go to the (E) and terminate on the (E) platform at Chambers

Either of those avoids the potential mess they could have had.

Sped read through the thread, (Alot of posts to read, if I missed something let me know, haven't been here in 2 days so a bit out of the loop here).

Eh, don't worry. This site is already half dead anyway. It's all good, just take your time.

I mean in this situation if you are not an avid rider of the (A) and (C) line then you would not see much of a problem, from what i have read the t/o was operating at a reasonable speed when wrong railing (10-15 mph) it was not like she was heading uptown at normal track speed....Also in the situation that you guys keep mentioning (aka the bus operator) mta has pretty much rolled out full length cabs to all it's equipment with a few exceptions so it would be hard to tell if something did happen to the operator.  The MTA fleet is also all equipped with dead man switches, which in most case would throw the train into emergency if something happened to the T/O....NOT SAYING THAT ANY OF THIS IS RIGHT...but it seems like that there really was nothing that would exactly raise eyebrows (it would be a completely different story if say this R46 was heading uptown at 35 on the downtown track)

(Correct me if i am wrong) 

Which car the female conductor that ran (A) line went to track 2 .. I mean which old school car was she driving the train... Is it R32... That it not her fault.. The R32 is way too old .. Anything can happening driving R32.. The R32 retirement did came.. Or was it R46.. Off topic. if it was R46 .. That car must of got derailment , somehow went track 2 on downtown track.. That R46 if she drove should go OOS ( out of service )..

This is beyond f**king stupid and most likely an obvious troll post. I understand that the lobotomy may have been painful, but posting that a crash with an R32 is likely and if it were an R46 it may have derailed is a new level of stupidity. I think you posted it just to rile people up, and I'm not entirely clear why the mods let you stay on this site.

The riders sure have some good sense of direction...

The stupidity of some of these straphangers I am forced to deal with on a daily basis on my rush hour commutes can be appalling. Holding doors, blasting headphones, blowing farts, stuck up attitudes, totally lacking in subway etiquette. Exactly, they are idiots for not seeing that the train was going in the wrong direction and pulling the friggin emergency cords!

Archived