LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, BrotherOne said:

When were you notified that you had passed the S&D exam? Its been over 3 weeks for me so far and I'm getting a little worried...I think I passed the exam, but there is that annoying doubt that grows day by day.

It varies for everyone, it seems like its done on a case by case basis. @Steven trejo was notified 2-3 weeks after taking the s&d, I was notified in 4 days, some were notified after a month.  No real method to it, whenever they get time it seems. 

Edited by Lirrdream

3 hours ago, Iwetoddit said:

Got my email!!!  I’m in for Phase 1, phew.  

Now I’ll be coming from Central Islip, would it be better to take the train or drive?

I do hope that that’s the only class at Hillside cause I’m not sure what to tell my supervisors about leaving early every Wednesday. 

Train (better) or drive(you don’t a keycard to swipe the gates. The instructor will open the gate for you. You have to call him to swipe it open)  to hillside and drive to Babylon. If you take the train to Babylon. It’s a 40-50 min walk to the yard from the station. 

1 hour ago, BrotherOne said:

When were you notified that you had passed the S&D exam? Its been over 3 weeks for me so far and I'm getting a little worried...I think I passed the exam, but there is that annoying doubt that grows day by day.

I would call to verify if I passed. Doesn’t hurt to call. 

23 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

@Steven trejo @Stevend258 @Iwetoddit one more week until class guys. Hows the pre-studying going? I'm just patiently waiting for it to begin,  hard road to get to just this point, just ready to continue this journey and learn as much as I possibly can. 

So far so good, writing each rule down like crazy already went through two 300 page note books working on my third 🤓 Heheh I’m super exited too man can’t wait to be a student again lol 📚

29 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

@Steven trejo @Stevend258 @Iwetoddit one more week until class guys. Hows the pre-studying going? I'm just patiently waiting for it to begin,  hard road to get to just this point, just ready to continue this journey and learn as much as I possibly can. 

Been studying as much as I can just can’t wait for it to start 

1 hour ago, Lirrdream said:

It’s going lol.  Doing my best to get the rules perfected.  I can’t do all that writing like @Steven trejo my hand isn’t built for it lol.  I study 3-4 hours daily after work.  Weekends two study’s sessions.  This weekend will be intense for me.

Good evening all!  Would appreciate any thoughts on the following: S&D test date was May 11th.  Haven't heard anything.  Don't know if I passed the test.  Is this unusual?  Maybe I didn't score well?

Congratulations and good luck to all who have advanced to the next phase.

Thank you

3 minutes ago, Elaine said:

Good evening all!  Would appreciate any thoughts on the following: S&D test date was May 11th.  Haven't heard anything.  Don't know if I passed the test.  Is this unusual?  Maybe I didn't score well?

Congratulations and good luck to all who have advanced to the next phase.

Thank you

Hey Elaine, sorry to hear :( I took my s&d in May too and got notified like 3 weeks after. I’ve read this forum from page 1 and they say no news is good news, but if you get a letter in mail it pretty much means you didn’t get selected. I would honestly try to get in touch with HR see what’s going on..

I, too, have read almost all of the pages and agree no news is good news.  I was invited on April 6th and when I was scheduled for the S&D on May 11th I was elated.  But now I have so many doubts.  I've been checking my email multiple times a day.  I will call HR tomorrow.  Thank you so much for responding to my post.  I appreciate it very much!

7 minutes ago, Elaine said:

I, too, have read almost all of the pages and agree no news is good news.  I was invited on April 6th and when I was scheduled for the S&D on May 11th I was elated.  But now I have so many doubts.  I've been checking my email multiple times a day.  I will call HR tomorrow.  Thank you so much for responding to my post.  I appreciate it very much!

Anytime brother man! Remember doubt kills more dreams then failure ever will. 💪 

49 minutes ago, Elaine said:

Hey Elaine, hopefully you passed. Never know. I would call HR just to verify. It would suck if you did well on the definitions and missed one signal. But no news is good news. So far I’ve only heard them sending out letters after panel interview for not making it further. Not after S&D. Good luck. 

You guys will be drawing soon when you get into class. I'd recommend getting some 0.5mm fine tipped pens (black and blue). It will help you fit your drawings into a smaller space which you'll need for the test. Training will only accept information in blue, but I use black for writing notes while running since those smear less.

7 hours ago, Jsunflyguy said:

You guys will be drawing soon when you get into class. I'd recommend getting some 0.5mm fine tipped pens (black and blue). It will help you fit your drawings into a smaller space which you'll need for the test. Training will only accept information in blue, but I use black for writing notes while running since those smear less.

Funny you mentioned it. I used .38 to draw. And .5-.7 to write. Used the G2s to draw. Had to order online since staples only stocks .5mm. For writing and testing I used the PENTEC ENERGELS. .5-.7. awesome pens to write. Flows smoothly and doesn’t hurt the hand 

9 hours ago, Elaine said:

I feel the same as you. I took the S&D exam Aug 17 and constantly keep checking email. I emailed Michelle Drew in HR to ask when I could expect an answer and received no response. Pass or fail, I just need closure in order to move on. I don't want to start something else just to drop it later when LIRR finally gets back to me.

28 minutes ago, BrotherOne said:

I feel the same as you. I took the S&D exam Aug 17 and constantly keep checking email. I emailed Michelle Drew in HR to ask when I could expect an answer and received no response. Pass or fail, I just need closure in order to move on. I don't want to start something else just to drop it later when LIRR finally gets back to me.

Hey brother one , of you took your s&d last month then you should be in the next class around January I would guess right @drenyce311 

11 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

@drenyce311, are you familiar with the parking situation at hillside facility?  Is there usually parking on dunkirk?  I can just take the 5 minute walk from there.

Yes you.can park in Dunkirk or the side streets. 

Edited by drenyce311

53 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

@drenyce311, are you familiar with the parking situation at hillside facility?  Is there usually parking on dunkirk?  I can just take the 5 minute walk from there.

I’m catching the train on Wednesday’s to hillside facility, not messing around parking. Almost was  late for the open house! Luckily I found parking at the very last minute :) and literally ran to offices with one minute to spare ;) huee 

1 hour ago, Steven trejo said:

I’m catching the train on Wednesday’s to hillside facility, not messing around parking. Almost was  late for the open house! Luckily I found parking at the very last minute :) and literally ran to offices with one minute to spare ;) huee 

@Steven trejo you are indeed very lucky, when I took the s&d back in June I arrived almost an hour early, but they actually locked the doors 10 minutes before the report time, they said anyone cutting it this close already is not a good sign lol. This is one opportunity I'm not messing around with....

1 minute ago, Lirrdream said:

@Steven trejo you are indeed very lucky, when I took the s&d back in June I arrived almost an hour early, but they actually locked the doors 10 minutes before the report time, they said anyone cutting it this close already is not a good sign lol. This is one opportunity I'm not messing around with....

That’s what I’m saying, learned my lesson lol. Catching 4:07 pm train from Jamiaca to HS🚂💨 driving to Babylon is mandatory bc it’s like hour walk🚶🏽‍♂️from station I heard ! Not sure how parking works over there but we’ll find out on Wednesday ;) .