5982 in minor accident!

I Run Trains

On My way home from the airport i was on 5982. While heading down 125th in the bus lane approaching Madison, A Mini Van tried to make A right from the left lane as the bus was heading into the intersection an BAM! Bus this the Van! The was no major Damage done to the bus. Just a shattered window and broken Mirror!

PS.. It was a Female Driving the Mini Van!!!

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

I'm not understanding the relevance of the driver's gender to this.

There's a stereotype of women being bad drivers (which is statistically untrue according to auto insurance companies), and the poster probably bought that and made that connection here.

Big stereotype yes, but given my experiences with female drivers has proven true in most cases despite auto insurance companies' records. Same stereotype goes with Asian drivers and Jewish drivers unfortunately.

Either way....people need to understand buses and large trucks have a turning radius larger of than cars.

Well II guess 5982 is out for a bit. I swear, people don't know how to drive in NYC. I remembered a few cars almost hitting the Q113 and Q53 buses when I was riding the routes. Those d!cks need to pay attention to what is around them instead of what is on their phone (not that I'm saying this is why the bus is out of service).

This is not that bad...just put on a new mirror, replace the windshield, and put the bus back on the road. I'd like to have seen the damage to the minivan, which must have sustained much worse damage.

Its worse than you think. The part of the frame that the mirror was yanked our of was damaged. From what I see (I inspected the bus yesterday), the panels have to come off, that part of the frame has to be plated, than another rivnut insert has to be installed. It'll take 3 to 5 days to repair, depending on how they want to approach it.

On Friday 10/5 similar situation that involved a bus and car collision in Queens, bus making left turn from Hillside Av on to Merrick Blvd, and car coming from opposite direction tried to beat bus at turn and got hit. Caused major traffic jam other bus lined up to make same left turn. People in cars drive like they r on a race track need to be more careful.

How do they tow the artics? They seem really unwieldy to hook up to a big tow truck and navigate through small city streets (though I guess it's not much worse than towing an 18-wheeler) 

I've seen a D60 being towed by a regular tow truck on Fordham Road years ago. I'm not sure if it still happens now, but it's just a thought.

Its worse than you think. The part of the frame that the mirror was yanked our of was damaged. From what I see (I inspected the bus yesterday), the panels have to come off, that part of the frame has to be plated, than another rivnut insert has to be installed. It'll take 3 to 5 days to repair, depending on how they want to approach it.

They went the cheap/fast route, so the bus should be back on the street tomorrow...

How do they tow the artics? They seem really unwieldy to hook up to a big tow truck and navigate through small city streets (though I guess it's not much worse than towing an 18-wheeler)

Unlike normal buses (excluding hybrids), artics an only be towed from the front. And they can only be raised about 18 inches off the ground. This keeps the arctic joint from "breaking".

I've seen a D60 being towed by a regular tow truck on Fordham Road years ago. I'm not sure if it still happens now, but it's just a thought.

Good to know

They went the cheap/fast route, so the bus should be back on the street tomorrow...

Unlike normal buses (excluding hybrids), artics an only be towed from the front. And they can only be raised about 18 inches off the ground. This keeps the arctic joint from "breaking".

THanks for the info! That's exactly what I was wondering about

It happened on Q53 Triboro Days, when northbound Q53 was making right onto Newport Av from Beach 116th St, idiot car driver from gas station on SE corner burst in front of Q53 to make right turn, sending Triboro Bus driver to screeching halt, sending some of passengers to dashboard.

It also happen on crowded Jamaica-bound Q6 (before LTD implemention), when bus was about to pulled over to bus stop at Atlantic Av across street, idiot female driver made right turn onto Atlantic Av. I scrapped my right leg because bus driver had to put on break.

It also happen on Kew Garden-bound Q10 LTD, car driver cut off us in front, then drove on WRONG SIDE OF ROAD for few blocks to Kew Garden Rd, then turn left.

It also happened on Co-Op City Plaza-bound Bx12 SBS, when bus was waiting for TSP at 10th Av, idiot  monster truck cut as off and jump red light like maniac.

It also happened on Mineola-bound n41 (before n87 revised), where car driver trying to squeeze through between car and n41 bus in order to make right turn.

It also happened when I was waiting for Bee-Line Bus at Tarrytown Rd by deli, delivery truck suddenly pops out of hidden driveway in front of Not In Service Bee-Line Bus, which LibertyLine Operator had to screech his/her brake to hit the truck.

It also happened on my school bus, Jofaz Transportation where I was commuting to Simon Baruch MS104 from Yorkville, when male bus driver were on 2nd Av, bus driver had to put on brake to avoid hitting dog that jump in front of traffic and our bus.

It occasionally happened on M4, M60, n4, n6, n20, n21, n24, n22, n27, n35, n40/41, n88, n87, n19, n70, n71, n72, n79, n80, n81, W20, W21, W60, W61, W62, W75, W14, W15, W1T, W1W, TOR#91.

Ooh. That looks pretty bad. No worries, get new glass and mirror and it'll be on its way!

By the way, does anybody know about a Q66 bus crash, and if so, can they give me the details? My mom was on that bus...

Pretty long time ago.

It happened on Q53 Triboro Days, when northbound Q53 was making right onto Newport Av from Beach 116th St, idiot car driver from gas station on SE corner burst in front of Q53 to make right turn, sending Triboro Bus driver to screeching halt, sending some of passengers to dashboard.

It also happen on crowded Jamaica-bound Q6 (before LTD implemention), when bus was about to pulled over to bus stop at Atlantic Av across street, idiot female driver made right turn onto Atlantic Av. I scrapped my right leg because bus driver had to put on break.

It also happen on Kew Garden-bound Q10 LTD, car driver cut off us in front, then drove on WRONG SIDE OF ROAD for few blocks to Kew Garden Rd, then turn left.

It also happened on Co-Op City Plaza-bound Bx12 SBS, when bus was waiting for TSP at 10th Av, idiot  monster truck cut as off and jump red light like maniac.

It also happened on Mineola-bound n41 (before n87 revised), where car driver trying to squeeze through between car and n41 bus in order to make right turn.

It also happened when I was waiting for Bee-Line Bus at Tarrytown Rd by deli, delivery truck suddenly pops out of hidden driveway in front of Not In Service Bee-Line Bus, which LibertyLine Operator had to screech his/her brake to hit the truck.

It also happened on my school bus, Jofaz Transportation where I was commuting to Simon Baruch MS104 from Yorkville, when male bus driver were on 2nd Av, bus driver had to put on brake to avoid hitting dog that jump in front of traffic and our bus.

It occasionally happened on M4, M60, n4, n6, n20, n21, n24, n22, n27, n35, n40/41, n88, n87, n19, n70, n71, n72, n79, n80, n81, W20, W21, W60, W61, W62, W75, W14, W15, W1T, W1W, TOR#91.

Wow, you should really develop statistics for the DOT. You have a vast amount of knowledge and keep track of everything! At least in this accident, the whole front of the bus does not need to be replaced.

Archived