Metro-North Train Hits 2 Cars In Valhalla; Catches Fire

MTA Orion Bus

Are you guys serious worrying about parts and there are people DEAD. Is that all you care for now? Forget the official report I'm going to wait until the salvage hits ebay.

You don't think I know that? Now you acting like I'm the one who caused the accident! I just said if the MTA wanted to get some money off 4332 they could just sell the stuff that's not burned or damaged. Sheesh.

Nope, sorry guys, 4333 is done. The carriage is burned out, and warped due to fire damage. It would be expensive and impractical to repair it.

Most likely scenario, it'll be cut up and scrapped. 4332 could be cannibalized for parts if needed, I suppose, or they could use it to form a one-off 5, 7 or 9-car train. Or even modify it and send it to New Haven (no, I don't think they'll do that either).

But with 4333, there's hardly anything left to use!

Wow, the fire was THAT bad? I still don't get it, when the train collided with the car did it explode at that moment or until afterwards?

Wow, the fire was THAT bad? I still don't get it, when the train collided with the car did it explode at that moment or until afterwards?

Did you not see the first time the train hit the car? (Just a question I'm wondering, don't know if you did or not, not to be offensive) The M7 hits the SUV at (BS)MPH and was on fire for hours.

Nope, sorry guys, 4333 is done. The carriage is burned out, and warped due to fire damage. It would be expensive and impractical to repair it.

Most likely scenario, it'll be cut up and scrapped. 4332 could be cannibalized for parts if needed, I suppose, or they could use it to form a one-off 5, 7 or 9-car train. Or even modify it and send it to New Haven (no, I don't think they'll do that either).

But with 4333, there's hardly anything left to use!

That's not important now it doesn't matter if that whole set is scrapped, there's always extra and if there's not then they are one consist short big deal. You also are worrying about what they can salvage. That's not your JOB to decide. Savage.

You don't think I know that? Now you acting like I'm the one who caused the accident! I just said if the MTA wanted to get some money off 4332 they could just sell the stuff that's not burned or damaged. Sheesh. Wow, the fire was THAT bad? I still don't get it, when the train collided with the car did it explode at that moment or until afterwards?

You really think the MTA is CARING about stripping that train to preserve parts right now? Get a life you savage. That train is evidence and you're worrying about parts to collect.

Only thing I can think of them selling on the M7 is the seats, the other car in the pair will probably be cannibalized for parts, highly doubt anything would be sold by Metro North.

Same as you, all these speculations. Complete savage.

According to NY Daily news, a section of third rail impaled the SUV as well as the leading two cars on the train, which probably caused a number of fatalities on the train. Very sad to see this happen, and praying for all involved.

Daily News URL (because the site is not happy with my computer): http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ntsb-heads-westchester-investigate-metro-north-crash-article-1.2102750

In one of the photos, you can see a worker cutting up a rail between two cars. I can not imagine the chaos inside that car in that short moment of time.

That's not important now it doesn't matter if that whole set is scrapped, there's always extra and if there's not then they are one consist short big deal. You also are worrying about what they can salvage. That's not your JOB to decide. Savage.

You really think the MTA is CARING about stripping that train to preserve parts right now? Get a life you savage. That train is evidence and you're worrying about parts to collect.

Okay first of all who do you think you are calling me savage!? You think I don't have sympathy for the people who died on this train?? I DO.

For once, I agree with Javier.

Folks are not obligated to express sympathy, condolences, sad feelings, etc. In fact, I consider condolences posts to be spam, if posted for no purpose other than to express such feelings. Such posts do nothing to enrich a discussion and are worse than the stuff Javier, trainfan22, or missabassi posted.

…not that I endorse what they posted though.

You're trying too hard.... I already addressed the people on the train on the first page in this thread.

The Daily News is below toilet paper when it comes to rags.  I love how they make it seem like that engineer and the train were out for blood (like they do with every (MTA) or transit related article!) when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

By the way, I think he meant "salvage," not "savage." They are a letter off, I know.

Okay first of all who do you think you are calling me savage!? You think I don't have sympathy for the people who died on this train?? I DO.

Javiar, I believe you when you say you express sympathy, but expressing sympathy and then wondering when you can buy parts is tasteless and callous in my opinion.

Anyways, I highly, highly doubt that the MTA will ever sell any parts. If that was my family member who was killed on the train, I would not appreciate the MTA trying to turn a profit from a tragedy.

The Daily News is below toilet paper when it comes to rags.  I love how they make it seem like that engineer and the train were out for blood (like they do with every (MTA) or transit related article!) when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

By the way, I think he meant "salvage," not "savage." They are a letter off, I know.

I'm pretty sure he was calling Javier a savage for thinking about trying to buy the train's parts.

True... So much speculation... Even The New York Post does that too. Look what both The Daily News and the Post showed on the December 1st derailment the days after (which showed Nelson Rockefeller walking without no injury whatsoever).  <_<

So from what I got from the NTSB conference, the train properly sounded its horn, it was going 58mph in a 60mph zone, and the grade crossing equipment worked as designed.

Also, it was corroborated by a witness in a car directly behind the SUV that the gate closed against the rear of the vehicle and that she did step out of the vehicle then step back in and then the SUV went forward and that's when the SUV was struck by the train.

IMO I'm drawing a mental picture of the scene and it seems like although she couldnt move the car backwards if she would have stayed in place and stepped away from her vehicle, the vehicle would only have been either sideswiped or clipped by the train or maybe the train would have missed the car by a narrow margin.

So from what I got from the NTSB conference, the train properly sounded its horn, it was going 58mph in a 60mph zone, and the grade crossing equipment worked as designed.

Also, it was corroborated by a witness in a car directly behind the SUV that the gate closed against the rear of the vehicle and that she did step out of the vehicle then step back in and then the SUV went forward and that's when the SUV was struck by the train.

IMO I'm drawing a mental picture of the scene and it seems like although she couldnt move the car backwards if she would have stayed in place and stepped away from her vehicle, the vehicle would only have been either sideswiped or clipped by the train or maybe the train would have missed the car by a narrow margin.

She should of just back it up and broke the guard that is designed to break. MNR would rather her do that and worry about the damages later then the fatal action she took.

While I usually agree about the daily news' poor repertoire, I don't see where the NY Daily News depicts the engineer in a bad light in the article I linked. They actually try to humanize him by talking about his efforts and his history. I felt that it properly shows that there are places are car should not stop, trains don't stop on a dime, and even if the engineer sees you on the tracks, it might already be too late. The only thing in this article I don't agree with is the reference to the 2013 derailment at the end.

While I usually agree about the daily news' poor repertoire, I don't see where the NY Daily News depicts the engineer in a bad light in the article I linked. They actually try to humanize him by talking about his efforts and his history. I felt that it properly shows that there are places are car should not stop, trains don't stop on a dime, and even if the engineer sees you on the tracks, it might already be too late. The only thing in this article I don't agree with is the reference to the 2013 derailment at the end.

Well I think you'll find most everyone in the media is not too well educated about most things. Keep in mind you have most of them refer to railroad engineers as "train drivers". nj.com is the worst

Well I think you'll find most everyone in the media is not too well educated about most things. Keep in mind you have most of them refer to railroad engineers as "train drivers". nj.com is the worst

That I know very well, which is why I find this article to be quite fair in its description of events. If there's something in there that people here might have issues with, it's the human depiction of the woman driving the SUV that was involved. Yes, her apparent actions (which I would never condone) played a major role in the sequence of tragic events, I am reminded that there was a life, family and friends that is part of her story whether I sympathize with her or not. However, I don't think that depiction villanizes the engineer in the article. In this instance they actually call him an engineer!

That I know very well, which is why I find this article to be quite fair in its description of events. If there's something in there that people here might have issues with, it's the human depiction of the woman driving the SUV that was involved. Yes, her apparent actions (which I would never condone) played a major role in the sequence of tragic events, I am reminded that there was a life, family and friends that is part of her story whether I sympathize with her or not. However, I don't think that depiction villanizes the engineer in the article. In this instance they actually call him an engineer!

To add on to this, I found this from NJ Burkett of WABC 7 who did a short piece on the engineer. Must read

https://m.facebook.com/edits/?cid=1626521010909767&ref=bookmark

To add on to this, I found this from NJ Burkett of WABC 7 who did a short piece on the engineer. Must read

https://m.facebook.com/edits/?cid=1626521010909767&ref=bookmark

I love the "throw every brake you got" part. It brings pictures of a steam engine engineer flipping levers and turning dials to mind...

Interesting did anyone else notice that the Train was wrong railing ? It was running on the southbound track. I know this is common place on railroads may It may have been a express train maybe and was switched to by pass a local. In a panic and in the dark I could see her not knowing this and seeing headlights. Her car stopped and got hit by the gates on the northbound side first. She was probably thinking she was in the direct line of the train and maybe backing up wasn't a option. Moving forward might have may have made more sense to clear the N/B track the only thing she ran into the path of the train on the SB track either way what a  tragedy...

There's no such thing as "wrong" railing on Metro-North. Any train can come by at any time from any direction since all its mainline tracks are signalled in both directions. At 125th Street for instance, you'll usually see inbound trains in the AM rush and outbound trains in the PM rush using 3 out of the 4 available tracks, including one track that would otherwise be used for trains going the opposite direction.

One time I was on a New Haven line train going southbound making stops on the northbound track on a Sunday, and another time after Hurricane Sandy I was on a northbound train making stops on the southbound track.

Archived