Metro-North Train Hits 2 Cars In Valhalla; Catches Fire

MTA Orion Bus

Valhalla is not within city limits of NYC. Also, why blame the existence of the crossing? The lights go on way before the gate goes down, so the idiot at the wheel must have tried to beat the train and paid the price. What SHOULD be done is a safety campaign regarding what to and not to do at RR crossings. LACMTA does it with the MetroRail and they are fine. Sure they get the occasional accident, but people don't try to beat the train all too often.

City as in Metro area. The immediate response would be a PSA campaign so I really hope they get to that soon!

i dont want to sound mean, but what kind of an idiot gets out of their car and then back in on an active train crossing? :huh:

Current information says that this woman try to beat the closing gates. You can't wait two, or three minutes for a train to pass? She deserves the Darwin Award of the year.

First our condolences should be with everyone involved in this accident even those who were not injured because they are thankfully alive. Secondly, we have no idea what EXACTLY happened,the only people that know are the people in those vehicles. For all we know there could be numerous reasons for why a vehicle was stopped on a crossing. It could had been planned, it could had been an emergency such that the driver had a seizure or some medical condition, or mechanical failure with the vehicle. But reading these comments are absolutely harsh to take in. Honestly if my car somehow stopped dead on a RR crossing with a train coming I would be panic and try to shift my car in neutral and try to push it off, time is a valuable thing. It's unfortunate how this turned out though.

Current information? That's a speculation. And I hope that current information is false. Your comment is disgusting.

First our condolences should be with everyone involved in this accident even those who were not injured because they are thankfully alive. Secondly, we have no idea what EXACTLY happened,the only people that know are the people in those vehicles. For all we know there could be numerous reasons for why a vehicle was stopped on a crossing. It could had been planned, it could had been an emergency such that the driver had a seizure or some medical condition, or mechanical failure with the vehicle. But reading these comments are absolutely harsh to take in. Honestly if my car somehow stopped dead on a RR crossing with a train coming I would be panic and try to shift my car in neutral and try to push it off, time is a valuable thing. It's unfortunate how this turned out though.

Current information? That's a speculation. And I hope that current information is false. Your comment is disgusting.

Not only that but condolences should be given to everyone as you said.  I see comments in here about the conductor and having condolences for the crew.  The passengers on that train were humans and mattered too... It's also disturbing that people care so much about which train car it was, etc. as if that is more important than the loss of life.  

Condolences is just another word for sympathy. It's not something I just give away. Condolences is another word for understanding. Considering the circumstances, this event is not worthy of getting that from me either. Excuse me if I seem callous.

City as in Metro area. The immediate response would be a PSA campaign so I really hope they get to that soon!

Why should all grade crossings be eliminated though? They should only be eliminated where there is a need. If there was a need to grade separate this portion, then it would have happened already. Accidents like this are going to happen every now and then.

Looks like Operation Lifesaver is going to be in full effect in New York. This is something you'd see down south, and out west (albeit against Amtrak and other freight trains). One thing that comes to mind about this was that it reminded me of that Metrolink train in Los Angeles that struck an abandoned SUV on the tracks (forgot how many were killed from it).

Ironically the Metrolink accident inspired a Law & Order episode of the same nature, even more ironically enough was that it used Metro North as the railroad that struck the abandoned car, killing most everyone on the train.

I'd be most interested to see what comes of this investigation. I'm leaning more towards this lady would likely face criminal prosecution had she lived.

When Metro North had the Open House at there Carton Harmon shops they had pamphlets and such discussing that Operation Lifesaver program.

Condolences is just another word for sympathy. It's not something I just give away. Condolences is another word for understanding. Considering the circumstances, this event is not worthy of getting that from me either. Excuse me if I seem callous.

It certainly is callous when the accident is still under investigation and none of us was there to know what exactly happened and why.  The original reports said two cars were hit, then they changed it to one car, but until we get the final report, those sorts of remarks should not be made.

So, am I reading this right here that you're saying you won't offer sympathy to those families affected by this tragedy for those who passed away and who lived because this event did not meet your standards for giving respect? What is it; the amount of people involved in this accident was at least 700 and because 693 or 99% lived that this wasn't worth any condolences. Would it be worth your sympathy if you knew someone(family,friend) who passed away in this event or any event where 99% of the people involved lived or would that not be worthy.

Looks like Operation Lifesaver is going to be in full effect in New York. This is something you'd see down south, and out west (albeit against Amtrak and other freight trains). One thing that comes to mind about this was that it reminded me of that Metrolink train in Los Angeles that struck an abandoned SUV on the tracks (forgot how many were killed from it).

Ironically the Metrolink accident inspired a Law & Order episode of the same nature, even more ironically enough was that it used Metro North as the railroad that struck the abandoned car, killing most everyone on the train.

I'd be most interested to see what comes of this investigation. I'm leaning more towards this lady would likely face criminal prosecution had she lived.

I think that was operated by Veolia Transdev that killed a lot of people on Metrolink.

Little off-topic but relative to RR Crossing.

According to Kron4 New's People Hehaving Badly, many bus drivers in his hometown don't make stop at RR crossing.

Before and After

It certainly is callous when the accident is still under investigation and none of us was there to know what exactly happened and why.  The original reports said two cars were hit, then they changed it to one car, but until we get the final report, those sorts of remarks should not be made.

I can say whatever I please. Sorry if they don't fall in line with what the majority feels is the norm.

I wonder how much it would cost to do grade separation for the more populous areas with grade crossings... Given that service would have to be stopped and the embankments raised to a level with appropriate clearance...

Certain communities actually oppose grade crossings on the basis that their elimination could mean more trains running through their town. This is particularly frequent in Long Island.

Wow! I heard it was an elderly woman and we all assumed it was suicide.

I wonder how much it would cost to do grade separation for the more populous areas with grade crossings... Given that service would have to be stopped and the embankments raised to a level with appropriate clearance...

Valhalla is hardly populated. Also you have the Taconic next to the tracks with grade intersections and in that little downtown area there's not much space for elevated crossings.

Just saw this braking news on ABC 7. Hope everyone is ok.

Haha the braking news!

Totally wild. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why we must advocate for Grade Separation on all commuter rail lines in this city. LIRR has done an admirable job at trying but they all need to do more.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Valhalla/@41.072793,-73.772609,3a,75y,349.64h,74.69t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAKtaWzBgJK55wwzEs7LZ2Q!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x905f25e4f183e304

Good luck with grade seperation there. Why don't you look before it's possible. I've been through the area several times and it just wont work.

My condolences to those who died on the train. You will be missed.

There is this Law and Order episode of exactly what happened on the train, it's called "Law & Order UK: Tracks". It just shows you that people can't wait an extra minute, and I'm not saying that's what happened, that's just my opinion. Until we know what exactly happened, let's stop arguing at each other please....

More info:

Struck a mercedes SUV.

8 people still hospitalized.

Will catch the train's speed and other info tomorrow. Train crew will also be interviewed tomorrow.

SUV was pushed 1,000 ft beyond the tracks.

All of the 4333 was burned down, not likely to return to service.

Trying to see if the grade crossing meets feteral requirement.

Event/Black box recorder on train possibly sent to D.C.

(Saw a C40 in the cut of the scene lol)

I just had another thought. This accident reminded me of a collision between car and train on the Harlem Line some years back: a computer programmer from California was following his GPS which told him to turn right, but the problem was, he turned right onto the railroad tracks. The train, an inbound train, came and he gets out of his car waving at the train to stop. No dice, of course. Train slams into the car. I don't think there was much in the way of injuries, if anything, more bruised egos than anything else. I think Metro North, the Rental Company, and anyone else late for work that day, went after the driver (money wise)

A lesson that wayward cars are a railroad's worst nightmare

More info:

Struck a mercedes SUV.

Will catch the train's speed and other info tomorrow. Train crew will also be interviewed tomorrow.

More info:

Struck a mercedes SUV.

It might be canninballed for parts, hopefully the good stuff they will eb avaible to sell on MTA collectible page.

It might be canninballed for parts, hopefully the good stuff they will eb avaible to sell on MTA collectible page.

Are you guys serious worrying about parts and there are people DEAD. Is that all you care for now? Forget the official report I'm going to wait until the salvage hits ebay.

Nope, sorry guys, 4333 is done. The carriage is burned out, and warped due to fire damage. It would be expensive and impractical to repair it.
Most likely scenario, it'll be cut up and scrapped. 4332 could be cannibalized for parts if needed, I suppose, or they could use it to form a one-off 5, 7 or 9-car train. Or even modify it and send it to New Haven (no, I don't think they'll do that either).
But with 4333, there's hardly anything left to use!

Archived