Your subway’s late because of a surge in unruly passengers

Q113 LTD

I usually try to avoid taking the (A) completely, but the other night I had just missed a (C) train and wanted to get Downtown quickly to get the BxM2 home, so I said f**k it and saw an (A) coming and got on, but scanned the cars to see who was inside.  I strategically picked which door I would enter through so that I could make a quick exit and move to the next car if need be, and sure enough, as soon as I stepped on, some guy is yelling at the top of his lungs with his guitar blaring.  I immediately left that car and ran to the next one. Not only are these "performers" loud and obnoxious, and create hazardous conditions, they also can harass passengers for money. People are just trying to get from point A to point B quickly and safely.  All of the other nonsense I could do without.

I've had to do the same I got on an (A) train and was expecting to read on my Kindle when this guy got on and started preaching, I ran to the next car at the next station.

Well I think Cyclists shouldn't even use the subway in the first place. What is the point of you having a bicycle when your just going to use the subway. Just bike your way to work, or wherever you need to go. 

Well sometimes your destination is far. That's almost like saying, if you're walking anyway why get on the subway.

There are times when it's nice out and I'd like to cycle in/to Manhattan/Brooklyn etc, buses don't have bike racks so I have to cycle few miles to Jamaica to catch the subway. Do I want to cycle all the way to Manhattan on my bike, not really. There have been times I've ridden all the way home for the exercise and to see how long it took though.

Governors Island has free ferries on the weekend for cycling, etc. I decided to check it out. Did I want to ride my bike all the way to the ferry terminal downtown near battery park from eastern Queens? Nope. 

Also, if you've been riding all day the last thing you want to do is ride all the way back home, on the subway you go. And in eastern Queens you HAVE to ride home a few miles from Jamaica/Main Street anyway because buses don't have racks, so its best to recoup on the subway.

THey also forgot crush loaded (G) and Mets/Tennis (7) service crowds.

(1): Uptown trains gets crowded from 34th St to 110/116th Sts.

(2)(3): Uptown trains gets crowded from 34th St to 96th St.

(4)(5)(6): Between 86th St and Bowling Green.

(7)<7> From Queensboro Plaza and during AM Rush Hour <7> at Flushing is packed.

(A): From 145th St to Broadway Junction.

(C): Packed on 8th Avenue section mostly.

(D): Packed mostly.

(E): Packed both direction.

(F): Packed between 34th St-Herald Sq and Kew Gardens.

(G): Packed between Hoyt-Schemerhorn and Court Sq.

(J)(Z): Pakced between Jamaica Center and Chambers St.

(M): Packed between Lexington Av-53rd St and Roosevelt Av.

(N): During (7 G.O, packed between Times Sq and Queensboro Plaza.

(N)(Q): During rush hour, all stops from Queensboro Plaza to Ditmars Blvd- packed.

(R): Packed mostly in Bay Ride and Midtown area and also between Roosevelt Av and Woodhaven Blvd.

(S): 42nd St and Franklin Av Shuttle packed.

SIR: Packed between St. George and Eltingville.

Yeah, let's not.

What I want to know is why can't the MTA have police officers in the last car cab so if anyone was performing, they could arrest them right there.

And where is the extra money going to come from to have all of those officers patrolling subway cars? I see them here and there but there isn't enough money to have them doing that on a regular basis.

Yeah, let's not.

What I want to know is why can't the MTA have police officers in the last car cab so if anyone was performing, they could arrest them right there.

Would you like to volunteer? We will also have you donate all your money since it was your idea.

i know this is random but eventually the (G) line is going to need 10 cars and a transfer to the # lines because brooklyn is getting developed so much that people will eventually have to take the 2345 downtown to get the (G)

All the shuttles arent really a full line and sholuld ever be treated as such

i know this is random but eventually the (G) line is going to need 10 cars and a transfer to the # lines because brooklyn is getting developed so much that people will eventually have to take the 2345 downtown to get the (G)

All the shuttles arent really a full line and sholuld ever be treated as such

I was saying that for a while now that the  (G) needs to be 6 cars again...Idk about 10 cars

I was saying that for a while now that the  (G) needs to be 6 cars again...Idk about 10 cars

we can start with 6 and then increase because (G) line is going to need connection to the # lines if more people and business are growing along the (G) and (F) lines

I was saying that for a while now that the (G) needs to be 6 cars again...Idk about 10 cars

There isn't enough cars to go around to make it 6 cars. The R46 A-A pairs (the cars that made 6 car (G) trains possible) are all on the (A)

we can start with 6 and then increase because (G) line is going to need connection to the # lines if more people and business are growing along the (G) and (F) lines

I agree that the (G) needs more cars but it only needs 8 cars it's packed but if you have more than 8 cars on the (G) it would basically look empty during A.M. rush our back in 08 an 8 car R32 ran on the (G) and it looked so empty

The MTA needs to step up it maintenance of the trains and the stations. I see filth everywhere - just look at the track at the Grand Central and Times Square Shuttle stops - and those are high profile. They are littered with garbage. Why is that left un-cleaned? Start creating an environment where people don't feel disgusted and people will stop behaving disgusting. Its the simple 'Broken Windows Theory' look it up if you don't know it, its worked in NY in the past. People fight because they are agitated, and frustrated. Why do trains make so much noise? Can't they implement some kind of technology to minimize the noise? I'm sure its out there. Even the MTA employees all look pissed off - the other day an MTA employee who was cleaning was rolling a garbage can right when the shuttle train let out - and she was frustrated because people wouldn't let her through - and people were frustrated because she was block the tight passageway  - are you kidding me? Wait until the people pass and then go through with the garbage can. Its simple stuff that makes the difference!!

Clean up MTA and give us a better environment to commute in and things will slowly start getting better.

The MTA needs to step up it maintenance of the trains and the stations. I see filth everywhere - just look at the track at the Grand Central and Times Square Shuttle stops - and those are high profile. They are littered with garbage. Why is that left un-cleaned? Start creating an environment where people don't feel disgusted and people will stop behaving disgusting. Its the simple 'Broken Windows Theory' look it up if you don't know it, its worked in NY in the past. People fight because they are agitated, and frustrated. Why do trains make so much noise? Can't they implement some kind of technology to minimize the noise? I'm sure its out there. Even the MTA employees all look pissed off - the other day an MTA employee who was cleaning was rolling a garbage can right when the shuttle train let out - and she was frustrated because people wouldn't let her through - and people were frustrated because she was block the tight passageway  - are you kidding me? Wait until the people pass and then go through with the garbage can. Its simple stuff that makes the difference!!

Clean up MTA and give us a better environment to commute in and things will slowly start getting better.

Part of it is the leftover stuff from the decades of deferred maintenance that the MTA still does not have adequate funding to actually fix. Part of it is the fact that New Yorkers are actually disgusting. If they cleaned up all the crap in the tracks, it probably wouldn't be very long before it was full of trash again. The worst of it is that the MTA operates 24 hours - the vast majority of systems do not, and at the very least they use the overnight closing hours to clean stations or do touch-up maintenance (nothing too serious). There's never really a good time for the MTA to do any of that.

Archived