MTA Bus Operations: Scrapped Equipment List

The TransitMan

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hybrid batteries generally last only 7-8 years. I have to wonder if the reason for accelerated retirement is that the MTA doesn't want to pay for replacement lead acid batteries (although four Li+ buses have been retired---6401-2, 6468, and 6485). I have to wonder if hybrids older than 3960 will be retired before age 15.

5 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Hybrid batteries generally last only 7-8 years. I have to wonder if the reason for accelerated retirement is that the MTA doesn't want to pay for replacement lead acid batteries (although four Li+ buses have been retired---6401-2, 6468, and 6485). I have to wonder if hybrids older than 3960 will be retired before age 15.

Personally, I think the Next Generation buses will last a little while. They seem pretty healthy and some are even getting on-board screens installed. 

2 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Personally, I think the Next Generation buses will last a little while. They seem pretty healthy and some are even getting on-board screens installed. 

3800-3959 have lead acid batteries too. 3960-4278 and 4330-4702 have Li+ batteries, but those batteries are made by a Chinese company (Wanxiang's A123 Systems)...and that could be affected by tariffs. Then again, a different supplier could be found not affected by tariffs.