Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

Hello!

My list number is low 1100’s so I called this morning to ask about pre-employment and I was told they haven’t sent out letters yet but a lot of you are saying you have received them. I’m so confused 😣

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Sally08 said:

Thank you! Do we walk the higher level tracks as well?

Over the course of school car, you would have to walk on elevated structures. One example is the structure walk at Broadway Junction if you go into the B division. That's a high structure, and that's because ENY yard is next door. So yes, you would have to walk all structures.

8 minutes ago, MFury31 said:

Thanks for the help guys! I'll drop by 180 Livingston tomorrow and ask. 

If anyone is awake and can answer before I get to hear it from grouchy and incompetent MTA HR folks, how exactly do I reinstate myself on the list? I know I drop out by giving them the signed form saying I decline the appointment. But how do I then go ahead and reinstate myself on the list so they can call me a few months to a year later?

If I knew I'd get called for pre-employment before I finished college, maybe I would have purposefully gotten a few questions wrong on the test! 😛

I don't know about personally handing in the pre-employment letter with the decline checkbox checked off. It does say to mail it in. Also according to another person, he went in for pre-employment and then told staff that he wanted to decline it. The staff (one lady) apparently got pretty ticked off about it and said something along the lines of "Why did you even come in?" 

In order to reinstate your list number, you have to call DCAS (i think), I'm trying to figure this out too as my wallet was stolen and I have to replace all my IDs. I called but the guy on the phone was quite impatient and didn't really feel like repeating himself but I heard him say contact DCAS. But that could mean by phone or in person, or god knows how else.

9 hours ago, Sixgvd94 said:

@AngelRC yo bro you are so clutch right now, if you can just keep us posted on anything that we should watch out for getting through training because I know they kinda dont make it easy to get through the training process

@Sixgvd94 once you get through the pre-employment process, the next step will be the orientation by TWU. That same week, you will go to the learning center. There, you would get the books ( 4 total) as well as your PPE and your gear. After that, keep a positive attitude and it should be smooth sailing

3 minutes ago, AngelRC said:

Over the course of school car, you would have to walk on elevated structures. One example is the structure walk at Broadway Junction if you go into the B division. That's a high structure, and that's because ENY yard is next door. So yes, you would have to walk all structures.

Ok gotcha..so b divisions are the letter trains? And do we get to choose divisions and schedules?

4 minutes ago, AngelRC said:

Also expect to go to a different yard every day while in schoolcar

2 minutes ago, AngelRC said:

Also expect to go to a different yard every day while in schoolcar

Lol ok this may be a dumb question and forgive me but y are we going to yards?? (I’m a girly girl not sure if I’m prepared for all this track walking with rodents) 😪

4 minutes ago, Sally08 said:

Ok gotcha..so b divisions are the letter trains? And do we get to choose divisions and schedules?

Yes, B division are the lettered lines. No, you do not pick your schedule. They'll hand you a schedule once you split into classes. Keep in mind since about 50 people in my class went to the B division, this next class may have most of ya go into the A division. They'll ask you which division you would want to work in.

4 minutes ago, Sally08 said:

Lol ok this may be a dumb question and forgive me but y are we going to yards?? (I’m a girly girl not sure if I’m prepared for all this track walking with rodents) 😪

Better get used to getting dirty. You gotta go to yards to do pre-trip inspection of the cars. 

edit: my bad, didn't realize this was for conductor. I thought I was still on T/O thread lol

Edited by nipaaaa

2 minutes ago, AngelRC said:

Yes, B division are the lettered lines. No, you do not pick your schedule. They'll hand you a schedule once you split into classes. Keep in mind since about 50 people in my class went to the B division, this next class may have most of ya go into the A division. They'll ask you which division you would want to work in.

Are there any divisions where you are than likely to get an am shift? 

1 minute ago, Sally08 said:

Lol it's alright. The reason for going to different yards is because there will be different types of train equipment you'll have to learn. R32s and R42s can be found in ENY yard. R46s can be found in 207 yard, Jamaica yard and Coney Island/Stillwell yard. (Yes, Coney Island and Stillwell yard are 2 different yards in one). R68/R68A will be found in Coney Island, Stillwell, and Concourse yard (Yes, Concourse yard is in the Bronx). The R143s will be in Canarsie, and R160s and R179s will be in ENY and Jamaica yard. The yards are outside. Don't worry about rodents as you'll learn outside.

1 minute ago, AngelRC said:

Lol it's alright. The reason for going to different yards is because there will be different types of train equipment you'll have to learn. R32s and R42s can be found in ENY yard. R46s can be found in 207 yard, Jamaica yard and Coney Island/Stillwell yard. (Yes, Coney Island and Stillwell yard are 2 different yards in one). R68/R68A will be found in Coney Island, Stillwell, and Concourse yard (Yes, Concourse yard is in the Bronx). The R143s will be in Canarsie, and R160s and R179s will be in ENY and Jamaica yard. The yards are outside. Don't worry about rodents as you'll learn outside.

Thank you for the clarity I was so close to not accepting I cannot deal with rats lol 

1 minute ago, Sally08 said:

Thank you for the clarity I was so close to not accepting I cannot deal with rats lol 

No problem. You won't even see rodents as when your class does the tunnel walk with the instructors, the tracks are surprisingly clean

1 minute ago, AngelRC said:

No problem. You won't even see rodents as when your class does the tunnel walk with the instructors, the tracks are surprisingly clean

Oh wow I would have never guessed! So a shift consist of going back and forth one line about three or four times I’m assuming? How does that work? And what about restroom breaks??

5 minutes ago, Sally08 said:

Oh wow I would have never guessed! So a shift consist of going back and forth one line about three or four times I’m assuming? How does that work? And what about restroom breaks??

Just about. For restrooms, just go before you have to go on your train and don't drink too heavy.

11 minutes ago, Sally08 said:

Got it! Thanks for answering my crazy questions lol 

No problem. For those going to the June class, 1. congratulations 2. get people's numbers because you're a team in schoolcar 3. when y'all start, my class should be finishing up so you'll be seeing us in the learning center (maybe)

Edited by AngelRC

7 hours ago, AngelRC said:

No problem. For those going to the June class, 1. congratulations 2. get people's numbers because you're a team in schoolcar 3. when y'all start, my class should be finishing up so you'll be seeing us in the learning center (maybe)

So schoolcar is about 2 months?