Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

3 minutes ago, Sfredo said:

Yes! I got sworn in and start Monday as well! Super excited for this journey with you all and @EAS it was awesome to finally put the face to the name. Im anxious, nervous but so f**kin excited for monday!

i have a question, for the pants we have to wear for now until uniforms come, like dickie dark navy pants good? And what if there are like side pockets on them that okay? 

also, im gonna buy like 30$ boots for now until we get the ones we order it says 3/4 business days

Make sure they aren't cargo pants, just by regular pants with just the 2 pockets aka the ones with 1 pocket on each side. And dickie navy pants are good.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, EAS said:

so...........I'm officially sworn in and start on Monday 9/7. Also, ran into @Sfredo and I'm pretty sure he got in too. A couple other cool ppl that haven't registered here but follow the threads.

I'm quite excited to start this next journey with the cool ppl I met so far.

Thanks to everyone that answered questions and posted info in general. You all really helped along the way. Salute to the growing family here. #WeAreNext

I just gotta make sure I can get in on Tier 4 where I was when I used to work for the city years ago. lol

Congrats guys! Good luck if you got any questions I’d gladly help as much as I can. 💪

We appreciate all the help everyone! and yea @Sfredo I'm type nervous too but I think we will be fine. They also said slacks or khaki's too so I have lots of black slacks from my current job.

(damn, it felt good to call my Dean and tell him I'm resigning after 14yrs and I can't give a 2 week notice).

I don't think I've ever been happier to take a pay cut lol

19 minutes ago, EAS said:

We appreciate all the help everyone! and yea @Sfredo I'm type nervous too but I think we will be fine. They also said slacks or khaki's too so I have lots of black slacks from my current job.

(damn, it felt good to call my Dean and tell him I'm resigning after 14yrs and I can't give a 2 week notice).

I don't think I've ever been happier to take a pay cut lol

Lmao was he/she pissed 🤣

Just now, Schecter said:

Lmao was he/she pissed 🤣

He actually took it fairly well. I was surprised. I got an email from the VP who I worked for as an assistant back in 2011 before I was promoted to Director of my own department. She expressed her sadness at me leaving. That felt nice though.

Just now, EAS said:

He actually took it fairly well. I was surprised. I got an email from the VP who I worked for as an assistant back in 2011 before I was promoted to Director of my own department. She expressed her sadness at me leaving. That felt nice though.

Welcome to the underground my friend where you get free samples of steel dust, lead paint chipping away in stations, and pizza 🐀

Just now, Schecter said:

Welcome to the underground my friend where you get free samples of steel dust, lead paint chipping away in stations, and pizza 🐀

Sir, I am with ALL of that. I am not one to stay complacence in a job. At my current job, I have been here 14 years and I have gotten 3 promotions and 1 lateral move. I've held 5 positions total and currently run my own department. Trust, I have plans and ambition. lol

Just now, EAS said:

Sir, I am with ALL of that. I am not one to stay complacence in a job. At my current job, I have been here 14 years and I have gotten 3 promotions and 1 lateral move. I've held 5 positions total and currently run my own department. Trust, I have plans and ambition. lol

There we go!!! Good im proud of everyone making it into the September class, you guys are going to ace those exams and practicals with flying colors.

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

There we go!!! Good im proud of everyone making it into the September class, you guys are going to ace those exams and practicals with flying colors.

Yes sir. I feel good. I heard school car is hard but I know some ppl that are working and I'm surprised they passed it. That instills confidence in me. lol

Just now, EAS said:

Yes sir. I feel good. I heard school car is hard but I know some ppl that are working and I'm surprised they passed it. That instills confidence in me. lol

💀 I was the biggest nervous wreck in school car because I didn't wanna go back to being a security guard, but like you said you can look at certain people and are like wtf how they passed 🤣. Its way easier than school car for train operator just know how to key out a door, solve a door problem on your train and just point at that ugly zebra board.

1 minute ago, EAS said:

Question though. If someone fails school car, what happens? Do they have to repeat it? Do they get reassigned to something else? Do they get terminated? What happens?

You will get terminated, you won't be demoted to anything else nor would you reassigned to something else. Just get an 80 or above on your midterm and final test and pass your two practicals one in the yard and final one on the road which is the easiest one aka the road one, the yard one is also easy now looking back at it, even though I forgot the procedures already 🤣

1 minute ago, Schecter said:

💀 I was the biggest nervous wreck in school car because I didn't wanna go back to being a security guard, but like you said you can look at certain people and are like wtf how they passed 🤣. Its way easier than school car for train operator just know how to key out a door, solve a door problem on your train and just point at that ugly zebra board.

Is the Zebra Board the white board with the black switches that has things like "24" and "DC1" and "COMM/PA" and others as example?

Just now, EAS said:

That's a big 10-4 K.

Someone told me about the board I described and said I should read about "interior and exterior and foul light" that it'll be on the test.

You’ll be fine, just go over the blue book study and take notes. schoolcar is your foundation they want you to know the right way to do things. Because when you are out on ur own you will not if have to write a G-2 at some point in your career. A G-2 is a incident report they just wanna know what happen and you gotta make sure your on point. They will teach about them interior and exterior guard lights in the first week you are with ur assigned TSS and class. it’s simple stuff. They will drill everything in you. I was nervous too this job was my first major career job. so I was hard on myself. probation was much more stressful than SchoolCar for me. Cause any incident even small with transit can get you jammed up and get ur probation extended or get you fired. They petty, just be on time that’s their major gripe. Don’t be late ur only excuse will be if the train u took to work caused u to be late. In that case u write down the car number. But it will only get you out of trouble if that train was suppose to arrive before u was suppose to be at work. 

2 minutes ago, Riku said:

You’ll be fine, just go over the blue book study and take notes. schoolcar is your foundation they want you to know the right way to do things. Because when you are out on ur own you will not if have to write a G-2 at some point in your career. A G-2 is a incident report they just wanna know what happen and you gotta make sure your on point. They will teach about them interior and exterior guard lights in the first week you are with ur assigned TSS and class. it’s simple stuff. They will drill everything in you. I was nervous too this job was my first major career job. so I was hard on myself. probation was much more stressful than SchoolCar for me. Cause any incident even small with transit can get you jammed up and get ur probation extended or get you fired. They petty, just be on time that’s their major gripe. Don’t be late ur only excuse will be if the train u took to work caused u to be late. In that case u write down the car number. But it will only get you out of trouble if that train was suppose to arrive before u was suppose to be at work. 

Yea, this isn't my first career. I'm leaving a 14yr career in higher education. I think I'll be ok tho. What's TSS mean?

2 hours ago, Sfredo said:

Yes! I got sworn in and start Monday as well! Super excited for this journey with you all and @EAS it was awesome to finally put the face to the name. Im anxious, nervous but so f**kin excited for monday!

i have a question, for the pants we have to wear for now until uniforms come, like dickie dark navy pants good? And what if there are like side pockets on them that okay? 

also, im gonna buy like 30$ boots for now until we get the ones we order it says 3/4 business days

yo have you been telling ppl yet? I kinda want to but then again I don't want to. lol

Congrats to the people who have been hired, but I noticed I have a higher list number than some of you. It makes me wonder why I wasn't called and was skipped over for no apparent reason. My record is clean, I'm healthy, and I don't do drugs. I was never even invited back to pre-orientation for the opportunity to take a drug test/medical. My question is, is that it for me? If they have begun hiring people who were behind me on the list, does that mean I've been skipped and that my chances are officially done? Or is there still a chance they just do things slightly out of order, and that I can still get in the next class? Seems very unfair and unprofessional...

Just now, LEO1990 said:

Congrats to the people who have been hired, but I noticed I have a higher list number than some of you. It makes me wonder why I wasn't called and was skipped over for no apparent reason. My record is clean, I'm healthy, and I don't do drugs. I was never even invited back to pre-orientation for the opportunity to take a drug test/medical. My question is, is that it for me? If they have begun hiring people who were behind me on the list, does that mean I've been skipped and that my chances are officially done? Or is there still a chance they just do things slightly out of order, and that I can still get in the next class? Seems very unfair and unprofessional...

I would give them a call, that skip over thing they do really sucks. It happened to someone else in here unfortunately that was trying to comeback to transit.