Cleanest to Dirtiest subway cars

R3216068E

I was just wondering in your opinions what are the cleanest subway cars or the dirtiest? I was on an R68 (G) train the other day and notice a little rust forming around the bulk heads and I've also noticed lots of garbage on the interior of an R42 (J) train. IMO R160s have the cleanest interiors.

I always find the R160s to be a pleasant clean ride overall, even when they're on the (C), which has some disgusting, repulsive stations in Upper Manhattan.  The R68 trains are quite dirty, especially on the (D) line.  Smell horrible too.  Considering how old the R32s are they are relatively clean. The sterile decor is just depressing to look at. 

R188's are definitely quite clean on the inside. The people at Time Square who clean trains actually look like they are committed. I see people mopping the floors of the trains even during rush hour with crowds, and they won't stop until the whole floor is mopped. One dude even held the doors just to finish mopping the train. 

R188's are definitely quite clean on the inside. The people at Time Square who clean trains actually look like they are committed. I see people mopping the floors of the trains even during rush hour with crowds, and they won't stop until the whole floor is mopped. One dude even held the doors just to finish mopping the train. 

That could depend on the station and the manager on the line. Some managers are better than others and monitor the situation better overall.

Arbitrary, but the yellow spots on the R142A side signs just give me the impression no one cares about the state of those cars. Some of the 142As I get in smell pretty bad and have weird white residue on the strip maps. However, this isn't the case on the (4).

The cleanest has to go to the 188s. I think the brighter lighting attributes to this as well.

Let me save everyone some time:

"[X] line has the cleanest cars." "No [Y] is the cleanest."

"Newer cars are cleaner."

"The old cars are ugly, dirt-infested rat traps."

"What's the difference, they're all dirty."

I think that covers most of the arguments. Seriously though, it's only going to get worse with the continuing removal of the trash cans.

Seriously though, it's only going to get worse with the continuing removal of the trash cans.

Really? There was a report that claims that the removal of garbage cans are working.  I guess I'll take their word on it since I have avoided using the subway for a while. I think I used the (F) several weeks ago to get to 2nd Avenue... Station looked filthy as usual...

Let me save everyone some time:

"[X] line has the cleanest cars." "No [Y] is the cleanest."

"Newer cars are cleaner."

"The old cars are ugly, dirt-infested rat traps."

"What's the difference, they're all dirty."

I think that covers most of the arguments. Seriously though, it's only going to get worse with the continuing removal of the trash cans.

Not only that... but being clean and dirty can change at the drop of a hat. What happens if a car goes in for maintenance? It gets cleaned. And what happens if it snows and everyone tracks in sludge and dirt? It gets dirty again. This is a pointless ranking, it's like pointing to the sky and ranking the brightest or bluest you have ever seen it to be.

Not only that... but being clean and dirty can change at the drop of a hat. What happens if a car goes in for maintenance? It gets cleaned. And what happens if it snows and everyone tracks in sludge and dirt? It gets dirty again. This is a pointless ranking, it's like pointing to the sky and ranking the brightest or bluest you have ever seen it to be.

Oh please.  That's general dirt that is dealt with and usually cleaned and mopped.  We're talking about cars that are just filthy and need deep cleaning like the ones they supposedly receive when they are overhauled.

Oh please. That's general dirt that is dealt with and usually cleaned and mopped. We're talking about cars that are just filthy and need deep cleaning like the ones they supposedly receive when they are overhauled.

It only takes you to complain about every little thing about the subway that happens to any line/car

Oh please.  That's general dirt that is dealt with and usually cleaned and mopped.  We're talking about cars that are just filthy and need deep cleaning like the ones they supposedly receive when they are overhauled.

Oh really? And how do you figure that your previous comments about the R68s fall into the latter category? What is this filth and how does it differentiate from grub and dirt that is tracked in the winter, by homeless people, by people eating messy food on the train, etc.? What makes you so confident that scrubbing the car down won't fix the problem?

Oh really? And how do you figure that your previous comments about the R68s fall into the latter category? What is this filth and how does it differentiate from grub and dirt that is tracked in the winter, by homeless people, by people eating messy food on the train, etc.? What makes you so confident that scrubbing the car down won't fix the problem?

Because the R68s were rehabbed already and they look ever worse than before.

....Seriously though, it's only going to get worse with the continuing removal of the trash cans.

Doesn't seem to be, at least on the (J).....

Maybe or maybe not related, but what I am noticing are more overflowing city garbage cans.....

Basically, I say that to say this - What I don't buy is this hypothesis that people are waiting to get home to chuck their trash....

You should see the middle track at Main St. behind the bumper block. People throwing their trash there. Just plain nasty.

True story - I have seen people do that in person (at Flushing - Main).... and it's the same shit used to go down at Flatbush av (2)(5) - don't know if it's still the case, since I haven't boarded or disembarked at that station in well over a year.......

lol.. Main St. in general is disgusting... Supposedly the new Chinatown...

....and what developers and/or realtors are saying that now???

If I were Asian, I would be offended.... Wherever you have a large congregation of Asians doesn't automatically equate to a Chinatown..... Bad enough we have these stupid hipsterized acronyms of nearby neighborhoods (e/g. the f*** is a BoCoCa....)

If I were Asian, I would be offended.... Wherever you have a large congregation of Asians doesn't automatically equate to a Chinatown..... Bad enough we have these stupid hipsterized acronyms of nearby neighborhoods (e/g. the f*** is a BoCoCa....)

No one calls it a Chinatown, but it is. It's not "new," and it's certainly not "supposedly."

Chinatown in Manhattan is being swallowed up by developers so the Chinese have to have some place to go that has affordable rents to open up shop.  Bensonhurst is heavily becoming Chinese, especially along 86th street as the few hold outs of Italians become smaller and smaller.  Flushing back in the day was more Japanese and Korean.  The Koreans have moved further as the Chinese establishments have grown.

He's not exactly wrong. As a Chinese person, the original Chinatown is basically a gentrifying shell of itself, and most times the food in Flushing is better than anything comparable in Chinatown. Brooklyn Chinatown is too dispersed to be the "new" center of the Chinese community.

He's not exactly wrong. As a Chinese person, the original Chinatown is basically a gentrifying shell of itself, and most times the food in Flushing is better than anything comparable in Chinatown. Brooklyn Chinatown is too dispersed to be the "new" center of the Chinese community.

I wasn't suggesting that he was... I was more making a separate point (which I'm quite annoyed at/with)....

Archived