Member Feedback & Suggestion Thread

SevenEleven

I'm starting this thread up again. If you have any feedback for the staff or any suggestions on anything, post it here. Over the next couple of weeks, we will be working on a lot of front and back end things to make the experience here more welcoming and enjoyable. I'll let you know the progress of things that can be implemented. For the time being, enjoy the new signature regulations:

Max Size: 800px (L) x 150px (W)

Max Images/URLS: 5

Stuff Being Worked On

-Decluttering The Forums (*cough* subway *cough*)

-Member Titles, Badges, etc.

-Photo Of The Month

-Arcade

-Rule Enforcement & Things of That Nature

As Culver would say, I'm about to throw shit on a wall here.... let's see how this goes:

1) Forum archiving..... It's good that we have virtually no necroposting on here, but still, I think this is something that could loom useful in the longrun... Larger webforums have this & it works quite well.... One condition of having a thread archived would be, if that thread has not been posted in, in 'x' amount of months or so, the thread gets automatically a] locked & b] moved to an "Archive" subforum....

side note: If a thread has literally 0 replies, those posts should automatically get deleted after 30 days (well, I say 30, since that's the number we used to use on another forum, but you guys can determine that number to be whatever)....

2) Stickied topics.... Other users have brought up the amount of them in the bus/subway sections, but I'm bringing up stickies for a totally different reason....

Now I'm not exactly sure what the reason is (be it due to laziness, lack of things to want to talk about (transit-related), lack of "new news" (lol), or whatever), but for a while now, the most active topics on this forum - are the "stickied" topics... This wouldn't be a problem if new &  separate discussions (threads) were being created concurrent to the activity in the Random thoughts threads (bus/subway), but that's the problem IMO (in the bus section much more so than the subway section)..... Basically anything bus related is being mentioned in the bus random thoughts threads, and like no threads are being created.... The subway section is seeing a little more new threads in comparison, but I remember days where I could click on the 2nd page in the subway section & most of the page would still have active threads in it....

I say that to say this.... The random thoughts threads serve their purpose, but at the same time, it's deterring from having separate discussions..... At least, that's the way I'm seeing it.....

3) The chatroom & the shoutbox.... Have both ran their course IMO...

The chatroom as you know used to be a haven for drama, and I believe I brought having gotten rid of the thing at least once in the past for that very reason.... The shoutbox these days is nothing more than (what I like to call) a "deadbox".... I would replace both of these things with the arcade sector of the forum that you say is being worked on....

4) The Other Regional & World Transit System subforum... Any way it can be streamlined somehow?

For instance, having the NICE, SCT, and NJT forum within the Regional Transit Systems forum....

Also, the Roads/Highways forum, Student Transport, and the Aviation forums IMO are just as "General" as Transit Modeling & Sim's to me, but that's w/e.... In any case, I would lump all the threads in those 3 forums (underlined) into a forum of its own (which would have about 600 topics within that made forum, which is as much topics that the Amtrak forum has alone).... Whether that made forum remains under the Other Regional & World Transit System subforum or the General Forums section is fine by me....

Ultimately, what I'm getting at with this is the amount of scrolling on the main forums page... No offense, but the amount of scrolling on the main forums page isn't commensurate with the amount of activity we have outside of the Bus & Subway sections....

5) Looks like you're already working on that, but there should be more focus on transit media (pics/clips) than there currently is.... So much so that I'd make a forum for that alone! I don't shoot any media & respect the posters that do, and quite frankly, I think a lot of media is being slept on... Too tucked away within a sub-subforum...

That's all I got right now... Hope "shit" didn't stink too bad stinks.gif

3) The chatroom & the shoutbox.... Have both ran their course IMO...

The chatroom as you know used to be a haven for drama, and I believe I brought having gotten rid of the thing at least once in the past for that very reason.... The shoutbox these days is nothing more than (what I like to call) a "deadbox".... I would replace both of these things with the arcade sector of the forum that you say is being worked on....

As dead as the chat and shout box have been I wouldn't get rid of them.  It would just make things worse...

As Culver would say, I'm about to throw shit on a wall here.... let's see how this goes:

1) Forum archiving..... It's good that we have virtually no necroposting on here, but still, I think this is something that could loom useful in the longrun... Larger webforums have this & it works quite well.... One condition of having a thread archived would be, if that thread has not been posted in, in 'x' amount of months or so, the thread gets automatically a] locked & b] moved to an "Archive" subforum....

side note: If a thread has literally 0 replies, those posts should automatically get deleted after 30 days (well, I say 30, since that's the number we used to use on another forum, but you guys can determine that number to be whatever)....

I disagree with that one because you have photo threads that has 0 replies but still has likes to that post so I wouldn't go that far with it

I disagree with that one because you have photo threads that has 0 replies but still has likes to that post so I wouldn't go that far with it

Member uploaded media based threads would be exempt.... I'm obviously not focused on those zero post threads....

I'm well aware of there being a lack of posting in media based threads.... I wouldn't advocate for having a separate forum for them if the vast majority of said threads would be eliminated.....

As dead as the chat and shout box have been I wouldn't get rid of them.  It would just make things worse...

Make what worse? I don't follow what you're getting at.......

In the sense if there is a few people, it'll be easier to talk about it in the chatroom rather than going through multiple threads and forums on this, since the chats in the chatroom have always tended change a lot. I get that the chatbox has been chaotic before, and it may have a negative reputation because of it (there isn't as much activity in there after the shitshow about two years ago or so), however I believe one of them should be maintained. I mean, of the "recent" discussions in the chatroom, they were decent.

In the sense if there is a few people, it'll be easier to talk about it in the chatroom rather than going through multiple threads and forums on this, since the chats in the chatroom have always tended change a lot. I get that the chatbox has been chaotic before, and it may have a negative reputation because of it (there isn't as much activity in there after the shitshow about two years ago or so), however I believe one of them should be maintained. I mean, of the "recent" discussions in the chatroom, they were decent.

I would still get rid of both, but if one of them had to go over the other, I'd choose the chatroom over the shoutbox....

Arcade??  :huh:

You don't remember the arcade? Back on the old forum platform, there was the arcade where members could play minigames and compete to get the best scores.

1) Forum archiving.....

This was an idea that I came up with a while back. Originally, I was going to use it for cleaning out a lot of the popular threads, so that members viewing from the mobile site (while not being logged in), would be able to check the latest posts without having to go through 1000 pages. I'll revisit this and see how we could archive/organize topics from the entire site/

2) Stickied topics....

All the activity being focused in the stickied topics was my justification for unsticking them, as well. Then again, that was the reason that they were stickied in the first place.

3) The chatroom & the shoutbox....

I'm for removing one but not both. I rather the shoutbox stay as opposed to the chat. The chat causing performance issues in your browser, the longer you stay in it. (At least for me, it did)

4) The Other Regional & World Transit System subforum... Any way it can be streamlined somehow?

This will take some initial brainstorming but this will be addressed. 

5) Looks like you're already working on that, but there should be more focus on transit media (pics/clips) than there currently is.... So much so that I'd make a forum for that alone! I don't shoot any media & respect the posters that do, and quite frankly, I think a lot of media is being slept on... Too tucked away within a sub-subforum...

I wouldn't archive topics, there'd be the hassle of making a new thread again.

Depending on which threads they are. I mean some threads such as those in the Bus Manufacturing Industry forum would be archived.

I started working with the sticked threads in each forum. The threads that remained are on the basis that they are informative. As you notice, the "Random Thoughts" threads and other game like threads were unstickied. I'll continue going through each forum and adjusting as necessary. Also, I will start working on the forum index.

• 5 weeks later...

I started working with the sticked threads in each forum. The threads that remained are on the basis that they are informative. As you notice, the "Random Thoughts" threads and other game like threads were unstickied. I'll continue going through each forum and adjusting as necessary. Also, I will start working on the forum index.

I would love to see NYCTF try something similar to the WhichWMATA contest on GreaterGreaterWashington (http://greatergreaterwashington.org/whichwmata)...

A weekly guess the station contest.5 pics a week.Put up the contest on Monday,close it Wed or Thurs. answers posted on Friday...

• 2 weeks later...

Photo of the Month Contest is open: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/48271-rail-potm-december-2015/

Information Thread: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/48263-photo-of-the-month-information-thread/

Can we bring back the brown  (M) in the chat room?

Working on it. (As well as the other retro bullets) If anyone has the image file of the brown M, post it here and I'll add it in.

(M)(brownM)

Photo of the Month Contest is open: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/48271-rail-potm-december-2015/

Information Thread: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/48263-photo-of-the-month-information-thread/

Working on it. (As well as the other retro bullets) If anyone has the image file of the brown M, post it here and I'll add it in.

(M)(brownM)

Awesome. Thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

I started on streamlining the forum index. Here are the changes that I've made so far:

• The MTA Press Releases & Student Transportation forums have been archived for inactivity.
  • The LIRR/MNRR & Staten Island Railway forums have been merged and subsequently renamed MTA Railroads.
  • The Art & Graphic Design forum has been moved to the Off-Topic Lounge.

I started on streamlining the forum index. Here are the changes that I've made so far:

• The MTA Press Releases & Student Transportation forums have been archived for inactivity.
  • The LIRR/MNRR & Staten Island Railway forums have been merged and subsequently renamed MTA Railroads.
  • The Art & Graphic Design forum has been moved to the Off-Topic Lounge.

I was about to ask what happened with LIRR/MNRR. Like did something big happen while I was unaware (like an actual merger or something)? Lol

• 9 months later...

The avatar and signature display size within posts have now been increased. If you had a signature that was over 100px in height (pic+text), it would appear cut off in posts. That has been resolved. My sig is exactly 200px in height, so you can see how much under it gets cut off. Your avatars are obv. bigger as well.

Over the next couple of days, I will be working on uploading bigger versions to default avatars and other images to match the increase in size.

ALSO:

- Editing your profile and signatures should not be a problem anymore. If it is, let me know and I'll look into it.

- This thread is still an active suggestion thread, so you have something in mind, feel free to speak up.

Archived