MTA Bus Operator Kills Elderly Woman on Left-Turn, Continues Driving

MHV9218

That is a huge intersection and that woman was big and wearing bright clothes. I'm pretty sure rushing was a big reason why he hit that lady. These drivers dont realize that the MTA may give u a schedule but if u can't make the time just go at your own pace. The MTA will never tell the driver to go faster so I'm not sure why drivers rush.

What funny is that we all know that the (MTA) is never on time with anything.......

What's pathetic is that most of the schedules have been adjusted to allow them to drive slower, so I'm not sure what the problem is now, but you're right those schedules are almost becoming useless because they're generally 20 - 30  minutes late just about EVERY DAY, even late nights on weekends.

Cue the pitchforks because I am about to play devil's advocate. While there have been similar incidents past in which the driver stayed at the scene (and have been arrested as per VZ), there are some folks who react differently when coming across gruesome events such as this (R I P to the lady). Unfortunately on all counts B/O made a (series of) poor choice, he'll have to do the Vision Zero protocol, and he's going to be experiencing all manner of hell to say the least.

You can see, in the NBC video, that he slows while he runs over her body, and the bus actually bumps up and down, and then he guns it away. He knew what he did. The "Vision Zero protocol" is exactly what he should do, followed by the Rikers protocol...

You can see, in the NBC video, that he slows while he runs over her body, and the bus actually bumps up and down, and then he guns it away. He knew what he did. The "Vision Zero protocol" is exactly what he should do, followed by the Rikers protocol...

Most of those buses have on board cameras. I wonder if this bus had one...

And I keep saying there needs to be higher standards in place to hire these drivers and everyone attacks me for saying so...  <_<

And I keep saying there needs to be higher standards in place to hire these drivers and everyone attacks me for saying so...  <_<

Thing is, that's not going to work. In this case, he was a driver for 15 years, he was well beyond his probation and 5 away from a possible retirement. He made a costly error that affected a lot of lives and he's going to have to live with that

Thing is, that's not going to work. In this case, he was a driver for 15 years, he was well beyond his probation and 5 away from a possible retirement. He made a costly error that affected a lot of lives and he's going to have to live with that

Well in his case no but for new hires there should be changes.  I keep hearing complaints about high turnover and guys getting fired for XYZ... 

I mean, they're his family--I'd expect them to be stupidly biased. It's the transit employees making ignorant 'you guys don't know the whole picture' comments are being foolish here.

Speaking of foolish: "If he knew it was a person I know he would have stopped. You have to understand, he's driving a big bus, it's a lot of weight, he probably thought it was trash,"

...so says the sister-in-law, Deione Gray. If you're going to say something so unbelievably stupid and insensitive, you might as well shut your ignorant mouth without even making a comment to the papers.  

I mean, they're his family--I'd expect them to be stupidly biased. It's the transit employees making ignorant 'you guys don't know the whole picture' comments are being foolish here.

Speaking of foolish: "If he knew it was a person I know he would have stopped. You have to understand, he's driving a big bus, it's a lot of weight, he probably thought it was trash,"

...so says the sister-in-law, Deione Gray. If you're going to say something so unbelievably stupid and insensitive, you might as well shut your ignorant mouth without even making a comment to the papers.

Yeah everyone knows that family will try to defend you the best they can. What kills me is their excuses, especially the sister in law, on why the driver shouldn't go to jail.

I agree... That's probably why he ran over her like that... Thought she was nothing more than trash.  Some of these guys think they're above the general public because they drive a bus.  It's disturbing to say the least.  I'm willing to wait and hear the full story, but I just wish the pathetic excuses for this guy's behavior would be dropped.  It's a slap in the face to the family that lost this lady.

Additionally, even if he had a blind spot, the question still remains why didn't he stop and get out after he hit her? Is he seriously trying to say that he didn't know that he hit something?

Most of those buses have on board cameras. I wonder if this bus had one...

This was an older mid-2000s O7, without cameras. As for the incident himself, if he had stayed at the scene, he wouldn't be in the world of trouble he is in now. Right now, termination is the least of his problems. Tragedies happen, but in things like this, it's the leaving the scene that gets one in real trouble. I'm surprised that his family said what they did.

Lmao can't help but laugh at the some of the things people say. I find it as an insult to the lady because it's seems like they though of her as being like trash so I guess hitting her was justified smh. What kind of trash gets put into the street like that anyway and it's was a loud thump when the bus ran her over. I still think about how she looked after the hit and run. The bus pretty much mutilated her and while we may see things like that in video games it is unimaginable seeing it in real life. The driver clearly saw her and why he didn't stop is a mystery.

The Vision Zero doesn't say you "automatically" go to jail. It pretty much says you automatically get a misdemeanor or felony should you strike a person while driving, even if you stay at the scene.

**Unless they've changed something recently which I haven't seen.

The Vision Zero doesn't say you "automatically" go to jail. It pretty much says you automatically get a misdemeanor or felony should you strike a person while driving, even if you stay at the scene.

**Unless they've changed something recently which I haven't seen.

It doesn't say that either. There's nothing "automatic" about it. It's simply the law being followed. If you fail to yield--which is your personal screwup, and an offense that fails your driver's test and is ticketable--then you are charged. 

Archived