R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

There is one little caveat to door operation. We don’t talk about it much, but on CBTC active lines (so the L, 7 and Queens Corridor), it is the computer that allows me to open the doors, not T/O.

while I do not get the full CBTC readout on the control console like my partner does, I do get status messages. When my train makes a proper stop in CBTC territory, I should see “train berthed” and “CBTC door enable” on my screen, meaning I can open the doors.

however i am not supposed to rely on that, to the point I don’t look at it unless I don’t like the board position want to double check. That I’m good. Some stations have boards that are literally no longer than from the tip of my fingers to my elbow.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/23/2023 at 9:14 AM, FLX9304 said:

I’ve seen full length R46s run on the (C) during the weekday hours. Remember: the (C) only has 84 8 car R179s, which only makes 10 trains. For the (C) to get full service, it has to get the R46s from the (A). Once 8th Ave goes fully CBTC, then you can see a sea of New techs running up & down the (A)(C) and (E)

The (C) has 92 R179s.

52 minutes ago, R68ACTrain said:

Idk what exactly you want me to look at, but I was just correcting your number on C R179s

I think he meant that it was noted a couple posts (last Monday at 2 PM) before that the R179 count was at 92 instead of 88 (not that it's a major thing). 

You're right of the (C) using 92 cars. Breakdown of the R179 in-use on the (C) : 3150-3237 (88 cars = 11 8 car trains), 3146-3149 (helper 4-car as a spare and in-use). Almost 9-10 sets are in-use the whole day except late nights. 

Edited by Calvin

On 1/23/2023 at 5:06 PM, RandomRider0101 said:

Like I stated in the previous post, it would cause confusion among riders and operators. Riders who are standing at the far ends of the platforms already have to jog when a shorter train pulls into the station.

Average riders who use the (C) regularly might know by now that the newer trains are shorter and the older trains are longer. If the (C) were using the 8 car r179s and the 10 car r179s at the same time, riders wouldn't know until the train pulls all the way into the station.

I haven't even gotten to the operators yet; they might also forget whether they're operating an 8 car train or a 10 car train, which would be very problematic. This is why they need to move those 8 car trains off the (C) as soon as they have enough r211s in service.

Yes, but it makes no sense to send any R211s on the (C) as long as there are R46s on the (A). The (A) is just so much more used and has higher priority. The (C) can live with R46s displaced from the (A) 

5 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Yes, but it makes no sense to send any R211s on the (C) as long as there are R46s on the (A). The (A) is just so much more used and has higher priority. The (C) can live with R46s displaced from the (A) 

I don't dispute this; in fact this is what I was predicting might happen when a good chunk of the r211 base order is in service. The (C) can use the 10 car r179s after the 8 car trains are removed from the line. They can use r46s In the meantime.

5 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

I don't dispute this; in fact this is what I was predicting might happen when a good chunk of the r211 base order is in service. The (C) can use the 10 car r179s after the 8 car trains are removed from the line. They can use r46s In the meantime.

Yeah, I don't picture the 10-car R179s appearing on the (C) until the last R179 8-car unit  has been transferred out of 207 St Yard.

One question though; is it true that 207 St yard could only maintain 8-car trains? If so, is there a plan to upgrade the yard to handle 10-car trains, considering that the (C) now will likely be 600' trains? Otherwise, trains would have to be broken up into 300' consists so they can be in the shops.

22 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yeah, I don't picture the 10-car R179s appearing on the (C) until the last R179 8-car unit  has been transferred out of 207 St Yard.

One question though; is it true that 207 St yard could only maintain 8-car trains? If so, is there a plan to upgrade the yard to handle 10-car trains, considering that the (C) now will likely be 600' trains? Otherwise, trains would have to be broken up into 300' consists so they can be in the shops.

I don’t Know where you heard that from…

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

43 minutes ago, VIP said:

I don’t Know where you heard that from…

It was said before that 207th st yard is/was so ancient that they could only fit 8 car trains, and required an upgrade so that they could fit full length 10 car trains.

Not sure how true this is, but based on VIP's response that seems to not have been the case.

56 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

It was said before that 207th st yard is/was so ancient that they could only fit 8 car trains, and required an upgrade so that they could fit full length 10 car trains.

Not sure how true this is, but based on VIP's response that seems to not have been the case.

The Barn can't fit a full 600 foot train but this wouldn't stop them from getting 5 car (10 car units) as they can inspect 5 cars in each track on top of other equipment such as work cars and museum cars.

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The Barn can't fit a full 600 foot train but this wouldn't stop them from getting 5 car (10 car units) as they can inspect 5 cars in each track on top of other equipment such as work cars and museum cars.

You forgot they also inspect IRT cars as well

Edited by FLX9304

3 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Car #4054 has arrived to NYC. Looks like it’s accompanied by another car in this image:

<twitter link>

Drove by 4054 today (around 19:30 or so) on my way to an assignment and turns out it was accompanied by another 4-9 cars. Couldn’t stop to take a picture cause I was driving.

Completely forgot there was a second 211T prototype train coming. I knew all ten from the first were already here 

I actually had to fight the urge to climb up into the first last week to look around. Had a job out of Coney Island yard and it was just parked there, next to the barn, with both cab doors opened. 

On 1/26/2023 at 7:12 AM, RandomRider0101 said:

The 8 car r179's will most likely stay on the C until the first option order of r211's. The base order will displace all the r46s of the A/C.

5 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The 8 car r179's will most likely stay on the C until the first option order of r211's. The base order will displace all the r46s of the A/C.

https://new.mta.info/document/98291#page=10

I guess y'all forgot about this MTA document. On page 10, the following is clearly stated-

"The cars to be purchased under Option 1 will provide replacements for the R46 fleet that runs on the A and C lines."

This means that the (A)(C) lines will still be using r46s even after the r211 base order is completed. The r46s are not leaving these lines until the 1st option order arrives. The base order is for fleet expansion, not just replacement.

Update on the pilots at this hour:

Both 4040-4049 and 4060-4069 are at Pitkin

4050-4054 is at Coney Island for final fit out (gangways, third rail shoes, etc, etc)

2 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

"The cars to be purchased under Option 1 will provide replacements for the R46 fleet that runs on the A and C lines."

This means that the (A)(C) lines will still be using r46s even after the r211 base order is completed. The r46s are not leaving these lines until the 1st option order arrives. The base order is for fleet expansion, not just replacement.

While this is technically not wrong, (the (A) and (C) will in fact receive Option 1 cars) the majority of Option 1 will be going elsewhere.

4 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Yes I know, the (A) & (C) will only need a portion of option 1 to fulfill any needs & requirements.

Option 1 will make the C 100% full length. 

Option 1 will most likely be split between 207, Concourse and the B train. 

Option 2 should go to Jamaica. There is a huge possibility that the Option 2 will consist of r211Ts.

I just hope that Option 1 is delivered and in service before 8th Avenue CBTC is complete. A, B, C, D will need to be 100% NTTs for 8th Avenue CBTC.

On 1/28/2023 at 1:11 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Option 1 will make the C 100% full length. 

Option 1 will most likely be split between 207, Concourse and the B train. 

Option 2 should go to Jamaica. There is a huge possibility that the Option 2 will consist of r211Ts.

I just hope that Option 1 is delivered and in service before 8th Avenue CBTC is complete. A, B, C, D will need to be 100% NTTs for 8th Avenue CBTC.

The (B) will have to be transferred operations from CI to the Concourse in order for that line to be fully NTT. 

55 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

The (B) will have to be transferred operations from CI to the Concourse in order for that line to be fully NTT. 

Several times it has been said here that the "B" cannot be maintained at CCYD due to lack of barn space.  CIYD will still have to maintain that fleet.  It will be a good way to introduce the maintenance workers in the barn @ CIYD to learn how to maintain the R211's and the needed CBTC.  Transit can easily set up a yard track or 2 with the required CBTC in order to test the cars when needed.