R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

So are the R211’s back in service or are they still “Fixing propulsion issues”?? Seems very exaggerated how much time is being wasted to fix one issue, someone clarify to me what and where is the issue located, maybe I’ll change my mind

Maybe you should consider getting a job with the MTA, specifically the Car Equipment Division. That way you would get a better idea of why these things take so much time.

Did you forget what happened with the R179s? Do you wanna see that happen again? Do you wanna have hundreds of cars enter service, only for all of them to be pulled at one time bc the fleet keeps having multiple issues that ended up not being properly addressed?

The (MTA) cannot afford anymore bad publicity than what they already have, especially after the r179 fiasco. They need to take all the time they need to get these cars right before putting a bunch of them in service at one time.

I'm not sure how many times this has to be stated, when it has been said many times on here by multiple employees & non-employees alike. We need to be patient and let MTA and Kawasaki do their jobs. That job is fixing up these cars & ensuring that they are ready for full service.

Trust me, I wanna see more of these cars in service as well. But constantly complaining about how long things are taking and even suggesting that they're 'wasting time' is not gonna make the process move any faster.

(Sighs), anyways I think my rant is over now. Not sure if I hit all the points I could have but I think most ppl will get the gist here. Carry on.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

So are the R211’s back in service or are they still “Fixing propulsion issues”?? Seems very exaggerated how much time is being wasted to fix one issue, someone clarify to me what and where is the issue located, maybe I’ll change my mind

1 hour ago, JustTheSIR said:

What happened to the R211 pilot set? I’ve heard it’s been out of service due to propulsion problems but damage? I thought it just stalled out on a grade and they’re finding out why

All you 2 guys have to do is look back at proceeding pages for the answer.  It has been fully discussed.  Pay attention to both my posts and that of Kamen Rider.

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

No, that was an on the clock conversation between myself and a TSS who was literally in the process of certifying me to crew an R211. 

I asked him if he knew when they’d be on the road and he said “may-June-ish”

I'll say it again.  It was wrong.  The TSS and not you obviously didn't know what he/she/they were talking about.  They were on the road a day or two later.  It could well be that the higher ups heard they were planning May/June and said something to the effect of "what the hell are you waiting for?  They're ready now!"

4 hours ago, Railfanner Jake said:

Update on the project from this months CPOC Meeting. Production Cars moving along, Pilot testing should resume once there is resolution of a communications issue and timelines seem to be on or close to current dates. 

https://twitter.com/union_tpke/status/1659622440874459136/photo/1

There’s your update

28 minutes ago, MJHmarc said:

There’s your update

4 hours ago, Railfanner Jake said:

Update on the project from this months CPOC Meeting. Production Cars moving along, Pilot testing should resume once there is resolution of a communications issue and timelines seem to be on or close to current dates. 

These issues will cause delays with 8th Avenue CBTC.

A, B, C, D  trains will all need to be 100% NTTs before 8th Avenue CBTC is done.

Idk if it's just me, but it feels like a significantly higher proportion of operating (A) fleet has been R46s lately compared to R179s? Anyone know if there's actually something going on here; perhaps they're transferring more R46s to the (A) so they can just be replaced when the R211s start entering service without a fleet swap. Idk.

12 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Idk if it's just me, but it feels like a significantly higher proportion of operating (A) fleet has been R46s lately compared to R179s? Anyone know if there's actually something going on here; perhaps they're transferring more R46s to the (A) so they can just be replaced when the R211s start entering service without a fleet swap. Idk.

It's just you, Pitkin lately has been minimizing R46 usage, from what I've noticed. 

6 hours ago, Railfanner Jake said:

One thing that confirms what I heard is that the R211S is a prototype. This would basically mean the MTA could do whatever to it after testing concludes with it basically the same thing with the R110's, right? It isn't a pilot and it would be dumb to not keep them around after, but it's possible.

34 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

There's only 13 sets of R179s assigned to the (A) out of like 40+ trains and it's highly unlikely that all 13 sets are in service at the same time.

There's far more R46s assigned to Pikin compared to R179s. 179s were always an minority in the (A) line fleet.

Edited by trainfan22

18 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

One thing that confirms what I heard is that the R211S is a prototype. This would basically mean the MTA could do whatever to it after testing concludes with it basically the same thing with the R110's, right? It isn't a pilot and it would be dumb to not keep them around after, but it's possible.

There are 75 of them. If that seems like a prototype to you, then I have a bridge to sell you.

2 hours ago, Vulturious said:

No, it's not.

Since there's 75 of these coming....that's far from being a prototype. The 211Ts are moreso prototypes if that's the set of cars you meant.

15 hours ago, zacster said:

I'll say it again.  It was wrong.  The TSS and not you obviously didn't know what he/she/they were talking about.  They were on the road a day or two later.  It could well be that the higher ups heard they were planning May/June and said something to the effect of "what the hell are you waiting for?  They're ready now!"

In this case, "on the road" would mean running the A line in test service, certainly not passenger service.  IJS!

11 hours ago, Vulturious said:

the word prototype is used lightly for the set as once it’s passed testing it will be part of the fleet. The R211T is more near to a real prototype but even if there’s only 20 cars of them they will be kept just like the R110 etc. Mock ups are only trashed. 

24 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

At stations, it shows exits, stairs, what car you are in, and additional connections.

Oh Awesome! The features I was excited for has finally been added. I've seen those kinds of cool diagrams in many Asian metro systems (mainly China and Japan) so its exciting to see them in NYC too.

4 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

the word prototype is used lightly for the set as once it’s passed testing it will be part of the fleet. The R211T is more near to a real prototype but even if there’s only 20 cars of them they will be kept just like the R110 etc. Mock ups are only trashed. 

I'm not going to give myself a headache with this topic, but wouldn't a more accurate term like "pilot" have been used instead for the R211S if this were the case?

14 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

No, it's not.

Since there's 75 of these coming....that's far from being a prototype. The 211Ts are moreso prototypes if that's the set of cars you meant.

16 hours ago, Lex said:

There are 75 of them. If that seems like a prototype to you, then I have a bridge to sell you.

I was only saying that cause in the specific slide for the R211S, it says "prototype" while every other slide discussing the R211's in general says pilot. It's whatever, at this point I'm just concerned whether we can get them in as soon as possible,

That R211 passenger train won't be back service to its expected time (4060-4069). But, better to see if they can go another 30-days without flaws to play it safe. 

Edited by Calvin