R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

Yeah there was an issue with the door lights and maybe a door but seems to be fixed, some are saying a software roll back as the FIND is back to the way it was on the first run and no door light issues today. 

Thanks.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JustTheSIR said:

Well, would it being integrated into the 8th Avenue CBTC project make it any easier, like CBTC telling the train which track it’s going on at the terminal, or in the case of a G.O.?

If you note my comment a few hours later

15 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

In CBTC mode, the computers take over the door enable function from the train operator. So ideally speaking, the computers could also control which side lights up. 

in theory it can work. In practice is going to be another story.

1 minute ago, NBTA said:

Am I one of the few that actually like it?

I like both the circle and diamond SI bullets. Luckily SI is the only double letter sign, I have a hard time seeing MM or NX being good in an alternate universe.

Looking at the video that everyone is talking about, the door lights did not actually glitch out. The train was using the local program on the express track so the train thought the doors were going to open on the left but actually opened on the right. This suggests that the door lights and Door Open sign are linked to whatever program the train is signed up for.

2 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Looking at the video that everyone is talking about, the door lights did not actually glitch out. The train was using the local program on the express track so the train thought the doors were going to open on the left but actually opened on the right. This suggests that the door lights and Door Open sign are linked to whatever program the train is signed up for.

Well, shows what I know, just some more fine-tunning, tweak adjustments, a software patch, whatever and it should be less jank I guess.

7 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Honestly, it feels like the the "SI" is too big. The diamond is clearly as large as it can be though cause the edges literally go off the screen. Perhaps they should just call both the local and express "S".

It looks weird at first, but I actually sort of like this. I wonder how the local bullet will look.

9 hours ago, NBTA said:

Am I one of the few that actually like it?

I actually like it to a degree.  I think it's an innovative way to give Staten Island riders a clear visual of what the trains intended route is and given that this is a "generational" fleet for Staten Island Railway it doesn't hurt to try out something new.

But..... it's New York, you can't please everyone here. 

On 5/20/2023 at 8:12 PM, Vulturious said:

Just from the thumbnail alone, I feel like the door indicators lighting up and the "<--> DOORS OPEN" should've been clear warning there's something wrong, almost like it was foreshadowing door malfunctions which that did happen. Even in the video, the indicators lit up on the wrong side of the train. There was also a video of the R211 making next stop announcements when in leaving the station.

Can confirm that they undid this update. Probably still working on the software.

26 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

Can confirm that they undid this update. Probably still working on the software.

I was on the train yesterday and I was wondering when the doors open was going to appear. 

Probably for stations where the train can open up on either side, there is a prompt on the TOD where the C/R can press which sides will open. 

2 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

Why hasn't anyone been replying for 3 days? What is going on? Is this thread dead or somethin? I think today is the 8th day of the R211A 30-day acceptance testing. So, yay. Time goes by 2 fast for me.

No news I guess. Do we have any news on new cars being delivered? It has been a couple of weeks already.

Apparently, we are supposed to get the last R211T set by the end of the month but it ends on Wednesday so it might not even arrive by then.

26 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

Why hasn't anyone been replying for 3 days? What is going on? Is this thread dead or somethin? I think today is the 8th day of the R211A 30-day acceptance testing. So, yay. Time goes by 2 fast for me.

It’s still running after the software roll back. 

23 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

No news I guess. Do we have any news on new cars being delivered? It has been a couple of weeks already.

Apparently, we are supposed to get the last R211T set by the end of the month but it ends on Wednesday so it might not even arrive by then.

The R211T soft shell 5 car has been out there testing while waiting for the other 5 to come. Have not heard anymore about the hard shell set doing test but it’s not a focus for this year anyways so.

44 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

The MTA almost never gets things on time in my personal op, but hopefully it comes. And the first sentence makes sense. Nothing big is going on rn, so that's probably why n one was saying anything. Actually, I'm trying to go to Coney today or tm, but...

2 hours ago, Ale188 said:

calm down.....theres nothing new

4 hours ago, Ale188 said:

No news is good news. It means that the pilot train is doing well with testing.

Also, we are busy with either work or school.

Be patient.